Sunraysia Safari Rally 2018

Discussion in 'Australia' started by searchin oz, Aug 23, 2017.

1. searchin oz

searchin oz Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer:
    Dates have been penciled in for the second running of the Sunraysia Safari Rally. Looks like August 7-11 is the new date, the 7th being documentation and scruntineering, 8 to 11 being competitive days.
    I'm pretty sure a new bivouac will be used next year so its pretty safe to lock in annual leave, dont lock in accommodation just yet :deal

I'll post info and updates as it comes to hand, and also ask for any suggestions for next year to be posted up here!
  2. Sundowner

Sundowner Bort

Oddometer:
    Excellent.
    searchin oz likes this.
  3. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Excellent news I am not missing this one
    KASUYAHO and searchin oz like this.
  4. hoorang

hoorang Rather be riding than working

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to next year's Sunraysia Safari!
    searchin oz likes this.
  5. tprtel

tprtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave (sequent), plan for 2 weeks off, we will be doing yellow mountains 4 and 5, then this then straight to farmers pony express on the Sunday!!!!
  6. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something to work towards
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  7. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I ordered a new ICO this afternoon , I plan on getting the nav gear wired in and operational with plenty of time to tweak the set up before next August :D .
    [​IMG]
    Mouse, Bluetonguejak, Gany and 5 others like this.
  8. searchin oz

Oddometer:
    Bluetonguejak likes this.
  9. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Noely likes this.
  10. searchin oz

Oddometer:
    Hi all.
    Bit of an update.

I had a get together with Troy Bennett today, the Sunraysia Safari Rally is alive and well.
    We are looking for a new rally HQ as it looks like the caravan park will be way too small with the interest in the 2018 rally, its looking really good.

As far as you blokes are concerned, a dedicated Adventure Bike class looks like it will happen. Lots of details to sort but those on twins etc, you will have your own class/classes.

We are looking at throwing an extra half day in, 4.5 days racing instead of 4.

Early August will be the date, we need to stay away from a few major car off road events (Goodiwindi and Classic Outback Trial)

We are looking at more medical crews, additional course cars and the possibility of a second helicopter. All this will mean there will be less waiting and more racing.

A few meetings will take place over the next two days, I’ll feed info as it is made available!

Cheers.
  11. searchin oz

Oddometer:
    Dates are locked in folks. Longer rally too this year :D

Tuesday August 7 till Saturday 11th.

A new principal sponsor has come on board, MotoTech KTM, whos owner navigated for Hedge in the 2017 event.

Now the news that should excite you blokes as you are the ones that wanted it, a dedicated Adventure bike class. Support it or loose it is my recommendation.

Entries will be capped this year and last years entrants will have the ability to enter before the official opening of entries.

Lots of good news to come, I’ll be catching up with Troy again in the coming days to get more stuff on the roll. It is mid 40’s in Mildura at the moment though, best we find a good pub!
  12. searchin oz

Oddometer:
    I should add, Tuesday the 7th is now a documentation AND competition day. A short stage, not far from the HQ (location to be announced soon) will be ran Tuesday arvo. It won’t be a prologue at this stage so it will count as a competitive stage in the overall result. Riders will still be seeded but the short stage will sort the order for the following full day.
  13. Mike The Swede

Mike The Swede Mike, The Swede

Oddometer:
    Im in for 2018! Did the Safari back in 2008. Thought it would be once in a lifetime experience but I got the bug and have been in the rally world ever since. Any advice appreciated about bike rentals or team to join.
    ferals5, searchin oz, GSDane and 2 others like this.
  14. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Any expansion on the adv class? Tech requirements etc?
  15. searchin oz

Oddometer:
    No official details as yet.
    We’ll sit down soon and work it out.
    Pretty much, if the bike was designed as an adventure/tourer, it will qualify. A modded enduro bike wont.

We have open ears and would appreciate any feedback in this new class.
  16. searchin oz

Oddometer:
    No rentals that I know of specifically for Safari Rally but the guys at MotoTech KTM may know an option.

Darren Wilson from Hard Parts could be worth talking too as well.
  17. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I guess to get the numbers I'd consider the following:
    Try adopting a Malle Moto environment in that you keep the guys corralled together and being dependant upon their resources which can be pooled.
    Make it navigable without a full blown ico setup.
    maybe actually run it as a rolling caravan to criss cross the main race at viewing points.
    Rewards - don't make it a race as such but reward participation/attendance at various waypoints. Make participation optional but make it foremost. Make it non-competitive though.
    Grade your paths.
    Maybe tie in with some trackside duties somehow or fuelling points for bonus points.

The idea would be to create a healthy bit of rivalry for the people who want a bit more than just being there. If they can roll in and take part and be part without a major rebuild even better.

But hey, I guess you'd have something rather different in mind!
  18. searchin oz

Oddometer:
    I actually agree with exactly what you say but it will just be bikes in a different class running the same course.
    Logistically, it would be an absolute nightmare to try an adopt different routes etc.
    You are more than welcome to put a plan together though, show us, and if you think it can work taking all the safety parameters we need to consider into account, you can run it!!!
    Gany likes this.
  19. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    If I was local I'd pitch right in.

Secret ingredient would be the non-competitive. Give someone the task of looking at race route and potential spectator points and see what you can dream up.

In other words try to engage the spectators as far as you can. People mostly like a bit of structure to work around but yeah you wouldn't want to hold ther hand all the way or be running multi courses.

Hmmm, racing the adv bikes? Interesting proposition, have you got a real feel for interest or participation numbers? can you peg the course on the fly after the nav boys have run so the adv class can run without creating a major cluster? Could you issue gps routes to adv boys without risking compromising the main field? Maybe to that end use different waypoints or checkpoints far enough off but on the main route and somehow heavily penalise for possible cheating any nav competitor who enters one. Alternately I simply don't know enough about bike gps units to know if you can reveal further waypoints on the fly, guess you could specify a certain unit to be used which might have the capability.

Think a pertinent question is what sort of a competitor would you get in an adv class?

I'm probably no help aside from a decade or so of witnessing what brings this crowd together and what appeals to them.
  20. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Haven’t given this much thought, but maybe 2 ADV classes 600cc - 1000cc and 1000cc+

Don’t need ICO/IMO or electric Roadbook holder - manual/lunchbox type would do along with standard trip to keep set-up costs down.
    Could utilise Rallysafe unit also for trip.

Maybe do first and last stages of each day only, with a longer (more interesting/challenging) transport section to/from lunchtime service (NO splash/dash other service) so 250km+ range required.
    Ok - separate Roadbook for ADV classes. Transport/road sections not too complicated to produce.

Leave first stage after Rally class and leave last stage well before Rally class so any ADV class stragglers aren’t too late getting back in each day.

The course last years was not very ‘technical’ (compared to Enduro) and easily ridden at a decent speed on a Rally/Enduro bike if the rider was comfortable with sand riding - very doable on a big ADV bike, but would be very slow on some sections and potentially take too long to officiate, hence suggesting only doing first/last stages.