sultan industrial road

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jdiggs, Mar 12, 2010.

1. jdiggs

jdiggs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience around this part of Ontario? I saw a map last night with a dirt road marked "private with public access" which stretches from Webbwood outside of Espanola up to a town called Sultan (I think a former mining town but I really have no info at this point). I also saw a road on google earth which looks like it continues to the town of Foleyet. If so this would be a dirt ride from Lake Huron all the way up to Highway 101, not that far south from Timmins. Has anyone tried this route? IF so any information would be appreciated, mileage, truck traffic, gas stops etc.
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    The Sultan Industrial Road is a logging road that runs east/west between Sultan and Hwy 144.

Looks a lot like this for most of the way:

[​IMG]
  3. jdiggs

jdiggs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ahh... that looks so nice to me... There's another road heading north-south from the Ramsey turn-off all the way down to the Trans-Canada. it might be called the B.C. Eddy logging road, but I haven't found a map that labels it properly.
  4. jdiggs

jdiggs Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. fasteddy

fasteddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Ontario, Canada ( Niagara Peninsula )
    It's the E.B. Eddy logging road, I've been up and down that road quiet a few times over the years, the last being last summer when we rode it North to South on day five of our Abitibi Canyon ride. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479466&highlight=Abitibi)
    A great road, way off the beaten track, just a word of caution if you take the road, watch out Bears crossing your path!! I've never seen so many Bears in one day!!

Ed....
  6. nofate

nofate what blackflies?

Oddometer:
    I drive that road about once a month. Its 80 km between Hwy 101 and the village of Sultan. There is a truck stop at the crossroads where the Sultan Rd. meet Hwy 101. Gas, grub and booze available there. The road is a high speed gravel logging road with public access and is jointly maintained by Domtar and MTO. It has been much improved since Lornce's last trip over it. A Goldwing could ride it easy. There are sections that are straight and smooth and there are some windy sections too. A grader is on the road every day, but there can be some wash boardy stretches depending on the weather. Watch out for logging trucks and moose.

You can divert to Foleyet along that road. I have never driven that section, but I know its not as good as the main road.
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Hey, I rode it on a Burgman scooter.

It's like a dirt superhighway.
  8. jdiggs

jdiggs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    fasteddy: thanks for the link, your rr got me hooked again and i had to read it allover, awesome trip! I plan on hitting this road over a long weekend, so I hope the trucking traffic will be reduced, my biggest concern would be "adventuring off the beaten path" (getting lost), it looks like some bridges were out and you guys needed to divert a ways, was this off the main route?
  9. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    Probably been through a thousand times. The only way to get south IMO. Faster running than the highway. Came through in a jetta tdi yesterday.

As stated you can run from 101 south just north of folyet on the folyet timber rd (eb eddy) this road also continues north of 101 on to timmins.

There is also a route south that connects to roads north of elliot lake. This would be more adveturous though. I may try that one this spring.

You can continue from the east side of the sultan rd across hwy 144 on hwy 560(i think) for about 30 minutes and get on good dirt roads that run north and south to timmins or sudbury.

You can get to almost any town in northern ontario on dirt
  10. nvrlookbak

nvrlookbak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last time I went through there was last summer, and it was all fresh gravel (very loose and dusty) but a great ride. The ride south to Capreol down the Bay Lumber road, after crossing hwy 560, is very good as well, less travelled and better packed. Never been north to Timmins......yet.