Suggestions for independent mechanic for a GS-LC near Denver?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by flybigjet, Jul 27, 2019.

1. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I could do stuff myself-- but time is more important to me than money at this point in my life (i.e. if I take a bike apart, it'll sit for six months before I get to putting it back together. This is the voice of experience talking).

So. Any suggestions for a good independent mechanic for a 2015 R1200GS in the Denver area?

Specifically for 6000 mile service, brake job, and tire replacement when I get home from my summer road trip.

The dealer is easy and friendly (I'm just a few miles south of Foothills), but I'd like to avoid putting the owner's kid through college and his wife into a Porsche if I don't have to.

I've had good experiences with them to date, but they're a bit pricy.

TIA.

R.
    EditReport
  2. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    Call TFOG in Golden. Its become my go to for tires but I know he works on BMWs also. Jim is a great guy.

Many people are happy with Pete from Barvarian Motorcycles West. I was very frustrated with him.

If I had to choose a dealer I've had much better experiences with BMW of Denver than Foothills.
    Bushyar15 likes this.
  4. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    ???

This makes no sense to me, especially when you start throwing words around like "integrity" if I don't go to the dealer.

By your argument, every person whose purchased JVB's discs or a GS-11 should be taken out and flogged for doing work on their own bikes instead of bringing it to the dealer.

Additionally, if I can get the same level of service done from an independent shop at a lower price, that a) brings business to the independent (thus keeping *their* doors open, b) shows financial prudence (just because I can afford to pay higher prices for non-technical work at the dealer doesn't mean I should), and c) forces the dealer to keep a "reality check" on their prices.

Additionally, by this logic, nobody should ever buy a used bike-- there should only be new bike sales from the dealer, in order to "help him keep his doors open".

So, I"m a little confused where you're going with this.....
    Bushyar15 likes this.
  5. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    Thanks--

Foothills is certainly more convenient to me, location wise than BMW of Denver and to date, I've had nothing but good luck with their service and parts department.

I just don't really want to pay dealer prices for simple things like oil and tire changes.
  6. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    Oh--

Bavarian Motorcycles West's website seems to be down and according to Yelp, they've closed their business?

One other independent I ran across when looking was Colorado Moto Service, but I haven't heard of them before. Anyone have any knowledge of?

https://coloradomotoservice.com

I'm just looking for convenient, close, competent and easy for minor things like a 6000 mile service/oil change, and tire replacement.
  7. Side_Kick

Side_Kick a.k.a. Consolation Prize

Oddometer:
    Peak Performance is just up the road from Foothills on Wadsworth.
    Conner is a certified BMW mechanic and has done great work on every brand bike I have taken him, including BMW's
    http://mobile.pppowersports.comcastbiz.net/
    Charleetho likes this.
  8. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    Colorado Moto Service has great reviews from all that I've heard have gone there, l would definitely check them out.
  9. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    perhaps, you missed the part where i said "no judgment. do what feels in alignment with your integrity". this means, i feel indifferent about what you choose to do. i merely shared another perspective.

aligning with your integrity means do what feels appropriate at your core. integrity varies from one person to another. do what resonates with your heart. there's no right or wrong choice. neither or us knows whose choice ultimately benefits the universe. i believe that, as long as your action arises from integrity -whatever that means to you, it's more likely to benefit the universe. be joy.

peace and poise are yours.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The OP did his part, he bought the bike recently. Those declining numbers are a reflection of the fact that millennials aren't into motorcycles as much as previous generations which is unfortunate.
    Bushyar15 and grace like this.
  11. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    pete did me right, hope he's still in business
    Lomax likes this.
  12. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Foothills broke my buddies radiator during an engine rebuild and told him he had to pay out of pocket for it
  13. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Todd Andenes in Denver works on beemers in his garage, and does nice work. PM me for contact info.
  14. 200GRLSWC

200GRLSWC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in Mr. Andenes contact information, as well. (Tried to PM, but not sure how that works here these days.)