Super e-Bikes (Trifecta vs. Stealth) - Experiences?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by LifeScribe, Jan 2, 2019.

1. LifeScribe

LifeScribe I do my own stunts

Oddometer:
    Interested in picking up a Trifecta or Stealth e-bike and would love to hear from current/ past owners about their experiences with them.

Specifically, looking to understand how you learned about them, what wow'd you/ caused you to buy one, and what you wished you'd have known before you did. What's the reliability/ maintenance like (can I beat it to hell and know it'll still function w/out pricey repairs).

Conceptually, they make a ton of sense. Understanding is that they can go anywhere a bike can go (on-road/ off-road trails, bike lanes, sidewalks, parks, trains/ planes, etc) and they've got the power of a motorcycle (50 mph top end, 100 mi range). Have seen some folks commuting on them, but they don't seem to have much of a dealer network or presence here in the US.

They also cost about as much as an Africa Twin ($10-12k from what I understand).

Can anyone share some experience here? I'll probably ride one later this month (but would like to be fully informed before I do).

Thanks!
  2. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's your first mistake.

Putting pedals on a vehicle does not make it a bicycle. The federal definition is that any bicycle with electric power equal to or less than 750 W (1hp) and that is limited to 20 mph maximum speed without rider assist qualifies as a bicycle. Local laws can put more restrictions on what constitutes a bicycle. You may get away with riding conservatively in places you shouldn't, but you could also get snagged. If you whip past people at 30+mph on a multi-use path, not only will you get hunted down, but you're also an asshat. Take one on the road and use any performance beyond that definition above, and you should expect to have a lengthy discussion with your local LEO. Possibly even if you try to ride slowly on-road - those things don't really look like your standard bicycle.
  3. LifeScribe

LifeScribe I do my own stunts

Oddometer:
    Fair point. Not trying to become the Ghost Rider of e-bikes...though it's tempting.