Sunrise Downeast ATV Trail in Maine

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by zeeede, Mar 26, 2014.

1. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need a Maine state ATV sticker to ride ATV trails in Maine on your motorcycle.

Speed limit is 25 mph.

80 miles of smooth rail bed. Watch out for animals (saw deer, porcupine, and rabbits)

Were I not dutifully obeying the speed limit :evil I could have easily cruised at 45 to 50 mph on my vstrom 1000. Knobbie tires on big bikes helpful, but a skilled rider probably wouldn't need them if it's dry (I didn't do it in the rain, so I can't speak to wet traction).

Attached Files:

2. HoodooChile

HoodooChile Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi...

I have heard that if your bike is road registered you do not have to also register it as an ATV to ride ATV trails where motos are allowed.

ATV registration was required if you have not registered it for the road like in a dirt bike...

But I have also heard you need both...

Jeezum can anyone clarify?

I plan to ride the Downeast Sunrise as soon as mud season is over...but will ride on roads to Ellsworth so will have bike registered for the road...

Does the state double dip on this?
  3. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    ATV registration is required to ride state rail trails. This includes the Sunrise Trail and is clearly marked at trail entrances, the rail trail from Newport to Dover Foxcroft, the Lagrange Rail Trail and the Houlton Rail Trail. These all have some state money involved. Other ATV trails are maintained by local clubs.

More info here- http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/trail_activities/atv/index.shtml

trails generally open around May 15 depending on local conditions
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Excellent post Dave!

Stunning Maine trail indeed.
    On the "Sunrise Trail"
    That orange decal on my windscreen is the Maine ATV registration
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The way I read the signs, the speed limit for most of the trail is "reasonable speed" and the speed limit within Machias, Cherryfield, and perhaps Franklin is 25mph. But since there are no "resume speed" signs when leaving those towns it may look like the limit is 25 mph.

[​IMG]

I read the signs on other Maine rail-trails the same way -- low speeds in towns and "reasonable speed" between.
  6. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might have a picture of the sign at the northeast end of the trail... I'll look through things when I get home. I seem to recall it saying there that the speed limit, but maybe I just saw a low speed posted somewhere.

I just did a little googling though, and found no mention of it, other than some meeting minutes where they discussed posting speed limits in certain areas to keep dust down.

So I guess just ride respectfully.
  7. BKMLWR

Oddometer:
    yes...there are people on trail committe who were horrified to find out bikes were going to be allowed because they are included in the definition of an ATV....and thought the law should be changed....
  8. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a nice trail! I'm about a 1/3 through after riding the Northern New England Adventure Trail. It's in great condition. Imagine a dirt version of the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to be respectful and keep the speed down, but man its tough! You could easily cruise around 50!

Anyone?

[​IMG]

Watch out for the turtles

[​IMG]
  9. levain

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. levain

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Beginning of the end

[​IMG]

Done!
    [​IMG]

If you don't have a proper bike, don't worry about it

[​IMG]
  11. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Nice !!
    That's what that fee pays for !
    Glad you enjoyed the trip !!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro
  12. levain

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Thanks a lot. I wouldnt have known about this without your posts. It was really great. Check your pms !
  13. levain

Oddometer:
    Oh, that last picture didn't Come out very good. That guy was on one of those kids scooters, only he rigged a little 2stroke motor to it. It was HILARIOUS!
  14. Tidman

Tidman n00b

Oddometer:
    Where would a forner from NB get a trail pass? I'm looking for a gravel route from Houlton to Lubec, this would fit the bill. I'll be on a Tiger 800.
  15. SDIZZY

SDIZZY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is there any legal camping along the trail?
  16. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    You should be able to register your bike in Maine as an ATV, I don't know what the international rate is.
  17. BKMLWR

Oddometer:

most of the trail is never very far from Rt1 and so look for campgrounds in downeast Maine which would be near Rt1
  18. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh wow, glad a caught this.
    Planning a trip to Nova Scotia from NYC in a few weeks, and this looks like it should fit the bill nicely. Thanks!

Edit: Would also like to point out that THIS GPS DATA is available online as well.
  19. Inniswhe

Inniswhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is an old thread but wondering if anyone knows the process for getting a trail pass for maine. Heading down next weekend from Canada on my Africa Twin and would like to do this trail . Would really appreciate any insight
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll start with our local terminology. You want to register your vehicle as an ATV in Maine.

That's $54 for a non-resident 7-day sticker or $69 for a season sticker (Now to 2018 June 30).

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/atv_snowmobile_watercraft/registration.htm

The actual registration starts with this page:

https://www10.informe.org/ifw/atv-snow/

They say expect 30 days for delivery. The closest regional office to you (and the Downeast Trail) is the Region C office in Jonesport. Contact info on this page:
    http://www.maine.gov/ifw/aboutus/contactus.htm

I get my stickers by dropping in at the town office when they're open. They know me and have my motor vehicle registrations on their computer. I don't know if that would work for you.