SUPER TENERE 1200: Are they built and ready to be shipped to the US?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ~TABASCO~, Mar 1, 2011.

1. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    What was your color and where is the dealer?
  2. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    Troll.
  3. ~TABASCO~

~TABASCO~ www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer:
    Prolly :puke1
  4. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know guys, to be honest, as much as I like the look of the Tenere, how much better than a Vstrom is it? On the road i'm sure there is no difference and off road, will there really be much of an advantage.
    Some day I'll buy a used one because I do like them but, it's not the end of the world if they dont land on these shores till the end of the year.
    If you "really" want one, and money is no object, ship one over from Europe.
    A $4000 used Vstrom and $8000 in my pocket sounds a lot better to me than stressing out for the next 4 months.
    You can sell the V next spring and pick up a nice used Tenere for $10K.
  5. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh

About 9 years better at a guess. Any ex V-Strom owners care to elaborate?

From a distance though, if you discount the emissions regs and the fact that the DL1000 can't be sold many places and the new ABS system and the more sophisticated Engine management and the suspension and the wire tubeless wheels and the 200cc more grunt and the shaft drive and the brakes and the traction control and the bit extra ground clearance and the weight distribution advances, prolly not that much.

But you are right on the second hand ones.
  6. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    I never planned on selling my V Strom (1000), until the Super Tenere was announced. The V Strom is a great bike, no doubt about it. Up until the announcement of the S10 coming to NA, there wasn't another bike that I thought was better for the kind of riding I do and the reliably I expected from an "adventure", bike.

I'm not expecting more "grunt", from the S10, but I am expecting a better suspension and a bit lower COG for un-paved stuff. The S10 is a little bit heavier, so I'll see how I like it when I (finally), get it. :rofl

The S10 looks good, but the proof is in the riding!!!
  7. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned two DL650s. I liked them a lot, but always wanted just a little more power on the road, and they both needed a fork brace for stability.
  8. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Well, 1st lets hope for the best for Japan after today. The bikes are nothing compared to the devastation they have been hit with. Not wanting to sound self centered, because again, the Japanese people are in trouble and need help, but wonder if this will also effect the factory and bike production ?
    Is this bike even built in Japan ? Again, it's insignificant compared to their hardship right now, we all know that.

If there ever was a nation we should help with funds and resources, unlike most others, Japan is one of them.
  9. A Knight Who Says Ni

A Knight Who Says Ni Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:huh yes. It is built in the Yamaha factory in japan
  10. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    I thought so but wasnt 100% sure. Some Jap bikes are not built in Japan.
  11. A Knight Who Says Ni

Oddometer:
    Yamaha motors is based in Iwata, Japan. It is very close to the pacific coast so that may not be a good thing if you are worried about S10 production now. But it's just a motorcycle. What's most important at the moment is that the people directly affected by the tragedy are helped.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=iwata+japan&amp;sll=34.717904,137.851513&amp;sspn=0.327915,0.727158&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Iwata,+Shizuoka+Prefecture,+Japan&amp;t=h&amp;z=12&amp;ll=34.717904,137.851513&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=iwata+japan&amp;sll=34.717904,137.851513&amp;sspn=0.327915,0.727158&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Iwata,+Shizuoka+Prefecture,+Japan&amp;t=h&amp;z=12&amp;ll=34.717904,137.851513" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
    <small></small>
  12. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    To most here, I made that clear. Read it a little more slowly Knight.

13. A Knight Who Says Ni

Oddometer:

I'm not talking about you.

I'm pointing out where where the factory is and making a general statement about bike production.
  14. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Yea, looking at the videos coming out, its really bad over there. Man, the earth quake alone was bad enough.
  15. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not seeing any reports about the Shizuoka Prefecture specifically (where Yamaha and also Suzuki's main facilities are), but they are shown on the map as at risk. They are about at the junction of the first orange and red line in the south.

Hopefully they will be OK, but ports might be a different matter? I think after people are taken care of the Japanese governments next priority will be to keep trade flowing, so maybe delays won't be so significant.

But as expressed by the others, it's just a motorcycle and we can wait. In fact we should order more to help them out! Just kidding but you know what I mean - cancelling because there's a bit of a wait certainly isn't going to be helpful.

Trevor

[​IMG]
  16. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I questioned about the fate of the Yamaha facility on their facebook page. Their reply was "all is well being that we are 400 miles south of the quake zone". Again this is coming from a US source who may not know anymore than we know right now.
  17. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    Hi Roy,

I saw your post there and also sent a question, but I can't see any replies from them. I haven't figured out this whole facebook thing, I guess. Thanks for the update.
  18. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fred looks like they made an official announcement on their FB wall just now. Seems all is okay there but they said logistics could become an issue and I assume htey mean moving product. Makes sense.

Yea I'm not a huge fan of facebook but you have to roll with the flow these days is the only reason I am on it.

It appears they actually "removed" their origianl reply to me over there. I guess they decided to post up an official statement on the wall so all could see.
  19. A Knight Who Says Ni

Oddometer:
    "Our counterparts in Japan have told us Yamaha’s facilities have not suffered any damage from the 8.9 magnitude earthquake that hit Japan. We are grateful for this news, but cannot be entirely sure of the quake’s impact on global logistics. We are not anticipating any disruptions at this time. In the meantime, our thoughts and prayers are with the people and families who have been directly impacted."
  20. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    This really puts all of the late-delivery-complaining into perspective. I'm glad to hear that the manufacturing facility was not damaged, and I pray for the victims of the earthquake. I was hoping my S10 would be here in May. If it gets here in June, I'm still buyin' it. If it gets here in July, I'm still buyin' it. If it gets here in August, I'm still buyin' it...........