Summer/Fall South East beat the heat scooter ride.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jul 17, 2019.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No definite plans at this time but lets start planning this!

I have been tied up helping my folks as the get ready to move and will continue to do that until around mid August. After that I'd like to get out of the heat and into the mountains. At the same time I'd like to get together with as many of the people on this forum as possible.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Ride from around Tellico Plains, TN and head NE using the BRP and other back roads. I'd like to make it up to VA to see @The Virginian and @MYUMPH. I'd like to ride some with @Bueller who will be in Maggie Valley in August. So I'll stop and spend some time in Maggie valley on the way up or back. My plans are flexible so anyone else interested in joining in is welcome. My route is also flexible.

So who is interested and what would work for you?
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One more thing. I'll be tied up the first two weekends in October but I plan on doing a fall colors ride out of Tellico Plains sometime in October. This is in addition to the above ride so keep that in mind if you are interested.
  3. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely interested. Me and Eric could meet up with you somewhere I'm sure.
    klaviator and The Virginian like this.
  4. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have declared myself semi-retired so I will definitely make one of them if not both. Let us know which scoot you are riding so I can keep up!
    Tony in Tn (who thinks he has the fastest GTS250 in Nashville)
    klaviator and The Virginian like this.
  5. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last year (2018), was the first time in over 10 years that I didn't get to go to Galax, Va for my Fall trips where I go every weekend in Oct., and sometimes in Nov. also, to explore SW Va., and surrounding states. Even had the owner of the little hotel out there call me to see what was up, and why I wasn't coming. Hope to get back this year. My work schedule is different than most, but I only work Mon, Tues, and Weds. So I could meet up pretty much anywhere on Thurs, Fri, or Sat. Sundays are tuff for me to be far from home, as I need to get ready for my work week. I'd be open for something in Sept as well, as long as I have a little notice so someone can help out here at home to tend to my dogs and look after my wife(she has MS and can't get around well).
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  6. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Y’all have fun. After Aug 12 I won’t be riding for awhile since the 13th is my knee replacement. I’m hoping for a few rides in October if my knee and the weather cooperates.
    thanosgp, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'd like to take a trip on my Like so that is most likely what I will be riding.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    A meet up in Galax would be a possibility. I'll try to work up a schedule so we're there during those days that work for you.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  9. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate that! Depending on timing I wouldn’t mind riding up the pkwy to VA to meet the others. I mentioned in another thread I have to ride back to Ohio on the 16th to play a show with my band on the 17th, then a day to recuperate, returning to NC on the 19th. We will head back to Ohio on the 31st.

I’m expecting a couple of friends down from the 12th to the 16th. Both will be on Electra Glides but don’t care who/what they ride with.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good fortune with the knee fix! Your about 10 rides ahead of everyone else here anyway?:rofl I get new knee pics in October to "check my joints gaps":lol2 so far I'm on a cortisone fix left side and ready for a 1st shot right side. Nasty old age crap.
    Don't ignore the great routes shown in detail on www.visitvirginamountains.com. They are without doubt some of the best SE mtn riding anywhere! I usually come across near Elkhorn City/Breaks Interstate Park on the KY/VA state line and ride across to I-81 just south of Marion, VA the base (of sorts cause that's where the guy who plotted them lives) for all these rides. BRP is , of course nearby. May not be so much cooler on paved roads in the area in August as that tends to be above 3,500'.
    thanosgp likes this.
  11. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might try to catch up with you at some point. Last September, I really enjoyed the riding in N.Alabama w/you. I was surprised at what a nice area it was. I need to do a return trip to Barber, also. Sorry I couldn't get away while you were in Cleveland.
    klaviator likes this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Well, I just had a monkey wrench thrown in my plans. I thought that being retired I'd be free to ride whenever I wanted. I just noticed I have a family obligation on 23-25 August, right in the middle of when I was thinking of doing this. So, I still want to get out of the heat but I won't be able to do everything I hoped to. Now I'm thinking just a 4-5 day trip to Maggie Valley.

Why Maggie Valley? Take a look at the 10 day forecast for MV anytime during the summer. When the rest of the southeast, and often Northeast, is in the high 80s or 90s, MV is in the 70s or 80s. It's also situated in a great location with great roads in every direction.

So I'm thinking maybe head up around the 18th and leave on the 23rd. The week before or after that would also be possible but I think the 18-23 would work the best for me.

This time frame takes VA out of the picture but maybe if the VA folks could ride south some we could meet them part way?

For those of you not familiar with the Maggie Valley area, here's a taste from my last trip there earlier this year: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-113#post-37719995

Then, in September I'm thinking of a trip out west. If I don't do that then a trip up to VA will take its place.

I do plan on going to the Barber Vintage festival which is 4-6 OCT.

Sometime in mid/late October (I have a wedding to attend the 12th) I'll head to Tellico plains for several days, maybe longer, to ride during the fall leaf season.
  13. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maggie Valley is a great place to hold any kind of motorcycle/scooter get together .
    I belonged to the New Triumph Bonneville forum group , we had a bunch that all stayed in the same motel, got a group rate. We went the same week every year and were welcomed by every place we went to eat.
    There are so many great roads to ride.
    If the weather turns crappy we would got to the" Wheels Through Time " museum or just sit on the porch and tell stories about how fast we used to be .
    The Virginian, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Without all the motorcycle riders who stay there, the local economy would be in real bad shape.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  15. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True dat.
    You might be surprised at how many groups go and stay a long weekend ,bikes,cars ,clog dancers and many more.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm going to tentatively schedule this for the 18th through the 23rd of August. I'll head up to MV on Sunday the 18th. Ride 19-22 and head home on the 23rd. I'll look into motels.

Who would be interested in coming during this time?

Doing a side trip and spending one night elsewhere is a possibility. One place I really liked was the Big Lynn lodge in Little Switzerland. They have a deal. $110 per night for a room and that includes full dinner and breakfast for two.
    tonymarchman likes this.
  17. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wel if you come out west to our area in Sept we’ve got sprite rooms and a place you can leave the truck though I probably won’t be recovered enough from knee replacement to ride with you. As you’ve seen nothing really worth riding around here. Oh, and it was 55 when I took the Vespa to get my morning water aerobics in at the rec center this morning. Temps have since risen to 75 as I’ve been riding around Lake Dillion.
    klaviator likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer! I might just take you up on it.
    cdwise likes this.
  19. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those temps sound really nice. It was 73 when I got up this morning and made it to 96 today before the afternoon severe thunderstorm came through.
  20. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I would enjoy joining you, but am booked solid through September, probably through this year.

I will be riding almost five of the next ten weeks. Two Wisconsin trips followed by almost three weeks riding in Portugal.

On top of that, I still work, having two big houses to complete construction documents, plus several smaller projects.

So I can’t really plan anything new until January.

Bill