Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Partzilla has them for 55 bucks--OEM new, they do have a 111.00 price but thats for a set of two.
  2. Brickit

Brickit Not a spectator

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem and I figured out that if ya take pliers and rip it apart The piece that screws into the signal housing will bolt right on to the original mount without the stem... 20211011_162151.jpg
    jhonny ro likes this.
  3. Brickit

Brickit Not a spectator

Oddometer:
    20211004_183352.jpg Ya gotta see what my Mom (86) did to sherpie...with a paintbrush!​
    Hogges, bajasam, tlrmark and 2 others like this.
  4. Give 'er

Give 'er Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Is it HER sherpie? Even nicer!
  5. Brickit

Brickit Not a spectator

Oddometer:
    She wouldn't ride it. But she used to ride! She had a 360 honda backing in 74.
  6. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that's one cool memaw!!!!
  7. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my Happy Trails Wapiti rack on the bike today. Nice large rack. Took some pushing and pulling but looks good. I am happy.

Anyone who buys that rack for this bike should ensure to have two M8x60 Allen bolts before you get started on the install, as the rack ships with M8x50. These are for the front of the rack, and the 50s are too short.

I am happy to go to a decent hardware store on a Saturday morning, so that part is fine.

They don't really have to be Allens, regular shoulder headed bolts are fine too and maybe are superior since the Allens use a flat washer underneath. A shoulder is probably better than a washer.

Cheers!
  8. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had the same problems years ago. They never fixed it.
  9. Nigro Santana

Nigro Santana n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello group.

Finally I got my SS, I was looking for one since 4 months or so, there are not to much SS here in Mexico, so I went for mine to Yucatan and brought it home to Guadalajara, more than 1100 miles in 3 days.

Its not in perfect shape, but I will work on her to leave it like new or as close as I can.

I dont know if the exhaust is complete, I imagined it a little quieter, Does it should have a db killer or something like that? If you remove the two allen screws at the end of the exhaust, How should it look inside?

Attached Files:

tlrmark likes this.
  10. AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike in your thumbnail looks pretty good to me, much better than my beast which is pretty rough! Hope you enjoy your Sherpa!

IMG_0063.JPG
    Nigro Santana likes this.
  11. jhonny ro

Oddometer:
    Nigro Santana,

I also think your bike looks really good!!

That seat has been enhanced, I await my seat concepts kit.

On the muffler, I agree, not so quiet. I was unable to get the Allen bolts to move, they seem soft metal, this is a winter project to remove end cap and look inside. I will probably ruin the Allens, and replace after. Then reassemble with no solution.

I think there is no off the shelf solution for more quiet because most people want more noise. I want it to be as quiet as a Honda trail 125.
  12. Nigro Santana

Nigro Santana n00b

Oddometer:
    In general she looks good, but there are some details; the plastics are painted with brush haha, the tank is repaired from one side becouse an oversteering and the limit on the oposite side of the fork is broken. All the electrics require an exhaustive inspection, the dashboard is showing black with white numbers and the speed is always 0, fortunately I found a very clear schematic.

It is leaking fuel from the fuel switch, I belive that it is a matter of changing the gascket, today I emptied the tank and tomorrow I will remove the switch to see what is happening.

During the whole trip the rear shock was a little to fast but not to bad, today after I tried to adjust the rebound the shock started to pop out, Its like it hits when descompressed, Do you know if it can be solve with a shock manteinance? I tried readjusting the rebound but in any position it feels the same.

About the muffler, I´m pretty sure that I saw a video on the internet where a guy modified it to make it louder, but I cant find it anymore, maybe that video has the answer.

photo_2021-11-01_16-11-44.jpg

schematic.png
  13. Nigro Santana

Nigro Santana n00b

Oddometer:

I have the regular seat, and it is not the best for a +1,000mile trip, depending on your further review I will consider the seat concepts kit.
  14. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 09 is very quiet, so possibly someone removed a baffle inside your muff. For fuel petcock, do yourself a favor and order a petcock for a older yamaha xt250 and replace your vaccum petcock with a regular on-off-reserve style. I got mine off of Partzilla for 17.00 dollars.
    jhonny ro and Nigro Santana like this.
  15. Nigro Santana

Nigro Santana n00b

Oddometer:
    jhonny ro likes this.
  16. jhonny ro

Oddometer:
    I popped my end cap off yesterday, and there was a small crescent slice of what looked like foam rubber sheet maybe 1/8 inch thick- 2mm flopping around in the cap. I am not brave to drill the thing apart before I see Nigro Santana's operation.
  17. Nigro Santana

Nigro Santana n00b

Oddometer:
    I will not drill anything, my end cap was empty :(

Based on the reference that I posted before, I got some fiberglass and ceramic wool, I have a friend that works with those kind of materials for thermal insulation on industrial ovens, he recomended me the fiberglass over the ceramic wool, anyway he gave me some of both, so I can test and decide wich one sound better to me.

My friend rolled the fiberglass on somekind of thermal resistant paper to simplify the manipulation of it, I cut it with an inside diameter step to adapt it to the inside space on the exhaust and to fill as much as posible without interrumping the airflow, because the light density I belive it will not affect the flow and will reduce considerably the sound.

Unfortunately I dont have the fuell swith gasket yet, so It will have to wait :/ to show you the results.
    silencer 1.jpg silencer 2.jpg silencer 3.jpg
    jhonny ro and KirkN like this.
  18. jhonny ro

Oddometer:
    I get it, I thought you would grind the welds and remove a baffle tube. How does it sound with the packing?
  19. oldtrialer

oldtrialer Trials since 74

Oddometer:
    Took the Sherpa out for my first real woods ride today with some club members. Kenda Trackmasters front and rear. AOAA is a county owned OHV park on 6000 acres of former coal mining area. $28 to ride for the day. The area is pretty much woods now. Some main, 50' wide roads with woops and huge puddles to ride around. Trails on tailings piles and up the mountain have some smooth areas and a lot of loose baseball sized rocks and some larger ones. Everything is real loose from the SXS's and jeeps. Had a close encounter with a tree on an uphill when the rear got kicked to the side. First test of the handguards. Front end washed out on a downhill and laid the bike over on the left side. Picked it up and started to walk it the rest of the way down. It leaned over too far to the right while I was on the left and had to let it go. Only stopped on one uphill when I had to put my feet down on some large loose rocks. I'm really impressed by the torque it has. I lugged it up a long loose hill in third gear with no problem. Everyone else was on MX bikes and I was able to keep up with them. The views were good from the top of the mountain.
    20211107_113538.jpg 20211107_133137.jpg
    1stgenfarmboy, thewbee and KirkN like this.
  20. Dsgb031

Dsgb031 The older I get, the faster I was

Oddometer:
    I’m currently on my second Sherpa, it’s a pretty decent 01 with less than 10k on the clock. I was lucky enough to own a pristine 09 a couple of years ago that had barely 3k on it when I picked her up. I never really had any mechanical issues with the 09 other than blowing the fork seals as a result of me getting carried away playing around on some jumps and vastly exceeding the design parameters of the suspension. The clutch had JUST started to slip the tiniest little bit under hard acceleration when someone offered to trade me their beautiful 1990 Honda CB-1 even Stephen.
    I was very pleased with my first Sherpa and jumped at the chance to pick up another one (with the gold rims this time!!) near me. The clutch was slipping when I bought it but from my research I figured that this was common. I ordered some new friction plates, good ones too, not some $20 Chinese crap and couldn’t wait to have her back performing at 100%. I replaced the friction plates but had considerable trouble getting the clutch cable properly adjusted. It was either so tight that it caused the clutch to slip or not tight enough to fully disengage the two halves of the clutch resulting in uncharacteristically rough shifting. After pulling it back apart to inspect again after acquiring a service manual with all of the requisite inspection tolerances I realized what I already suspected which was that the springs were way shot as well as the brand new EBC friction plates. At this point I ordered new friction and steel plates as well as KLX300 springs and a new clutch cable. Unfortunately, an extremely embarrassing mistake during my reassembly resulted in the bike snapping the timing chain upon start up. (I had forgotten to remove the copper washer I used to immobilize the gears so that I could tighten the retaining nut to spec) Luckily nothing else was damaged and after getting a supposedly “silent timing chain” as the box stated, from Flebay I was back in business. The bike was still shifting a little bit less smoothly than I thought it should so I also replaced the clutch lever and perch as the one that was on it apparently had gotten bent at some point and straightening it out to the point where it would have the necessary throw to disengage power completely was impossible.
    So now I’m back enjoying dual sporting bliss with my kids and my friends ( My son and I are building him a VERY cool NX250 with several modifications to bring it’s performance closer to it’s potential that will be his first bike!!) Anyway, a couple of nights ago the bike suddenly dies while I’m out on a group ride. We had just pulled off from the gas station and I couldn’t have been going more than 15 mph, it kind of sounded like something either let go or something in the bottom end but the sound was super brief and faint. After checking it out for a sec I tentatively hit the starter and she fired right up. I played with it for a sec and didn’t like how the transmission felt so I drove it straight home. I had since gotten an OEM timing chain for it so I decided that I would use its instillation as an opportunity to have a little looksie…. When I got the clutch basket off I noticed two things right off. First off the gear on the basket has way more play in it than it originally had and secondly, the gear on the output shaft that is visible through the little cut out on the case there was a LOT of play in it in a couple of directions. It is supposed to be a free spinning gear unless the slider is engaged with it but I have NEVER seen one with this much play… it’s like the bearing is just gone. The transmission out of a KLX300R is the same is it not?