SUPER TENERE 1200: Are they built and ready to be shipped to the US?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ~TABASCO~, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    Can you believe this SHIT :ddog I ordered mine on September 2nd

Last week I had gone to the dealer to ask about delivery and the salesman said he was going to talk to the Yamaha rep this week and would get me an answer :dog

Today I got this e-mail from him :ddog

"Hi,
    I got the update from Yamaha, and the estimated ship date is July. They did say if production arrives sooner they will release sooner.
    "

I'm NOT HAPPY, I was planning a trip in July :baldy
  2. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered mine Sept 8 and the dealer told me June was the planned delivery. There seems to be a lot of ??? on when we'll get them.
  3. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, same order date for me, same delivery estimate. Given the recent events I don't think anyone should be absolutely counting on any particular delivery date. Makes sense to have a Plan B i.e. take the Connie instead or move the trip to August or September. Or if you've sold your bike already buy something cheap to get you through till the S10 gets here. Whatever, it's not worth getting all hot and bothered about...
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I just docked the Kobe Express here in NY. The captain of the ship told me the port faucilities in Japan are protected fairly well and should be in pretty good shape. But obviously he was not there since.

But again, that is really superficial. Every one us understands the heartbreaking devistation the country is under right now. But of course we also cant help to wonder.
  5. Reverend12

Reverend12 Well there it is..

Oddometer:
    Your right, it's just a motorcycle and those people need a world of help over in Japan, we'll get em when we get em..
  6. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The earthquake may have ripple effects to the Japanese production of vehicles that goes beyond just shipping. I doubt final production of the S10 has started and I suspect Yamaha uses JIT mfg methods with some of the bits that are going into US-bound S10's manufactured in far-flung locations around Japan or other parts of the world that are affected by the quake. It only takes a holdup in one part to hold up the entire motorcycle.

From the beginning, those of us who have dealt with the PDP before were telling folks to be flexible - if you were making hard-core plans around a date, you were taking a risk. (I was personally accused of using "scare tactics.") With the disaster, complaining about timing seems to lack even more perspective.

There are other good adv bikes in showrooms today. The PDP is what it is. It generally results in good prices and a way for us to get bikes that otherwise might not be available to us, but it is not for those who need complete predictability.

- Mark
  7. ~TABASCO~

~TABASCO~ www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer:

X 2 :clap
  8. airheadpilot

airheadpilot Le Poulet du D├ęsert

Oddometer:
    This whole "earthquake" thing is a media snow-job that Yamaha invented to provide an excuse for their delayed delivery. Everyone knows that earthquakes aren't real and are just a product of the liberal media. I've lived in CA my entire life and have never even met anyone who has felt an earthquake.
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  10. Steve in ATL

Steve in ATL How ya like me now?

Oddometer:
    Or, Godzilla.
  11. Steve in ATL

Steve in ATL How ya like me now?

Oddometer:

I'm not selling my 'Strom, even WITH the Tenere coming. I like the idea of owning both. Maybe I'll change my mind later, but right now it seems like a good idea to me.
  12. JSEARS

JSEARS Armed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two things:

1. I am considering putting an order in for one of these things what is the est delivery for a May order?

2. All Inmates bitching about not getting their XT when their dealer said they would need to STFU....there are people dieing, dead or in rough situations right now over in Japan. Iv got a handful of Air Force friends stationed at the various bases in Japan. One is stuck in a Hotel room right now, another is without home (completely destroyed) and one has a Japanese Girl friend who lost some family.
  13. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The official PDP ordering period ends Mar 31, so theoretically you can't order a bike after this date and have it included in this year's production - you'd have to wait until the next PDP ordering period which is unscheduled. That being said, some dealers have ordered extra bikes for such situations and can "work you in" - the delivery of such a bike could be anytime from June until Sept depending on when the dealer placed the order.

A couple people who have recently ordered are saying the dealers are quoting a Sept delivery.

(All these dates are just estimates by Yamaha's ordering system and could change, earlier or later. The effect of the quake on scheduling is currently unknown at this point.)

- Mark
  14. JSEARS

JSEARS Armed Adventurer

Oddometer:

So I could still get a order in just needs to be in the next 2 weeks NLT the 31st, don't care when I get it, just want to secure one....my only fear would be over orders. In otherwords more orders than production because people with late orders like me would be the ones getting the shaft.
  15. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The whole idea of the PDP is that Yamaha can build exactly to the order book, so the risk of them reneging on a deal would seem very small.

- Mark
  16. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Sept was the last I heard from the Yamaha rep in Cali. pre earthquake.

The photos are unbelivable in the paper. If there was ever a country we needed to help right now, it's them.
  17. Big Mistake onWheels

Big Mistake onWheels Banned

Oddometer:
    That's odd. I was dirt riding SE of Bakersfield couple weeks ago and felt one. Been in Calif at least 3 weeks in my life. Anyway, I been sqwacking about the late delivery too----but that was before the earthquake in Japan. I don't think Yamaha engineered the quake to slow deliveries,as you alledge. I think Sarah Palin did--her & Rush Limbaugh---just like they engineered the recent shootings in Arizona. Anyway, wife's lookin for a place to donate to to Japanese relief efforts. God Bless'em all. The Yamaha shipping scheduler too.
  18. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've logged many miles on two DL1000's & two DL650's . . . rode the Tenere at bike week and was very impressed with how light, smooth, and powerful it is. It feels more like the DL650 . . . with smoother power than a DL1K . . . more power than you will ever need . . . no need to ever go over 5,000 RPM.

Yes, I'm not ready to give up any of my current bikes . . . but may delay my retirement for a 4th bike!:evil

Very impressive tubeless/spoked wheels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWUIc5ROYqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkrvJZmJZbI

[​IMG]
  19. JSEARS

JSEARS Armed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I made My decision...put my 500 bucks down about an hour ago.

Blue with the ADV Touring Package.

Ill get it when I get it and wont throw a fit! Probably in the fall.

Iv got my KLR till then.
  20. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good one. I hope the deliveries aren't too affected bu the quake and all.

Cheers
    Graham