Super Cub 125 - what will you do to yours?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerseyBiker, Jun 27, 2018.

1. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life! Supporter

Oddometer:

Some very cool versions in that video!
    kpinvt and CardinalDirection like this.
  2. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    On the Harley the fob can be clipped to your belt and never touched again. I like that.
    On the cub, at least in the videos I've seen, you need to push something on the fob to start the bike. Seems clunky and more prone to issues.
    CardinalDirection likes this.
  3. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many electric key fobs have a purpose designed Ft. Knox mentality regarding battery access. Some persistent cleverness will usually yield positive results so the battery can replaced yourself for a few dollars. But many people are helpless and head off to the dealer are reamed for $50 or more. I have heard $150 one time. That's brilliant "engineering", no?

Maybe Honda will have a Ft. Knox design, maybe not. If they do maybe there will be an option of buying a non-Ft. Knox one, for $200.
  4. LiquorCycle

LiquorCycle n00b

Oddometer:
    Regarding extra storage, I would think it should be possible for some clever folks to design a pannier that would attach to the side loops of the rear rack. I’m thinking of something with a rounded rectangle that would fit in the loop, with nylon/leather straps/buckles to tie it down. You could likely have a panel or arm extending from that to hold two half width Jerry cans of fuel, one on each side.
  5. Roadcase2

Roadcase2 n00b

Oddometer:
    The key fob seems needless, (does it come with espresso machine too?) and I didn't realize until just now that there's no kickstarter. Bummer.
    That's almost a dealbreaker. But that's all well and good. I'm just old-school, less is more type ...particularly on a bike like this. Utility trumps trendiness.

Here's what actually has me a bit concerned: I'm noticing some differences in the 2019 US version to most other countries. And this is sorta huge.

From what I've been able to tell, the US models will have: No rear footpegs.

1.) No rear footpegs...are the holes be tapped, or have they been filled by welds? (**Correction: Some models appear capped, some are not. The Super Cub pictured on top of the US Honda page comes with them, and a rear rack. (But the fine print plainly says: "Non US model shown")
    https://powersports.honda.com/2019/super-cub-c125-abs.aspx

As you may know, there are seats that fit right on top of the rear-rack and that's why they have rear-footpegs but no rear seat in the above pic.

However the one in this video, (which purports to be a US model).... does not have a rear rack OR rear footpegs.

2.) Another biggie is NO front reinforced basket mounting holes on fork plastics. Can it be modified? This is a huge setback unless somebody comes up with a work around.

3.) Can a windshield be mounted on the new bar setup?

Thoughts?
  6. Hedge

Hedge n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna put a basket on the front and a milk crate on the back to start and see how it goes. This buy is actually for the wife to go to work and back via back roads and around town should she want to . . . but who we kidding here, I'm probably gonna spend more time on this than my CB1100 :lol3
    Tromper and JerseyBiker like this.
  7. HelloPitty

HelloPitty Motorbike Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    At first I'm going to keep it 100% stock. Then see which accessories Honda offers for them. Can't wait!

Wish my local dealer would take a deposit on one, they only put my name on a list, I think I'm second or third.
  8. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shocking!

$3,599*

Target MSRP

+ $150 destination charge
  9. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll take a Cross Cub 125 without the Fob and with a kickstarter. For $1000 less. Don't even need the electric starter. With a milk crate off course.
  10. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    100% agree but those 2 items aren't adding $1000 to the retail price. But, even if it was only $200 less I would prefer no electric start and no fob. Especially no fob.
    BigIron and Bar None like this.
  11. coolpixer

coolpixer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all
    Latest ride review of the 2019
  12. Dixon

Dixon wannabe mechanic, mad scientist

Oddometer:
    While the new Super Cub is a true beauty, its a bit too "city" for me. The Cross Cub on the other hand, seems just about perfect for me. I agree with ya'll, no key fob ignition needed, no electric start even wanted. Give me a good sized and sturdy luggage rack, add a usb charging port and a gps mount, id be one happy man.
    Shin1ichi2002, Oilhed and wee-twin like this.
  13. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, the cross cub is what I'm interested in.
    Shin1ichi2002, Oilhed and Dixon like this.
  14. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd probably prefer the Cross Cub for utility. But judging how intentionally rare and difficult to obtain the Super Cub 125 is there's probably less than a snow-flakes chance in hell of the Cross Cub coming to the USA.
  15. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    At a glance they appear to share a chassis.
    If you have the coin you could probably go that direction with the 125 and still have the stronger motor.
    Sadly for me the limiting factor is that even with the 125 motor they're still a bit slow for my area.
    Tempting still but so far likely a no due to it's limitations and the limited nature of my garage space.

[​IMG]
  16. hondacubber

hondacubber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have purchased from Japan a side stand and step bar with the ear to mount it since the US bike does not come with one.
    IMG_0534.JPG
    siyeh likes this.
  17. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where did you get it from? I want to find the euro/jdm taillight, but I can't seem to find oem parts for different markets.
  18. shiz

shiz n00b

Oddometer:
    hi there!
    I might be doing it wrong, but I'll leave it here )
    Does anybody know where to buy used japanese post crate (or similar one) for insalling on my Super Cub 2012. I plan to transport my bread (long 60 sm. baguets should feet in) in it.
    and does it fit all long back rack or are there any restrictions/
    Thanx in advance

Attached Files:

TisButAScratch likes this.
  19. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that a OEM honda part? part number? where'd you get it?
  20. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Search in the main super Cub thread, all the info is there.