Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by WestTXDR, Dec 20, 2019.

1. WestTXDR

WestTXDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this has been done before, but I'm going to put a couple of new parameter on it.

I was diagnosed a while back with age related macular degeneration (AMD dry) and drusen. I've been taking A-Reds and eating fish as much as I can. I don't think it's progressed much. I also had cataracts and had the first surgery a couple of days ago and looking to do the other one in a few weeks. The change on the fixed eye is amazing. I already can see better then I have in years, it may get to the point it's the best I've ever been able to see. UV is the biggest contributor to AMD and makes it worse.

On the sunglasses, I'm going to need a wrap around style to keep as much of the sun knocked down that I can. I wear a Shoei Neotec II with the drop down visor, but it doesn't come down far enough to not need sunglasses. I'd like the straight legs in order to make it easier to put them one after the helmet is on. I'm thinking that even though I'll be seeing better, I don't think I'll be so lucky as to not need cheaters for map reading, etc.

So on whether they are polarized or not, I'm thinking not. I have a very nice set of Maui Jims now that are polarized, and when the polarized shield is down and you have the polarization on the GPS and TFT displays, things get pretty wonky. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge can help with this.

Let the over analyzing games begin. :photog
    Suncoaster likes this.
  2. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Oakley's either new or used. If used, I buy Revant lenses which are on par with original Oakley lenses if you buy the top tier lenses. I have my favorite colors as well and can share info about that. Oakleysi.com is a good site for military or police. Not as many styles, but cheaper than the main site. I also have these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H3YRR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I really like for trail use where I know they'll get scratched with dust, and they also have a bifocal of your choice for looking at maps on your tank bag or your GPS- 1.0 is perfect if you have good distance vision. I also have Revision eyewear that I was issued years ago and use for certain purposes. ESS, but I have no experience with them: https://www.esseyepro.com/Ballistic-Sunglasses_19_category.html
  3. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Here's the bifocal glasses I use:

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf12.html

Adjustable lens angle and temple length. I usually buy 3 pairs of tinted and 3 pair of clear each time. Clear for riding at night so I can read my GPS and gauges. However, those are not straight arms but I like the curved arm over my ear so it's held in place. It takes a little fiddling to get in place but then the glasses are absolutely secure. And they are so cheap that when I scratch/crush/lose a pair, it's not that big a deal.
    Albie likes this.
  4. Forest W

Forest W 2015 BMW R1200GS and 2016 BMW F700GS

Oddometer:
    Mototrek review of the ArclLite Ethos for motorcycles.
  5. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Polycarbonate material naturally blocks over 99% of UV.
    (So, even if the helmet manufacturers don't say anything, they all filter out harmful UVs.)
    SHOEI's face shield claims they block 100% UV A and B.

As far as UV protection is concerned, there's no need to wear sunglasses under the helmet.

I assume you need / want to cut down the brightness while you are out for riding.

I posted about this many times, and I post again, this is most probably the best motorcycle / all around sunglasses.

For something that fits well under the helmet, and protect your eyes from wind blast and flying debris (if you ride with face shield up, those riding glasses are the only thing that protect your eyes), these glasses work.
    (The recommendation coming from my personal experience. Not something I've read on internet.)

Oakley SI M frame 3.0

[​IMG]

I have three lenses set ...

[​IMG]

The ear piece are designed for wearing these glasses under com-gear / ear muff.
    So they are thin, slip into the helmet very easily and they won't cause uncomfortable pressure on the side of your head.

The lenses cover wide area (they are designed to protect military personnel's eye balls, you know),
    I can drive convertible with these glasses no problem.

If you need more "sealing" around your eye sockets, you can get gasket for them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you haven't seen "Sabotage", watch it.
    (Arnie and most of the main crews wearing M Frame 2.0. I do recommend 3.0 over 2.0, though.)

And, of course, they are impact resistant.
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a set of Gargolye Shifter glasses.

[​IMG]

Well priced
    Ballistsic protection
    very comfy under halmet
    super quick lens swap (Clear/Amber)
    ACR likes this.
  7. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These look pretty awesome. Thanks for posting this review.
  8. WestTXDR

WestTXDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses so far. I've learned a couple of things. I didn't realize the polycarbonate shields block 99% of the UV, so then for sure I'll be looking for the brightness reduction and the eye protection. The 3.0 M frames seem to cover a lot of the lists, and with the replaceable lenses, could be used for shooting, etc.
    The Ethos look great as well, tons of riding related features.
    I've got a while until the next surgery on my left eye, so I'll wait until I get the final "settled in" condition of my eyes. I'll keep watching these videos and reviews, so thanks for the help.
  9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I prefer rayban baloramas except for the cooler months, when I use Oakley gas cans, m frames, or half jackets. Safety glasses are too cheap to be pulling lenses out of quality sunglasses just to shoot indoors.
  10. Dave Edwards

Dave Edwards Carminian

Oddometer:
    I wore RayBan Aviators for many years, until I got worried about glass breakage while riding. I switched to Maxx sunglasses, as they were sold by many bike shops I went in. They come in many styles and colors, most are around $ 20.00. I usually have a dozen pair or more, scattered in all vehicles and bikes. Good luck in your search !! :D
  11. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use 3M safety glasses. UV anti-fog in clear for night and tinted for day.

We joke that they're throw-downs. As in they're cheap enough to throw em down at any point and pull out another pair.
  12. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:

I've used those for years
    But in the summer they fog up too easily from sweat

they don't vent well around where they fit on my nose I guess

great glasses for $4-$5 otherwise
  13. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do want non-polarized for riding. Polarized lenses hide the "shine" of wet or oily spots on the road.
  14. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    My eyes are very light sensitive. I wear mountaineering glasses all the time. Julbo makes great stuff and have so for a long time. Mine have been to alot of extreme places and have taken some pretty big hits. You can order them however you want. They customize easily. They are expensive though.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  15. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:
    Let me just explain a little bit about mountaineering glasses.

The proper, high-quality mountaineering glasses are NOT something you want to buy, UNLESS you are planning to climb on Everest or you have REAL light sensitive eyes.
    Just because you squint when you step outside from the garage doesn't mean your eyes are light sensitive. That's normal, everyone experiences that.

The proper, high-quality mountaineering glasses have Category 4 lenses, that have 3 to 8% VLT. That's too dark, WAY TOO DARK to be used for operating motor vehicle on the public road. (And those glasses come with warning that clearly says not to use for driving.)

Besides, some of them come with eye-cup, like these,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

which seriously cut down your peripheral vision.

They are designed for SLOW, WALKING SPEED activity, NOT for HIGH VELOCITY activity such as riding motorcycles.

ALL motocross goggle lenses are either Cat. 1 or 2. In other word, they don't make (motocross) goggle lenses any darker than VLT 18%.
    And there's a good reason.

100%, their "dark smoke" is Cat.2, VLT 25%,
    "gold mirror" is also Cat.2, VLT 30%

[​IMG]

SHOEI's fire iridium shield is also Cat.2 around 24 - 30 % VLT

[​IMG]

The darkness of the tin has nothing to do with UV protection.

VLT around 30% lens / face shield is perfect for high glare, bright sunny conditions, yet they don't make your view too dark, which makes them more versatile than dark smoke lens / shield VLT aroudn 17% or less.
  16. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @WestTXDR try a pair of Kaenon shades that are polarized. I’ve worked on the water all my life and have zero vision issues. Blinding glare off of the water is cut to nil. Top notch quality where it’s needed most. Your eyeballs!!

https://kaenon.com/
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have two pairs of Julbo sunglasses - one’s a photochromatic pair with a light yellow/brown tint that I got for increased contrast while trail running, and also makes for a fantastic motorcycle pair. Straight arms, lots of ventilation channels due to their original purpose for aerobic outdoor activity, large coverage. The tint is very fast to shift, and goes clear enough I can wear them in low light condition without issue. Mine are a bit older, I believe their new photochromatic lens tech shifts tinting in a matter of seconds.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  18. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    The pair on the top with cat 4 lenses are my edc glasses. Use them for everything. Love them. However, they make you look odd around town. So you will get alot of looks.....lol. if that isn't your thing or they are too dark, julbo offers a huge selection of mild to wild. can't recommend them enough. They did start offering cat 4 lenses in a plastic frame now aswell. I also have a pair of those.
    RobertJ likes this.
  19. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:
    Nothing personal, just stating that Cat. 4 lenses for high altitude mountaineering is way too dark for motorcycling / driving automobile.

You can go to your local welding supply store, ask them for DIN 3 shade safety glasses like this

[​IMG]

DIN 3 shade is around 14% VLT.
    Proper mountaineering glasses with Cat.4 lenses are about 2 - 3 times darker than these.

Or, try to put on auto-darkening welding helmet.
    [​IMG]

Most of them has base shade DIN 3 or 4.
    DIN 4 shade is 5% VLT, so it's about the same level of darkness as mountaineering glasses.

With 95% of visible light filtered out, yes, you can walk around in your work shop, picking up stuff.
    But that's pretty much it.
  20. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Lol, I drive all day long in them. To each their own. My eyes ache if I have regular sunglasses on. The only time I have to remove them is in tunnels......for obvious reasons. Beyond that, people just give you a hard time about having bubble eyes....lol.