Sunday ride in South Korea with local enduro rider 07.06.2009

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by longwaybackhome, Aug 29, 2009.

1. longwaybackhome

longwaybackhome --------------

Oddometer:
    Annyeong haseyo,

This ride started on a early June Saturday afternoon when I was exploring the Busan backyards on my own.

On a dirt road I bumped into Mr. Kim on his Yamaha enduro bike (let’s call him Mr. Kim so that police can not trace him so easily, there are some 15 million persons with the family name Kim in South Korea). He showed me a fantastic single track which, judging from how worn it was, he is riding many times a day. Narrow, steep, partly muddy and rocky but I held my breath for some 15 minutes and someway I managed through with my mighty elephant (tipped it once).

[​IMG]

We had the usual problem with communication (his English is as good as my Korean). Anyway I understood he had two motorcycles, a Harley in addition to the Yamaha. He insisted that we ride together on Sunday morning. OK, but which bike since I wanted to make a longer ride with some offroad in between and long transfers on public roads were therefore required. His Yamaha has no registration and I assume no insurance either…. No problem, Mr. Kim rides the Yamaha. Sunday morning off we go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode one of my favourite strips of 10 kms of gravel in the mountains. Mr. Kim did not know the road and was thrilled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the city of Yangsan we met with his “bike family”. 8 pcs ATVs (Polaris), all of them unregistered…. On public roads we continued towards Tongdosa where one of the most famous Korean Buddhist temples is located.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up at an ATV rental company for a looong snack brake (gimbap, rice rolled into dried seaweed). I wanted to ride offroad and the bike family just wanted to have a break. Communication difficult, and one-sided frustration as a result. Some guys playing wargames.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually it was time to explore the hillside ATV tracks. We made it some 200 meters up the hill when Mr. Kim’s clutch wire broke. End of offroad exercise.

[​IMG]

The Amethyst Cave amusement park in the background.

[​IMG]

Very tasty black / raspberries in the hillside.

[​IMG]

I anyway needed to move on since otherwise I would have missed the Sunday lunch with my family in Busan. Had some time for exploration on my way home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding through Cheolma I took one of the roads out in the fields. Back on tarmac when speeding up I noticed an unusal tok-tok-tok from the rear wheel synchronized with the speed. Stopped and checked my rearwheel and found a piece of plywood with a nail. Went to a repair shop and eventually found totally 3 nails and two of the holes needed to be plugged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have now located some very nice offroad strips in the vicinity of Busan. Enough options to explore on a weekend without having to ride the same roads many times. A South Korea ADVride (first?) in Busan is in planning for end of September with possibly faraway participation from Seoul and Kwangju.
  2. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in Korea 30+ years ago. Always wondered what it would be like to return and tour it on a motorcycle.
  3. Indochine

Indochine 'Bikes are OK, but . . .

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report from Korea. Wow, you can actually get away with riding an unregistered bike in South Korea? :eek1 Never would have thought so in such a fairly modern country.

Can you buy a 1200GS there? Is the price inflated with heavy taxes and tariffs? Or did you import it?

Can a foreigner rent a bike there?

Sorry for all the questions. :D

Thanks a lot
  4. Warthog

Warthog TeutonicChronic

Oddometer:
    Plates seem to be optional. My plates keep falling off in the rough stuff. I just lost my replacement plate last weekend, and before that I had been riding for about a year with no plate.

I'll just keep the next license plate in my backpack, or duct-taped under the seat.

LongWay,

I'm planning to come down, bike on the trailer so I can bring the knobbies.
  5. Flying dutch

Flying dutch Adventures

Oddometer:
    Hi, once agan nice RR. Looking forward to meet up with you guys for a ride in Busan.

Flying dutch:wings