Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another mistake of mine. The wrong jet was #5 in diagram and stamped 27.5.

Attached Files:

2. jhonny ro

Oddometer:
    I expect the better jetting will result in better starting and running in cold weather and more usable rpm range. My old ex250 stumbled at 3,500 then with factory pro revisions pulled clean from 2k in top gear. These are reasons to improve jetting. A bike that won’t run well at all has other issues.
  3. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Calling it a fuel screw (or pilot fuel screw) rather than a idle mixture screw brings with it the benefit of knowing what effect it has (i.e. that opening it richens the mixture, while closing it leans the mixture).
    Sir, you're welcome!

Regards,

Derek
  4. Brickit

Brickit Not a spectator

Oddometer:
    When I got my Sherpa back from my son it was in a no start condition. It had always been hard start. So I have been lurking around here a lot (I’m usually in the parallel universe). After 1 conversation with Derek at motolab I got the confidence and parts to do the carb myself (I haven’t had a carb apart in 20 years).
    Just touch the start button....she purrs!
    I wish I had put a hour meter on that starter years ago....it has the record for revolutions without replacement.

THANK YOU Derek!
  5. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear!
    Sir, you're very welcome!

Regards,

Derek
  6. AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Parts are on their way, ordered from Webike Japan. The local Kawasaki dealer back order was over a month and a half out. $ came in about 20% less than dealer pricing including FedEx shipping but I'm expecting to pay taxes on delivery. Expected deliver date is Monday. Hopefully I'll have time to put it back together this week.
  7. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NEVER buy parts from a dealer, virtually all internet parts sites will substantially beat prices for OEM parts vs what a dealer will charge. My goto site is Partzilla and sometimes Rockymountain ATV. But there's many more.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  8. AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canadian suppliers for OEM parts other than dealers are few and far between (particularly for older, low volume sales bikes) and unfortunately importing from the US is not duty free.
    tlrmark likes this.
  9. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought there was businesses set up with a postal box on US side that transported packages into Canada for distrubution too avoid duty. But for sure you guys up north are at a disadvantage.
  10. oldtrialer

oldtrialer Trials since 74

Oddometer:
    I put Kenda Track Masters on the Sherpa this week. Put about 5 miles on today on local streets with speeds up to 40MPH. Had 17 PSI front and rear. Ride was smooth and cornered good. Anyone used these and what pressures did you run? Street and dirt. Doing my first Dual Sport ride next Sunday. Info says minimal asphalt to trails. The area is mountain and old coal mining.
  11. AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Super Sherpa is back in action! The rear caliper cleaned up nicely and has been rebuilt with new seals and piston, the front and rear rotors and pads have been replaced and new throttle cables installed for good measure as they were starting to fray at the carburator end.

IMG_1024.JPEG
    IMG_1026.JPEG
    IMG_1027.JPEG
    IMG_1028.JPEG

I took it out for a nice 1 hour ride around town and everything works as it should, which is a good thing!

Attached Files:

thewbee likes this.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    depending on what you weigh you can go down from there if you need to. I carry a pump, most of my bikes have rim locks. I air down until I get traction then air up if it’s fast strip mine or dump truck roads. Not airing up I have bent a few rims. 17 is probably good to start and let speed and traction dictate what you need from there.

you have a trials bike in your avatar, there is a legend in NC about trials rider on a sherpa that climbed a hill that dirt bikes couldn’t get up. Hmm come to think of it he was from PA too.
  13. oldtrialer

Oddometer:
    Saturday at the club, 17 PSI seemed to work good on the rocky, muddy and rutted single track we have. I weigh 165lbs. I'll see how it goes on Sunday. I am carrying a pressure gauge with me, but don't have a small pump. I did install rim locks. I've only had my Sherpa for two months. Last time I rode something this heavy in the woods was the early 70's.
  14. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had my 701 out last weekend 18 rear on a 606 and 12 front on a goldentyre fatty bike and rider 600 plus pounds. I keep a Mt bike pump in camelbak
  15. ewagman

ewagman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Sherpa's turn signal stalks are cracking and one has broken. Looks like Kawasaki wants $60 or so each for a turn signal assembly, the stalks don't seem to be sold separately. I'd like to keep a flexible stalk, street legal looking set up. Doesn't have to be DOT certified, but I don't want to attract unwanted attention, and I may need to get through state inspections. I think there should be a cost effective solution for this issue. Any suggestions?
  16. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.cyclopsadventuresports....scontinued-New-version-coming-soon_p_242.html

These are bright and flexible. Some Chinese ones on cut up air hose work too.
  17. oldtrialer

Oddometer:
    I got these as spares for mine. For the rear, you can drill out a bolt for the wires and mount just the light to the frame. I think I saw someone selling the bolts. I wanted to keep DOT legal and have something that can be seen good. And, you don't need resistors or a relay kike with the LEDs.

Screenshot 2021-10-05 222218.png
  18. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right left? Front rear? Whadaya need? After two Sherpas, and an obsession with crashable LED's, I might have a couple extras around.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  19. ewagman

ewagman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This looks to be an exact match for the originals. I must have not used correct search terms when I looked unsuccessfully on Amazon the first time, "bikemaster Kawasaki KLR250" did the trick. The current listings for these lights has the photos for front and rear reversed, but since I need both lefts, that error should not be an issue. The price seems good since it includes shipping. Thanks. I wonder if there is any difference between lefts and rights, both fronts seem identical to each other, as do the rears.
    NWRambler, thanks for the reply. Shipping from the left coast to the right would likely make the value for used units a bit costly, and older ones may die a uv death too soon, like mine most likely did. Either that or I bumped them too often squeezing between the bike and my waverunner in the shed. I recently changed my business and am amazed at shipping costs for items, both large and small using USPS, UPS, or a trucking company for really large items. The little guy sure pays a bundle.
    greasyfatman, I appreciate the reply, it's simpler to go with stock appearing ones that won't need a flasher change.
    jhonny ro likes this.
  20. jhonny ro

Oddometer:
    It does look like a reasonably close match except the stalk seems longer than OEM. The OEM part has the same part number left and right, at USD$111 each.
    Thanks oldtrial
    er for finding these.