Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What da heck people race those little Grom things, why not a sherpa. Is it a competitive chassis or engine, No, but can you have fun ,Sure.
  2. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold my Sherpa and my KTM 200 to purchase my Street Plated GasGas EC300R. I miss the damn Sherpa. Seriously. I’m not competitive when it comes to racing - the only guy I’m competing with is me. The Sherpa had lots of low end grunt - some suspension tuning made a bit of difference and the DR fuel tank would allow me to ride for hours and not run out of fuel.

The Gasser? She’s a hot little pistol and I put 60 miles on her today on Intermediate single track. I’m beat and sore and wish I had discovered this shit when I was 20.
    OU812, pmillar and Cal like this.
  3. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I upped my low end grunt, threw on a 12 tooth up front, made a huge difference ,also good for new riders,you dont have to use any throttle to get moving just teach em to let off the clutch smoothly and their on their way,
  4. shtonkalot

shtonkalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So a small update on my Super Sherpa, not a good one.

IMG_20190930_031445.jpg
    Fires went through the property I lived on and took everything, including the SS which had been tucked in the bush locked to a tree

IMG_20190930_031525.jpg
    She's a bit runny.

Thanks for the info and comradery. Let the good times roll.
    oakcutter and OU812 like this.
  5. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a soft like on ur burnt SS. :(
    tlrmark likes this.
  6. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone might wanna buy that motor.
  7. oakcutter

oakcutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy Trails KLR bash plate adapted. Works well and protects. I have tested it log hopping alot. IMG_20191008_131542006_HDR.jpg
    1stgenfarmboy and thewbee like this.
  8. oakcutter

oakcutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had to full size so you could see the plate. The rear frame mounting brackets that came from HPT worked perfect and you need to drill and rubber grommet the front hole. Kinda like Wallace and Grommet.
  9. Pintro

Pintro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    New Sherpa owner here.
    I complete noob when it comes to carburetors.
    Looking to rejet the thing , as it has the usual cold blood symptoms.
    I was googling, and looking on Ebay for the jets, but there is so many different type of jets for Mikuni carbs........
    Does anyone have links for pilot/slow jet #30 and main jet #127.5 (or 130) to order please!?
    I am in California at 1200 feet
  10. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would suggest you take care to get actual Mikuni jets, not just compatible jets. There can be variations in the numbering. I have had great experience and service with Derek at moto-lab.com. As long as you're in there, you might consider replacing a bunch of o-rings and maybe the float needle. The rubber bits don't hold up well as you might hope. Many opinions out there about jetting. Here's mine, worth exactly what you're paying for it. Pilot #25, .020" washer under the needle clip, stock main. I have ridden that with no complaint from my sea level home to well over 10,000 feet on rough dirt and done a 500+ mile day on 4 lane highways. Runs like a champ.
    tlrmark, oakcutter and Pintro like this.
  11. mike21b

mike21b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can buy parts at your local Kawasaki dealer, or online. My favorite source is Ron Ayers Motorsports. The Mikuni part numbers below may have changed. I didn't change my needle settings, which became more popular since I rejetted mine 10+ years ago.

#130 Main Jet - Kawasaki Part Number 92063-1103 (JET-MAIN,#A130)
    #20 Pilot Jet - Kawasaki Part Number 92064-1043 (JET-PILOT #A20)

Mikuni part numbers are:
    Main Jet N200/604 (with proper orifice suffix to match Kawasaki P/N)
    Pilot Jet VM22/210 (with proper orifice suffix to match Kawasaki P/N)

Lots of online parts dealers will have them by the Mikuni part numbers, if not the specific Kawasaki numbers.

Most parts people can cross reference the part numbers, so you shouldn't be limited to a Kawasaki dealer. I'm pretty sure that Ron Ayers, as well as other online sources, has them.
    Pintro likes this.
  12. mike21b

mike21b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's newer part numbers for the Mikuni jets:

Mikuni Pilot Jet (VM22/210)
    Mikuni N100.604 Main Jet

While you are in there, I would also recommend changing your 4 float bowl screws with Allen bolts: 4mm x 14mm length. Despite having taken my carb apart many times, I still haven't done this because I didn't have them on hand at the time. I think Home Depot has them and I'm nearly certain that my local hardware store has them - they have almost everything imaginable. Last time I was in there, I badly rounded one of the phillips heads and made a mental note to get those bolts before I do it the next time.

If anyone wants to see it, I also have detailed, step by step instructions to re-jet the bike. I didn't write it, but it's humorous and has some handy hints. It's about 15+ years old. Mike Brantley, aka Dr J, the original owner of the Yahoo Super Sherpa group was the author.
    Pintro likes this.
  13. Dependables

Dependables Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Dependables

Dependables Adventurer

Oddometer:
    honda20 likes this.
  15. AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's alive! The Kawasaki Super Sherpa is back in action. The rebuild went really well and other than the planned pilot jet change (dealer sent the wrong jet) everything went according to plan - except for one very unexpected WTF moment. Based on my previous findings on the bike, such as using a roofing nail in place of a cotter pin on the rear wheel axle bolt which had to be drilled out, I shouldn't be surprised to find such a horrible hack job. I hadn't removed the sprocket cover up to this point, but having dropped a washer down in behind it during the rebuild, I removed it and found this. WTF! The frigger clearly stripped the splines off the crank shaft and his solution to the problem looks like he tacked in some bar stock and looks like welded blobs of snot to hold the sprocket on! I set this problem aside for another day, but I can't stop thinking about it - it's driving me crazy!

[​IMG]

Beauty! All new bits are installed and ready to go!
    • Cylinder head
    • Valves
    • Valve seals
    • Ring set
    • Various bolts, studs, spring seats and washers
    • Cleaned (but not yet re-jetted) carb
    • new spark plugs, oil, oil filter
    [​IMG]

Right after the top end was all put together, without the cylinder head cover on or the spark plug in, I ran the starter with and without the oil line hooked up to verify that the oil would pump through all the expected oil orifices after checking that they were clear of obstructions.

[​IMG]

Valve clearances checked and set on the loose end of the range and finally all buttoned up!

[​IMG]

The Sherpa fired up first time and is running nicely! Still cold blooded without the #30 pilot jet, but after a nice warm up period I cruised around the culdesac for a few laps, gently breaking the bike in and giving everything a chance to settle. I dumped the new oil after giving it a good opportunity to cycle through the system, and then added another fresh round of oil and new filter. The Sherpa is ready to go home!

I also tried popping out the tank dent with all the tricks: inflating an inner tube as a bladder in the tank, heating and cooling with upside down can of compressed air, and various combinations but nothing worked. The hump in the tank is at such a position that it's really hard and next to impossible to get anything in at the necessary angles. A purpose built bladder would probably do it, but I don't think I'll bother any further and just let the bike look like the Mad Max hack job that it is!

It's been pouring rain the past few days, so I'll wait for nicer weather to take bike out for a longer test ride and the final 30 KM ride from my Dad's place in Parksville back home to Nanaimo. As for the mess on the crank shaft and sprocket...I'll eventually have to replace that crankshaft and sprocket but am not really looking forward to the bottom end work. But I'll do it at some point. Clearly in the future, I won't be buying used bikes at dusk or without taking the darn thing apart nearly to the frame or trusting statements without verifying! Life lessons, am I right? :-S

[​IMG]
    ggrant, PTC, mike21b and 2 others like this.
  16. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Well worth fixing up.
    Looks great.
  17. gibbo-56

gibbo-56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice work Handyman, congrats on the rebuild. That countershaft certainly has been butchered, I just can’t imagine how the splines could get that damaged, the shaft is very hard compared to the sprocket for obvious reasons. Is it possible all that snot was just to secure the sprocket on the shaft as the retaining clip is missing?? Either way don’t rush in expecting to replace the shaft, with patience you may be able to dress the splines up to make it serviceable although difficult to fully assess the damage from the photo.
    Some Sherpa owners have had problems with that countershaft oil seal coming out with disasterous results, it has happened to me twice on two different bikes but luckily I noticed it in time. I now only use genuine countershaft sprockets with the dampening rubber on each side, the rubber I believe is to cushion the chain on the sprocket but it can serve another secondary very important function. If you are unlucky enough to have the seal dislodge the extra width on the sprocket will prevent the seal from fully coming out and hence saving the day.
    The photo below shows the polished inside of the sprocket that was just holding my seal in, I have no idea how long it had been like that I only found it when I went to swap the sprocket. Luckily I had a spare seal and after fitting it I used some silicone to glue in a washer to add a bit more security. You may recognise the washer as an exhaust header gasket. All I had on the side of the road in Russia. Still like it today.
    Any way you may want to consider the OEM sprocket when the time comes.
    Once again well done on the rebuild.
    Cheers Gibbo
    07C518F6-6A1B-488D-A872-29FDB76BDCBE.jpeg C3FC90B9-8F56-4C77-A6DE-C977E2769845.jpeg
  18. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Putting a DR650 Tank on a Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Ok, awhile back I bought a used 2009 Super Sherpa to ride the TAT and the MABDR on but the OEM tank was clearly too small for that so I started digging around to see what others had done to increase the range of the Sherpa. Sometime quite a while back an Inmate named Doc59 from Australia figured out how to mount a Suzuki DR650 tank on the Sherpa and posted some sketches on Advrider of the brackets he used to do so. Unfortunately all of the pictures he posted were lost due to a server change or something like that.

I posted a note asking if anyone had the dimensions of the brackets needed and got a reply from Inmate Notyourpop. He had started from scratch using the idea Doc59 had and created brackets for his. When I asked for the dimensions, he said he had made an extra set of brackets and offered to send them to me which he did. You don't get much nicer than this guy! The brackets were perfect and the conversion was very easy as a result.

While I sold my Sherpa after riding the MABDR a year ago, I want to be sure that the bracket dimensions are available for others who may want to put a DR650 tank on their Sherpa. Following are the two brackets needed and a few shots of the process along the way.

Side brackets:

.jpg

Rear Bracket:

2.jpg

Bracket installed with rubber puck:

2018-02-13 17.02.50.jpg

Plastic filler that is needed to fill the gap between the tank and the seat:

2018-02-13 17.02.59.jpg

Rear Bracket:

2018-02-13 17.17.39.jpg

Kawazuki:
    2018-02-15 15.59.08.jpg

Final Picture with Carbon Fiber Wrap on sides of tank:

1.JPG

This conversion is one of the nicest home brewed conversions I have come across. Much thanks to Inmate "Notyourpop" for all of his fine work and for his kind generosity. Were it not for him, this information would not be posted here.

PS. If anyone is active on any of the other Sherpa forums like the one hosted by Yahoo, would you please post a link on them letting folks know that these drawings are available.
    KirkN, Cal, thewbee and 5 others like this.
  19. Junglesmurf

Junglesmurf n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, I live in Queensland, Australia, just bought the 2000 model Sherpa, it seems slow on take off, is that normal? It may just seem slow because i have 2 other bikes, a 900 and a 1300 lol
    72581225_1304057426441081_1206584093018423296_n.jpg
  20. Windborne11

Windborne11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeh, slow. Does the engine sound like it is running right, or is it bogging? If its bogging you may have a dirty carb or old gas. Having just bought it, you may want to clean the carb and check the jetting. They come stock with a 17.5 pilot which will make for a lot of bogging when cold. A 25 pilot will fix that.