SunMate and Pudgee Cushions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sstodvictory, Nov 19, 2004.

1. sstodvictory

sstodvictory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here upholstered a motorcycle seat with layered "SunMate" and "Pudgee" cushions from this company? If so I'd like to hear how it turned out, and what thicknesses you used in your layers. I weigh 250 lbs and my project will be a dual sport seat on a stiff custom pan.

http://www.sunmatecushions.com/motorcyc.htm

Thanks

Steve
  2. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. I've often thought of replacing the foam in my bike seat myself. How hard could it be? Not very IMO.
  3. PJveetwin

PJveetwin LD-Ordie

Oddometer:
    I have approximately 50,000 miles on a seat I built using a single layer of 2" medium firm density Sunmate with a layer of ½” Pudgee on top. In my MHO, it’s the best you can buy. I learned it’s the same foam both the Navy and the Air Force uses in their aircraft including the shuttle. The only bad thing I can think of is it takes a while to mold to your butt when it gets cold. I weigh 175 without gear and the firmness was OK

This is not rocket science, but time and patience is required to shape it correctly. I used an electric carving knife to cut the foam and 3-M spray adhesive to glue it all together. I found this cool cutting tool called Dutters Cutters to shape the seat. It has a ¼” shaft that works in a drill motor or air tool. The secret is to spend some time riding it before you cover it so adjustments can be made.

At this point, the average person should take it to a local upholstery shop to have it covered. I happen to have a commercial sewing machine and am an amateur seamster, so I made my own cover. A power staple gun is definitely needed to attach the cover.

I took some pictures of the process but I have no way to load them up here. Guess I need to get off my butt and get a Smug mug account set up!
  4. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:

Cool. :thumb You want a smugmug coupon? :deal
  5. sstodvictory

Oddometer:
    Thanks PJR for the info and the tip about Dutters Cutters. 50,000 miles and satisfied is quite an endorsement. Was it a road or off-road/dualsport seat, and did you use the OEM seat pan?

Steve
  6. PJveetwin

PJveetwin LD-Ordie

Oddometer:

It's the stock solo seat pan. I just cut the original foam out and replaced with the new. I use the bike primarily for LD riding. Lot's of time sitting down.

OK, so what's a Smug Mug coupon :dunno I think I'm ready to take the plundge
  7. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a company out there (can't remember the name) that makes custom seats with a breathable layer that goes on top of the final layer of foam. Does anyone know where something like that may be purchased? It's supposed to make a BIG difference in the summer heat. This do it yourself custom seat idea is sounding interesting especially at the price of the custom seats.
  8. sstodvictory

Oddometer:
    I've read on several different web sites that open cell foam provides some airflow and closed cell does not. On a seat that has a leather or vinyl cover, that couldn't possibly mean that its breezy, but it might provide some heat transferance away from the surface of the seat.

I've decided to go ahead with a DIY seat using the pan from an aftermarket seat I just ordered for $105. The current plan is to fasten a shaped sheet of aluminum to the back part of the seat to provide support for extra width, then shape and fasten some blocks of Sunmate T50E to provide shallow dishing for my butt, then upholster it wtih Sunmate and Pudgee, then have it covered by a local shop.

Oh yeah, I'm also going to have bojangles redo my current seat. I will keep the one that turns out best and sell the other.

Steve