Suguta Valley, Kenya - At last

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Osadabwa, Aug 12, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't even know where to start with the comments on this one @Osadabwa. Have been following your reports for some time now, enjoyed each and every one of 'em (distinguished gentlemen, solo riding finding tracks, etc).

Saying "Wow" doesn't quite cover it. I think it's pretty damn amazing that the three of you went to explore the Suguta valley, that's a truly epic adventure. I can't imagine riding to such a remote place, even with a sat phone and a friend with a helicopter. That's real adventure man, it'd still take a good chunk of time for a chopper to reach you guys if something went completely pear-shaped.

Had a good solid laugh at the vibrator for rent and your comment :lol3 :lol3. Also Neb being a reactionary mechanic...lol.

Big props to you guys for pulling this one off and making it back with only a few issues along the way. The dehydration must have been scary as hell, 6L of water consumed and still dehydrated gives me an idea of what it must have been like. I typically go through 3-5 liters on a ride out in the Oregon desert, but the temps aren't as high and the terrain isn't as challenging (always).

Appreciate you taking the time to put this together, I hope the other inmates take the time to check it out and post up their thoughts. Fantastic :ricky :thumb :thumbup :nod
  2. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In this context:
    Osadabwa asked how things were and the answer was akin to: so-so
    eaglescan likes this.
  3. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    Wry shares the RR with some non bikers who asked him if he saw the lions... to which he replied: "Lions?"

The story goes that a heli safari to Suguta had landed in the valley when they spotted lions nearby that showed too much interest so they took off. Landing several KM away to climb on foot to a viewpoint, they got a shock when they spotted the lions running full tilt to their position. It was a race to the chopper and the bipedal group only just made it, with the lions jumping after them trying to catch a ski...

Now I don't know if that's true or not... we didn't see a hell of a lot of game to support crazy assed lions... but it would have made our little siesta under the palms less relaxing if I'd heard the story before the ride!
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That's nucking futs man, don't imagine that would've been a relaxing siesta with that knowledge ahead of time...lol.

Can a pig outrun a lion? Or at least can your pig outrun the other pigs along for the rip :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  5. WHYNOWTHEN

WHYNOWTHEN where are the pedals?

Oddometer:
    Nice one!
    I almost missed this little RR.
    Thank you once again for the adventure stories
    Osadabwa likes this.
  6. Osadabwa

Oddometer:
    Seven days from today, I'll be back in those dunes.

I

Can't

Wait!
    James59, eaglescan, liv2day and 2 others like this.
  7. Dillard

Dillard Seeker Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure how I missed this report last year but it's awesome, as usual. I'm a big fan of your posts and looking forward to the next installment, lions or not.
    Osadabwa likes this.
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Now that's great to read @Osadabwa, have enjoyed your fictional RRs, but look forward to following along from another trip out there :D
  9. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like to think I am your biggest fan. That was a great ride and photos of like you say, not many have ever been that close to. Did you need new sprockets and chain after all that sand?
    Look forward to your next adventure, cheers.
    Osadabwa likes this.
  10. BoiseBrrrap

BoiseBrrrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Epic for sure. Thanks for posting and keeping us dreamers dreaming.
    Osadabwa likes this.
  11. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Yep, it doesn't get a lot more epic than that! :clap
    Osadabwa likes this.
  12. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't wait either, for the report !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
    Osadabwa likes this.
  13. James59

James59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great trip though that de-hydration would worry me very much. I take those re-hydration salty drinks when I travel. They taste horrible but do great job. Wonderful country, beautiful. Nice to see you are minimalist, very sensible. Been to north Africa, never East Africa. Should go when this calms down...
    Osadabwa likes this.
  14. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    impatiently waiting......for the RR:norton
    Osadabwa likes this.
  15. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another great RR from OSA. Some beautiful country and excellent photos. You 3 ride very well also. Looking forward to the next report in a few days. Take Care Petepilot
    Osadabwa and eaglescan like this.
  16. Osadabwa

Oddometer:
    Hey all, greetings from Lodwar with a beer in hand after a very long 400km day of dirt and river crossings. I am on day 3 of 8. 2 days from dropping back into Suguta to ride those dunes again. Its been interesting already. Yesterday we had to put our man Wry on an emergency helicopter drom a West Pokot primary school football pitch with a 3rd stage collar bone dislocation and send a stranger 150km with his bike in a pickup to leave it with another stranger... Kenya... i swear anything is possible here. Today Panic and I kept at it and I shall not show any ankle till we are all done with the ride in a week. So until then... Cheers
    eaglescan likes this.
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Oy, shit @Osadabwa...say that's a bit more than simply "interesting" :eekers :eekers. 3rd stage collar bone dislocation doesn't sound good; makes me think it came out the skin :becca

Knobby side down man, look forward to hearing and seeing this report when you're done in a week.
  18. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep that gotta be whole lotta pain and 1-2 surgeries. This wandering of the beaten path is nothing like golf, is it not? Serious consequences can be had. Do hope the much needed repair has been completed and Wry is feeling somewhat improved. All the best.