sun, rain, snow, dust, night - a SoCal day

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by inte, Jan 25, 2004.

1. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    California ... the final frontier.

In a never ending quest to search out relatively undeveloped land, a small contingent of brave (foolhardy) souls opts to eschew standard modes of travel for more agile brand of transportation...

Today's mission began in Orange County. The weather reports were as accurate as ... well, report said yesterday: rain, today sun: worked out to be yesterday sun, today rain. Not too much though. Left OC and hit the freeways under increasingly foreboding clouds...

By camp Pendleton the light rain started. Called Greg's cell to see if he was still on - no response. Well ... might as well keep going. Light rain turned to hard-to-see-where-I'm-going rain by highway 76. Stayed that way until I got to the designated meeting place at 76 & 15 freeways. No luck on Greg's cell there either ... no worries. grabbed a cup of coffee, answered a few emails, & figured I'd go exploring.

word of warning: the restroom at the meeting place is stocked by "Cruel and Unusual" Paper Products Ltd.

I put on my helmet to take off and realized I forgot my earplugs ... off comes the helmet, & just then the cellphone rings - Greg's ON! He lives 15 minutes from the meeting place, so a short while later he rolls up & we turn the Mobile station into KTM Korner.

[​IMG]

By that time the rain had cleared up - so we took off for what was to be a series of exploratory backtracking punctuated by great vistas, and some fun trails...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Computers are cool ... but not always completely accurate. The correct route led us to a dead end at somebody's ranch home ... twice! The 'drat!' reaction was turned to 'that's kinda cool' by some of the photos ops in this guy's driveway though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back on track ... let's figure this thing out!

Dang.

Another dead end.

All signs, GPSs, ... um, positive vibrations, it was all indicating this was the right way. The debate's still up weather some of these gates were violating public easements...

Any rate, Greg stopped to consult a local navigator for a while. From what I could overhear though my helmet, the conversation had a lot of, "um, maybe ... I'm not sure." in it.

Greg's puzzled reaction to our map-wielding acquaintance ...?

[​IMG]

The bikes were running great though. Amazing what the 950 can do in the tight stuff!

[​IMG]

THIS however got to be a little too tight...

[​IMG]

So instead we took a Scary Road...

[​IMG]

Greg referred to this area as "KTM Kountry".

We were getting hungry by this point, so we stopped at the "KTM Kafe"

[​IMG]

this should look familliar for those of you who saw Greg's last post

[​IMG]

...then we got into the snow ... from yesterday I think.

[​IMG]

first attempt at this was more sideways that straight...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after the snow, came the sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the road led us right into the KTM Korral...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finally the road ended abruptly at the KTM Kiosk that had a map showing some of where we had just been.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this map shows the actual route:

[​IMG]

We split up just east of Hemet, then it was down the 74, through Hemet, Perris, over the 215, through Elsinore, the up & down the 74 to the 5. Was quite dark by the time I hit San Juan Capistrano.

Quick break, then another hour of freeway to end the mission.

[​IMG]

286 miles.

Over and out.
  2. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    KTM Kountry is a great place for adventure rides there are many roads in this area to explore all one needs to do is spend some time with a map and a GPS expect some dissapointments and some treasures the best part about the area( Anza,Garner valley and Idyllwild) is the dirts is great for traction when it has justa little moisture This is a high desert so the soil has a high sand base but with a bit of clay so its not soft except when its been losened up by a lot of traffic here is a picture of anopther one of the roads we did not ride Sunday

Attached Files:

3. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Here is Intes skillfully picking his way down a slippery hill after one of his photo stops

Attached Files:

4. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    KTM Kountry is so full of Kritters some times they catch a live one

Attached Files:

5. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    As we came over the top of the mountain (about 6400 feet) it was snowing not from precipitation but from the snow falling off the trees. They had a light dusting of snow Sat night

Attached Files:

• snow.jpg
      snow.jpg
      File size:
      129.4 KB
      Views: