Super Cub 125 - what will you do to yours?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerseyBiker, Jun 27, 2018.

1. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those who think the Super Cub will be too expensive, underpowered or whatever, please play nice and stay out of this thread.

This Thread is for those who are intending to buy a Super Cub and are already thinking about what they may do to make it personal to them.

I'm talking windscreens, top cases, saddlebags and various other farkles. If you have pictures, please post them. If you have links to websites selling accessories, post them too.
    TisButAScratch and LE Trainer like this.
  2. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    I know I'm going to want to add a windscreen and top case. I'm in the process of searching the net to find photos of what I might want and websites that might sell them.

I'm also thinking I'm going to want some way to carry extra gas. I don't know what is available in that regard but will be looking.

I'd also like to get a front basket but have to admit that would look pretty nerdy. Not sure if I will do that or not.
    TisButAScratch likes this.
  3. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Here is a 2018 close to what I'm thinking

3daff9ebdbcb24883b94dfe478039b96.jpg
  4. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rack (it may come with one) front basket, easily removable top box, center stand (not sure if it has one standard).

The bike is too slow to necessitate having a windscreen.

If, after awhile, touring is feasible I'd consider a custom aluminum rack & top box which has a 1 gallon fuel tank as a floor of the box that would gravity feed into the main under seat tank. The lid of the box would have brackets to lash a tent, sleeping bag, etc., on it. Not sure how the fuel venting would work, and the welding is beyond me but I know someone who could do this.

The top box, basket, along with Ortleib dry bag panniers, and a shoulder bag should suffice for solo touring.
  5. scootermann

scootermann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will not be getting one but it is not because I don't want to... just a little fiscally challenged right now... I did think that the '18s were going to be red and blue and I sure wish the Cross Cub was coming our way. However, my son plans on getting one and will probably pimp it out with more adventure style racks (as opposed to the basket). I think a slip on pea-shooter type muffler would look good and possibly some auxiliary amber driving lights. Looking forward to seeing how they do here in NA. Assuming you (Jersey) are getting one. Would be a perfect BRP machine...

Check this out...
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  6. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not planning on doing much with mine. Will keep it stock as I have learned over the years that modifying a bike often makes them less reliable and usually something I have added causes an issue. Honestly typically from my own incompetence but its a headache I know longer want. I may in time make the cub more functional by installing a top case for storage.

The only exception to modifying is if I have to do something. Occasionally I will buy a bike and the tires might be so bad I will have new tires put on. On a few bikes over the years the stock fueling was so bad I installed Power Commanders to smooth them out. Other then those types of things I pass on the louder exhaust and engine mods!
  7. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    The bike may be too slow for a shield but I often ride without a face shield and don't like rocks and bugs smacking me in the face!

Chazbird, I like your idea on the top case with built in fuel tank! The brackets on top too! Is there such a thing made now? If it could have Givi mounts so I could move it from scoot to scoot, that would be awesome!

I agree on not modifying the engine or drive train. I like Honda reliability too much to mess with that.

I think this will be a great BRP machine once I get some additional gas on board. Sometimes gas can be hard to come by along the parkway.
    Mr. Ray likes this.
  8. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Well I have a set of Dirt Bagz and brackets left over from a KLR. I would modify the brackets to fit the sides of the rear rack.

And just to prove my KLR bonafides I would bolt a milk crate to the rack. Then with two strips of carpet, line the crate crossing the carpet so there is two layers on the bottom and a single layer on each side.

I could then explore the Virginia horse and wine country with a happy and protected pooch.
    MYUMPH and chazbird like this.
  9. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To me the best way to make it personal would be to pile some miles on that "bad boy"! :clap
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  10. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    As noted by @BUZZARD II a Super Cub 125 could make a great small dog moto. Not too fast, and maybe the rider's torso would block much of the wind which might negate doggles. Again, not so fast that a get off might not be too injurious to canines.

@JerseyBiker : I haven't drawn up anything for a combo box aux fuel tank. That will have to wait until delivery to measure it all. But adding a Givi plate to the rack and the bottom of the fuel portion of the box is a plan (just for portability, not to use on something else) along with a quick release on the tank outlet line.

Unfortunately my experience with gravity feed aux tanks has been they don't work very well in varying altitudes and pressures. Generally you have to burn as much or generally more than the aux tank holds from the main to get it to flow, unless you go to some sort of constant pressure pump. (I.e. Electric). I am definitely not going to go with that so I suppose there may have to be a petcock on the aux tank in addition to a quick release.

I figure with a properly functioning aux tank of 1 gallon there would be an easy 200 mile range with maybe 25-35 miles reserve.

Also, It might be a better idea to have strap brackets on the side so the (lockable) top is accessible, but that is dependent on what's to be carried. Whatever Honda rack that may come with the bike may not be structurally or dimensionally appropriate. Maybe a custom fabbed rack, too? Hope to flat black sinter finish one or both. Something tells me doing it sanitary like is going to be expensive.

Like others I have zero desire to mod the engine or exhaust.
  11. pudNrider

pudNrider n00b

Oddometer:
    New here, thanks to reading Queezies blog on modernvespa and the super cub. I got on the list (heck, I am the list!) for a new super cub at a local dealer and will be leaving the vespa fold when it arrives. Very excited about it! My plans for “Wrigley” (tentative name) include a few fun stickers (as yet to be detrmined, but the white areas call out to me for this), possibly a front basket (worried about load and handling) and either a Honda top case or woven wood/wicker basket. Going to try it without a windscreen and see how I like the feel. A lot will depend on what accessories Honda sells, as I want it to be at least as functional as Puddin (my LXV).
  12. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    ^^
    Welcome! I'm guessing Honda will sell a few accessories but more will be offerec through the after market. Since the model is sold all over the world, I'm hoping there will be lots of accessories offered.

@chazbird, yup, we will have to wait till we get our hands on a model to see how things will be mountable. I'm also thinking low tech might be a way to go, just strapping a gas can to the bike. I'll also have to see how far I'm actually riding and if extra gas is needed.

Overall, I think the bike is going to be a blank canvas for many and the modifications folks make to it will be quite varied.
    pudNrider likes this.
  13. pudNrider

pudNrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm sure you're right about accessories, although I do like the "idea" of having the HONDA logo on some of them. I've already been looking online at the Japanese etc stores, and there don't seem to be tons of options, so we'll see. Can't wait to see the thread with photos of all the different looks on the same bike. :brow
  14. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in the west where there are still areas with 100-150 miles between reliable fuel availability. However, I must admit my hybrid box-tank is probably a complex solution to a simple problem. Maybe the complexity, fail points, and of course, cost will defeat me to your sensible idea of a little square plastic fuel tank that can be unobtrusively attached to the rack or to whatever detachable box I use.
  15. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ima just gonna put my Givi plate on the rack snap on my Givi 40 liter top case and ride the heck out of this lil Honda
    JerseyBiker likes this.
  16. LE Trainer

LE Trainer Bad Buddhist

Oddometer:
    Travel related mods. Whatever fixtures I need to fabricate to make my Enduristan Monsoon 3 bags play well with the rear rack. I'll top that with my old Ortleib dry bag. Small front rack for a 1.25 or 2 gallon fuel can. Low draw aux lighting. Dead sheep for the seat. A 12v outlet of some kind. Long term, maybe a charging upgrade (Ricky Stator) so I can run an electric vest.
    JerseyBiker likes this.
  17. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    First about extra gas. On my old Vespa I mounted two MSR gas bottles under the rack with large hose clamps when I was on a tour. I think that would work on the side of the rear rack on the Cub. A Roto pack on top if really needed.

I'm also torn on how to treat this bike. A few posts up I mentioned Dirt Bagz and a milk crate. This is a throw back to when I was a kid. My '62 Cub was beat worse than some Viet Cong running rockets down the Ho Chi Minh Trail. For that I'm sorry. I abused that bike and it kept on running. Which is why I want another. But not to abuse. Maybe it should be pimped out in high end Honda gear. I could afford it this time.

But still the pull of a third world rat bike is there, waiting to be formed. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the new Cub's. I see a Cub only forum populated by geezer's. It will become the new rocking chair of retirement community's all across this great land.

In Florida the next big thing will be Cub's replacing golf carts in The Villages. You wait and see. There are a mess of geezers with disposable income that are fed up with their greedy kids. If you can't take it with you, then pimp your ride.
    MiniBike, Bar None and JerseyBiker like this.
  18. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    A milk crate on the back is about the only thing I'd add. If there is a longer seat option like the Passport I'd get it.
  19. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    What is Honda listing as the estimated MPG?
  20. LE Trainer

LE Trainer Bad Buddhist

Oddometer:
    They are not at this time. I think you can assume it will be similar to the Grom as it is the same motor.