Sunshine Kitty does the east coast

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sunshine Kitty, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Sunshine Kitty

Sunshine Kitty n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello- I'm sunshinekitty and this is my first ride report.

This is me-

IMG_0320.JPG

And this is my bike, a 2014 Versys that I just bought this summer.

IMG_0324.JPG

I'm a college student at the University of South Florida (GO Bulls) on a Marine Corps ROTC Scholarship

GYEC8969.JPEG

I've done rides with my dad @engineman but this is my first solo trip. My college visit for USF was done as part of a motorcycle tour of Florida

https://advrider.com/f/threads/adv-lite-father-daughter-lap-of-florida.1374926/

I used an old set of Ortlieb saddlebags I got from my dad and riding gear from ebay. I installed a power outlet and soft bag racks on the Versys. Other than that I got prepared by planning my trip using a website called scenic routes. I kinda just randomly googled cool things to see on the east coast.

Free Road Trip Planner with Unlimited Stops | myscenicdrives.com

From there I did what any college student would do and procrastinated till the day before I was about to leave. The day before I packed my saddle bags one side with all the camping and living essentials and the other fully stuffed with cute outfits for my trip. I strapped my tent, sleeping mat, and camera stand on the passenger seat and I was ready to go.
  2. Sunshine Kitty

Sunshine Kitty n00b

Oddometer:
    Day 1

I was all packed up and ready to leave from my friends house in Zephyrhills. My first stop was a state park in northern Florida. I was planning on using the route I had planned with the website my scenic drives but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to transfer the route to my phone in a way I would be able to hear the directions since I didn't have a phone holder that I could see. So I ended up just using google maps and choosing the option that would keep me off interstates and most highways. This worked out in the end because I got to see pretty farm land and lots of cows that reminded me of home.
    IMG_0278.JPG

A very pretty and calm ride for the first day. I did enjoy when a cop waved me past him when I was trying to follow him and resisting the urges to speed and pass him. I got to the camp ground early in the afternoon so I set up my tent and started to read my book at the picnic table. After a while i got up to walk around and my neighbor, an older lady yelled at me to come over there. I admittedly thought that I was in trouble for something and begrudgingly went over to her camper. But to my surprise she was just offering a fan for me to use in my tent which I graciously accepted since it was 90+ degrees and very humid. After I set up the fan I got on my bike and went to explore the camp ground and the area around it. I rode to the river and walked around for a little bit, took a couple pictures and selfies. Then in the distance I saw a cool old bridge and I set off to go find it. I rode towards the direction i saw it and eventually found it, It was very old and had concert blocks in front of it. which probably meant i shouldn't have taken my bike on it but if that was true then they wouldn't have put such big gaps in between the blocks.
    IMG_0315.JPG
    After taking more photos I returned to my campsite and used my jet boil to make chili mac and continued to read my book. After awhile a guy came up to my campsite to strike up a conversation with me about my bike and what I was doing. We talked for a little bit and he invited me over to his groups campsite to drink and play games. I said I'd think about it but I can be pretty shy and decided I wanted to keep reading. Around the time it started getting dark the same guy came back over and offered for me to come over and eat the steak that his group cooked. I of course said yes because who turns down free steak. So i sat with the group and ate with them they were all around 24 years old and were very nice. We stayed up talking and listening to music and eventually I had to retire so I could get up and on the road early the next morning. the guy who came over ask for my instagram then i returned to my tent and passed out. The next morning I quickly packed up my site, returned the fan, and got on the road.
    River Rat, Dirt2007, BigStu and 26 others like this.
  3. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I predict that you're going to be a huge breath of fresh air around this stale old place! :thumb :lol3

Welcome Sunshine Kitty and THANK YOU for taking the time to post about your adventure.
    Respectfully, RD
    BigStu, dano619, MrBob and 6 others like this.
  4. navjetmech

navjetmech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey I hope you’re safe. Haven’t seen a post for a few days.
  5. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What Road Damage said!
  6. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    oo rah
    following
  7. Bryan R1100S

Bryan R1100S n00b

Oddometer:
    And how did the rest if the trip go, Kitt? Or are you just gonna leave us hanging?
    oldskool63 likes this.
  8. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    like your style.
    am i allowed to say that? :dunno
  9. Sunshine Kitty

Sunshine Kitty n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone I'm back! School has just started for me down here and let's just say I'm already swamped:cob. I'm very happy to be back in Tampa and I'm already starting to think about my next trip but I realized I need to finish my first ride report before I can so that. So without further ado

Day 2
    Even though I stayed up late the night before talking to my friendly neighbors I got up early and packed up my campsite. I was rather surprised how quickly I got everything packed and ready to go. I dropped off the borrowed fan hit the bathroom to make sure I was cute and collected and hit the road.
    IMG_0337[1].JPG
    IMG_0336[1].JPG I had a long day ahead of me my next stop was Pigeon Forge Tennessee. After I set off I soon had to stop to grab gas and fill up my water bottle. I pulled into the closet (and only) gas station and walked in looking for a water fountain but they didn't have one and I didn't want to pay for bottled water (broke college student) as I was leaving a very nice older man stopped me and gave me three water bottle from a cooler in the back of his truck. He was very nice and we talked for a while before I hit the road again. Soon I had crossed the state line and was in the state of Georgia. While on the highway I was trying to adjust my phone on the holder and managed to loosen it enough to have my phone drop and bounce once twice and then into the tall grass bordering the road. I had to use my Bluetooth headphones to locate it by walking around the highway until they reconnected. Which in retrospect was wasted effort since my phone was ruined. I did bring a back up old family phone thankfully but it couldn't receive any data. So I drove to the closest gas station and downloaded a map with my route and continued along navigating by map. Suck that land nav!!!
    IMG_0344[1].JPG
    I hate to say it but Georgia was my least favorite state to drive through part of that may be because of my phone but the route that I went along just didn't have much to look at. It was nice to drive through Georgia's college campus I was jealous for a second as I imagined going to a school that's good at sports. After that two baby deer decided to play chicken with me in the middle of the road but I couldn't bring myself to be mad at them since they were so cute. Soon enough and a couple of gas stops later I crossed into North Carolina and the ride got 100xs better. It was so pretty that I almost didn't care that I was getting rained on. Though it did get very cold once I stated getting up in the smoky mountains.

Attached Files:

Aikenrunner, Hannda, TownPump and 8 others like this.
  10. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just for future reference: There are some nice roads from Tallahassee north to Thomasville, GA.
  11. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "....and a couple of gas stops later I crossed into North Carolina and the ride got 100xs better. It was so pretty that I almost didn't care that I was getting rained on."

Now to be honest there are some lovely rides in GA, and even parts of the SC upstate, but NC rocks. VA, Maryland, West by God Virginia, and further "norf" too. Enjoy!
  12. Bryan R1100S

Bryan R1100S n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for continuing the saga Kitt. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we're looking forward to more.
    In her defense, Georgia is also my least favorite state, and I live here!
    I do agree with MrBob and modiorne in that there are some nice rides all over Georgia. I especially like (I think it is Meridian Drive ) from Tallahassee into Georgia that I think MrBob might be is referring to. It's beautiful; lined with oak trees, through horse country and a bird sanctuary. Although Thomasville Highway (US 319) is nice for a four-lane. You just have to get off the beaten path to really enjoy the Georgia roads. Or get well north of Atlanta.
  13. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    most stores with a soda fountain will let you fill your water bottle/bladder from the dispenser, it's a small lever on one of the taps... seen here just to the right of the ice dispenser:

[​IMG]
  14. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Meridian is nice, but taking Miccosukee Rd from Tallahassee is awesome. From Miccosukee Rd. take #59 through the village of Miccosukee (1833) and through the tiny village of Metcalf to come into Thomasville from the south. Alternatively, take Mahan Dr. to Monticello, FL ( stop for coffee and bakery at Tupelos Bakery) and then head north on #19 to enter Thomasville from the south.
    Miccosukee Rd. is one of Florida's "canopy roads", that is, very old roads where branches of live oak trees interlace above the road - very beautiful.
    Hannda, bajaburro, TownPump and 2 others like this.
  15. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    RR ended after the first night of camping? Must be a LOT of homework, studying, Marine-ing and cute boys at USF. Or, maybe, if the phone died it's simply that there are no more pics to post. Oh, well. Fun while it lasted.
    Gedrog likes this.