1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Cubbing Southbound

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Wiener Patrol, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Wiener Patrol

Wiener Patrol Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Final thoughts

1. The route plan. I was pleased with the route that I chose. I didn’t rely on just one source, but used a variety including satellite photos, a Butler map, state DOT websites, Furkot recommendations and other map apps. I made modifications up to the last week prior to leaving. I never intended to follow it exactly, and I did leave out some details where I knew what to do, but it was simpler to leave the route as it was. The biggest open question and the one which would have required significant changes on the fly was whether I would be able to cross the Mississippi on the ferry. I followed them on their Facebook page the month before leaving, and it was clear that service was interrupted by a wide variety of mechanical and natural issues. In fact, the week after I crossed, they were shut down several days due to low water.

Only one of my planned gas stops was out of business, and I found an unplanned alternative when the backup was closed too.

I dodged two significant detours by scooting around the barriers, but finding road work online is a bit of a pain.

2. Covid-19. I was concerned about lodging, but it became clear that they had plans in place to keep the rooms clean. Some better than others. The Fairfields used so much disinfectant that it made me sneeze. Restaurant practices was more spotty and varied greatly by state. Obviously I enjoy food, and I felt like I missed some opportunities.

3. Gear.
    Luggage- Good. Adequate size for the Cub. Not tested by rain.
    iPhone 6 as navigator. Very good. I bought 4 $6 rechargeable battery packs from Walmart to keep the phone powered. I could have made due with one, two were nice, 4 were unnecessary.
    RAM mount. I suck at attaching these. On big bumps the mount would bounce and turn on my brights.
    Helmet. A great purchase for being on the fly with no research. Very comfortable, but you need a liner when it’s cold.
    All other gear. My only complaint is about my revit over pants that have been long discontinued. The closures on on the side and it’s a major pain when you have to pee. Old guys, you know what I mean. Young guys, one day soon.
    Spare fuel bottle. Never used it, but loved it as an insurance policy.

The rest of this is pretty much a stream of consciousness. One way to think about a trip with a smaller, slower bike is to look at the recommended mileage you should expect to cover on the TAT. Up to 150 is comfortable. Up to 250 is doable. Over 250 is painful and my 330 day was insane. I swore I would stop at the sites even if it made my days longer and distances shorter. I’d give myself a B+.

I was extremely fortunate with the weather, but it wasn’t all luck. As a boater and former sailor, I watch the weather carefully, and it made it easier to plan a weather window. Luck came into play when I missed any of the impacts from Hurricane Delta.

I’m a mediocre photographer, but I wish welcome signs were placed better. I can’t be the only one who likes a shot of their bike by the signs.

Fuel data

1. 29 stops
    2. 16.734 gallons used
    3. Ave fill 0.577
    4. Max fill 0.756
    5. Min fill 0.216
    6. Total cost $44.17
    7. Ave fill cost $1.52
    8. Max fill cost $2.08
    9. Min fill cost $0.57
    I went about 15 miles on my last fill, so this number isn’t exact, but I got around 105 mpg.

Finally, my biggest surprise was the reaction of people when I pulled up somewhere. I’m used to motorcycle riders asking about a bike, but this was the first time where I got more questions from non-riders. Maybe Honda got this wrong. It isn’t just about the riders.

DC95D5EF-14CB-40D2-B7D0-3A40F18F6236.jpeg

It wasn’t much of a Viking trip, but it was surely one hell of a good time.

See you next time.
  2. JLA49

JLA49 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR, thanks for sharing.
    dp064 and Wiener Patrol like this.
  3. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.
  4. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    well done!
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report WP.

There's nothing like a little bike adventure to slow down the pace and putt along at 45 to 50 mph allowing the rider to gain more terrain appreciation and smell the rose along the way.
    klaviator, dp064 and Wiener Patrol like this.
  6. Wiener Patrol

Oddometer:

After a summer where I regularly passed dairy farms, I learned that cows smell different than pigs, and both smell different from chickens. :lol3

You’re absolutely right though, I found myself looking at specific trees and rocks especially uphill.
    dp064, Ginger Beard and black 8 like this.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Amazing! I love the total fuel cost - $44.17. I haven’t spent that bombing around the city all summer. Small bikes rule.
  8. TownPump

TownPump Long timer

Oddometer:
    An epic adventure if there ever was one! Thank you for creating this, truly enjoyable read.
  9. Wiener Patrol

Oddometer:
    To be totally honest though, the places I chose to stay ate up the fuel cost savings by a large margin. That being said, someone willing and able to camp and couch surf could have had a much more frugal trip than I had. Don’t get me wrong, the fuel efficiency is almost unbelievable, but to me, my biggest takeaway was how capable and fun the bike was over an 1700 mile journey. I never once thought along the way, wtf am I doing on this bike.
    bluestuff68, dp064, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I’ve thought that all summer on the Grom. As I ponder another HD Roadster for 2021, the Grom will have to stay.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great trip and report. I really enjoyed reading it. Good luck with your future rides on the Super Cub.
  12. Gundecker

Gundecker aka fng

Oddometer:
    A step through cub was the first motorized two wheeler I ever rode.... straight into some metal garbage cans. A gateway drug if you will. Thanks for the ride report !
    bluestuff68, dp064 and Wiener Patrol like this.