Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. oldtrialer

oldtrialer Trials since 74

Oddometer:
    And then there is abrasion resistance. You can cut carbon fiber composite with a hand saw. Sharp edges on rocks will do the same. Impact and abrasion will eventually weaken it to the point of failure. Aluminum can take more abuse and still be strong.

When they put composite skid plates on trials bikes, I might consider one.
    jhonny ro likes this.
  2. chefGSpot

chefGSpot Wandering aimlessly

Oddometer:
    If you ride a Sherpa like a trials bike you're gonna be worrying about more than what material your skid plate is made out of. You could have had a custom skid made for what you spent for that one you ordered.
  3. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put new $17 brake pads, a front/rear kit, on today. Huge improvement over my 2001 OEM pads. Fleabay and China, the place where engineering and manufacturing advances most quickly. Much more grab. Shipped from USA to me here in 3 days.

I have a $35 front brake line arrived all the way to the kitchen table, braided stainless over I suppose teflon, covered with black stuff. I would like to not have so much lever travel. Put it on tomorrow. Wont bother with the rear line unless the front works out well.
  4. jhonny ro

Oddometer:
    I easily cut aluminum sheet with heavy scissors. The thin sheet stuff. (good luck with kevlar and steel scissors.) Holds my nice $40 tachometer from Moto-labs as a tiny mounting plate. There are many Al alloys. Tough is available for all the way up to military use.

I personally prefer steel, only because manufacturers shy away from titanium for most consumer stuff.

Conclusion, Derek sells a nice Tach. Hugely helpful on this bike and entirely unobtrusive. +1

I will follow up on the carb after.
  5. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What use is a tack on a low performance trail scooter like the sherpa?? 19hp on a 285lb old tec suspension bike seems like a kid fantasizing he has a KTM. I love my Sherpa, but it is what it is, just a good solid putt-putt trailbike much like the old Honda 90 of the sixties era. Save your pennies for a real dirtbike if you have dreams of bashing your engine cases over 30ft jumps and such. Skid plate on mine was thrown in garbage years ago, as it serves no purpose , if I crawl over some big rocks it hurts nothing to scrape the frame tubes over them at 2mph.
  6. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a tach and a skid plate on mine. I've used them both. The tach is nice for tuning mostly, but I watch it on the road a little too. I need the help because I've only been riding for about 40 years, so I still can't tell the difference between screaming and redline yet. Can't understand the criticism, there's no downside to having one.

I'm curious what the advantage is to throwing away a skid plate. My skid plate has marks that confirm its worth. I'm sure not doing 30 foot jumps, but I sometimes take the Sherpa into remote enough places where a cracked case could have dire consequences. And I often use it in ways on the pavement that a dirt bike would not do. I have no illusion that it's a KTM, but I find mine much more capable than a Trail 90.
    CMS, NCJ, tlrmark and 1 other person like this.
  7. jhonny ro

Oddometer:
    I want it for setting idle speed. Also it is nice to know the RPM to MPH ratio in top gear. After that it becomes mostly invisible, being quite small and mostly out of sight.
  8. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    The money and time I would spend on "performance upgrades" is spent instead on adventures riding the Sherpa... and also riding (and having the money to buy) other motos I'm lucky to own. Just saying...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bajasam likes this.
  9. NWRambler

Oddometer:
    @MikeS I hear you on that. The skid plate came with the bike and the tach was only 10 bucks. Hell, my Sherpas were only $500 and $600. More money for gas and beer. And gas. And beer.
    IMG_20191119_142527030.jpg
  10. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of saddlebags on my sherpa very similar, I welded up some 3/8" rod brks to hold them away from exh and flopping against tire, very useful. I carry a gallon of gas on leftside in used pool acid jug, and water in exhust side to balance weight. Seems like every ride is right at limit of that small tank, and the extra gallon opens up many more options on ride choices, great bike, your use seems prefectly matched for what it was designed for, beautiful landscape there. My opinions are just my opinions and everyone has one I think the saying goes. My pre-sherpa bike was XR650L, but in my old age with fake body parts installed throughout I'm not missing any of the Ol honda pigs 340 pounds, sometimes miss those full 11" of susp travel and tractor torque. I do have a 12 tooth front for my sherpa that i use if needed though that makes 1st gear very torquey.
  11. NWRambler

Oddometer:
    An angry red XR is why I have a set of super high performance titanium upgrades in my right ankle. Which is why I prefer a lower lighter bike these days too. My DR 650 is also lowered and lightened up. Not sure if I'll be cremated or sold for scrap.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    an angry Honda XR650R turned most of me mostly purple. God I loved that bike. 3x the horse power of the sherpa and not too much heavier.

DB9522EF-ACE6-4F27-BE8C-40C77346FC47.jpeg
    EFACAF0B-5EE1-4977-8A67-7D8AB0967099.jpeg
    And to keep it sherpa related I wonder when she will fix this 6673E080-01D6-4D9D-93C2-9C01573503C5.jpeg
  13. jhonny ro

Oddometer:
    Both?

My Continental TKC70s are mounted on the wheels, put them on the bike tomorrow and ride local city streets in Boston tomorrow. The shop found it needed a quarter pound of lead to balance the rear wheel. Stop, dismount, rotate, try again, again, then only one ounce. They have an expensive balance machine... It came with no weights from the factory, a 20 year old bike with Death Wings hardly worn. Said it seems true, no out of round anything.

Wanted a milk crate but bought a dirt bike stand on flea bay, milk crate alternative with a foot lever, arrives in a week. The bike is currently raised on a mounted snow tire sitting on the floor with 8 inches of wood above. [​IMG]
  14. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol... your high class, all my repairs were thru Veterans Admin, they only gave me stainless steel.
  15. oldtrialer

Oddometer:
    Skid plate completed. Not bad for $118, aluminum I had, filler metal and some argon. Took about four hours to shape and weld onto the skid plate I bought.

20210821_131318.jpg 20210821_131339.jpg
  16. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the angles on the case protection sides looks very functional.

What do you use to cut your aluminum pieces?

I need to pull the trigger on AC DC tig.
  17. oldtrialer

Oddometer:
    I used a jigsaw with metal blade. Made a press brake for the hydraulic press to bend the aluminum.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  18. jhonny ro

Oddometer:
    The stand is two step, low or high. Down or up. Was cheap and will be fine
  19. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Posted this in the wanted section but thought Id cross post it here too...

Needing a voltage regulator for my sherpa. OEM is ridiculously priced and after market one shipping from China will take a month.
  20. NWRambler

Oddometer:
    BecaBoo likes this.