Some of you might know that I had to cut short my previous trip though South America when Covid hit. Back in March 2020 I abandoned my old but trusty little Honda Two Fifty at the Chilean Customs and flew back to the Netherlands. Thankfully my parents let me move in with them temporary. After almost a year away, I was left a drained bankaccount and with lots of time on my hands. So after being home for a few days I did the sensible thing and bought another bike! Not just any bike, this must have been one of the cheapest ones online. A 88' Honda CB450N, running but barely ridable. It cost me a whopping €225, or about 250 dollar. Most of the time these kind of bikes are bought up and parted out. But that wasn't my plan, I wanted to give it another chance and get it back on the road. I knew it ran, but it only started with the aid of a batterybooster. So once it was in the shed the first thing was to charge the battery, see if it still lives. Then it was time to assess the bike, see what needs fixing and order some parts. The oil was black, so new oil and filters were a given. As were new fork seals.. the little band-aid around the fork gave that one away. The rev counter cable was little more that a stump, so that needed replacing too. Upon removing the seat, the rear mudguard seemed a bit crusty. Digging through the scrap metal bin I soon found some bits to piece it bag together. Not my finest welding, but hey, that's where the grinder is for. This 450 has an oilcooler from factory. But the factory mounting bracket was gone and it was only held in place by tie-wraps (tieraps, tywraps, tyraps?). So out came the welder again to weld a bit of metal onto the frame. The indicators were missing, so I put some cheap indicators on to make it road legal, those will be changed later. The headlight surround was cracked and held together with duct tape, so that was replaced with one laying around. Plus the lightswitches weren't working so they got fixed too. Still hadn't ridden it at that point, but that would change soon. The mailman dropped off the parts I ordered. The battery was dead so that needed replacing as well. With the battery, oil and filter changed I could finally take it out for a spin! Well.. Made it about 100 meters down the street before the 30+ year old oilcooler lines blew causing a small environmental disaster. I thought about getting new expensive hoses made, or making them myself using fittings and such.. but then went for the cheap option of high pressure rubber hose and a clamp. Tore out the forks to replace the seals, and clean up the brakes as they weren't working that great either. And spend a few hours removing the rusted rounded off bleedvalves, managed to get them out without snapping for once. So it finally ran without losing it's oils. But when warming up the low oilpressure warning light came on. Ah.. great, now what? I found it hard to believe it had low oil pressure since it blew the lines but needed a way to measure it. Since I didn't have the right tools I cobbled something together out of a T-piece, a bit of hose, a tire valve and a pump. A few tries showed it had plenty of pressure, and you should've seen the mess it made when one of the hoses slipped of the T-piece. The only culprit left was the oil pressure sensor, which is of course burried behind the clutch cover. It took me a while to find the issue, and I guess that is why this bike was decommisioned as well.. the oil pressure sensor worked alright when cold, but when heated up it started giving false readings. Giving the exact same symptoms of a failing oil system. The fix was a new sensor (€4). We were getting there now, it ran great but it was a bit too loud. Both exhausts dampers and centre collectorbox weren't far off from a swiss cheese, causing a sporty but mostly just very annoying noise. Like anything else on this bike the exhaust studs were rusted stuck and three of the four snapped off and required drilling and tapping. The downpipes were still good so I got a set of used dampers and welded those on. Covering the weld with the heatshield. The massive and heavy collector went in the bin and was replaced with an H-pipe made up of various bits.. I had replaced the rev counter cable, but the clock made whining noises while running. After some investigating it seemed the inner cable was a bit to long, a bit of filing did the trick. Only a new clutch left to install (and numerous other small things) and the little bugger was done. It ran reliable so I took it out on the dutch TET (trans euro trail) for a day. Turned ou it was in dire need of a new chain and sprockets. For the new set I shelled out more than half then what I paid for the bike It wasn't a grand adventure but it still felt great to be out on a bike, following a line on the gps along the few sandy tracks that you can still find in the East. Back in the shed I made something to put on the wall, to remind me of the days with Little red. But with the 450 fixed it was time for another trip!