Suggestions for a 5 day Colorado loop

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jmmartin79, Jun 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jmmartin79

jmmartin79 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I am looking to plan a 5 day loop in Colorado on my KTM 690, after falling in love with the state on my way 2017 TAT adventure. I was planning on the COBDR last year, but due to the snow and pass closures, I hit as much of the UTBDR as I could by doing a 5 day loop from Moab. I have looked at the loops by Gpskevin and searched the forum here, but have a little bit more time to plan and thought I would ask for some help. I’m planning on starting in mid august and will be driving up from New Orleans with the bike in the bed of the truck. 1 week off work plus the drive gives me a max of 5 days on the trail. (I wish I had longer!) I’ll be with a mate on another 690 and we have enough skills between us to handle some aggressive terrain, although aches and pains from years past mean we are looking for scenery and flowing trails rather than serious tech challenge! Happy to share anything I learnt from the TAT or UTBDR on separate threads if interested. Any GPX / GPS tracks you will be willing to share to piece a loop together beyond appreciated. Cheers all!
  2. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alpine loop around Lake City and Silverton will be very nice. So many options it's hard to make a recommendation. Haggerman pass should be fine in Aug, pic taken Aug 31. The area around Leadville and Buena vista is great. (Plenty of good breweries). Avoid Aspin and Park County. Keep us posted. I'd like to meet you at a campsite for a beer and get some beta on the TAT. Wife and I may try that in a couple of yrs. Need to get her confidence in the dirt up. 548359193.jpg
    jmmartin79 likes this.
  3. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    You can't go wrong basing in Silverton area, so many passes-combos to do from there.
    jmmartin79 and Cow Boy Brad like this.
  4. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lotsa good stuff in the Rockies regional. Sounds like you plan to ditch the truck/trailer and loop from somewhere?....
    I'd say try to park somewhere near South Fork or Del Norte. Start day one by going south up to Summitville and then head north on the CDT. Two days north of there will probably have you somewhere around Keystone and I-70. Head west on the CBDR back towards Cortez.
    jmmartin79 likes this.
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    jmmartin79 and scarysharkface like this.
  6. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Go-to Rockies forum read coming to Colorado thread.

I suggest you buy a Colorado OHV sticker it includes Backcountry rescue insurance ... Bikes with plates still need sticker on most jeep trails and all single tract.

If it is a forest service "road" no sticker need ...if it is a forest service "trail" sticker is needed ...roads turn into trails with no signage ..it can be tough to determine where you need to sticker and where you do not ...just buy the sticker then no issues

Good luck

Scott
    jmmartin79 and ibgary like this.
  7. jmmartin79

jmmartin79 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions! I’m starting to build a 5 day adventure based on a selection from all your comments above. I’ll share where I have got to shortly and planning to start third week in August. I’ll be filming and writing a ride report - I’ll aspire to match the same quality I’ve seen on here so far! Cheers