SUPER TENERE 1200: Are they built and ready to be shipped to the US?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ~TABASCO~, Mar 1, 2011.

1. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Naw, that's just high technology. It's an engineered crumple zone. Just like modern cars.:wink::augie
  2. Rema in Paluda

Rema in Paluda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    O, you were comparing apples with Orages, taking the piss at me ehr... :rofl
  3. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Single up too the thing just runs out of wind. I don't know of any other S10 owners
    bragging about upper end performance. Well, one.:D

Nobody likes getting their ass kicked, Harley owners excluded. I just like the bike
    well enough for what it does in the real world that I can live with the fact it is not
    the fastest, lightest, best looking bike out there.

No bike covers the whole market. Explains looking in my garage. Different bikes for
    different strokes.
  4. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:
    Who's bragging about the upper end performance, because i really don't get why someone would ride it in high revs, thats so beside the point of this bike ?

Aboout teh different bikes, any man should be allowed at least 3 bikes by the missus, that should be made the seventh amandment or so... :deal
  5. Ze_zaskar

Ze_zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, but could someone explain me why are these guys arguing about aceleration and top speed of a bike designed for intercontinental crossings, to swallow shitty fuel, to have reasonable mpg, low end torqu, to survive a couple of 100k miles, largely developed in northen africa, in a forum called Adventure Rider? I'm completely missing the point...

It might be my impression, but I see more fuss about 0,1s on 0-60 or top speed here than on the R1-vs-zx10r-vs-S1000RR topics at Road Warriors.

Keep it real
  6. dave6

dave6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the guys who want fast light, handles well, smoke a Duc etc. Nick Sanders went around the world on an R1 a few times. Here is an example of one designed for dirt. Just thought I would add to the absurdity of this conversation.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oa6oxGdBZ_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    In a suprise announcement, Yamaha acknowledges the success of Harley Davidson's Screaming Eagle Accessory division and introduces the off road legal only, Stephane Peterhansel GYT Powerup Kit, for the Tenere 1200.

Msrp as yet to be released... :wink:

996DL
  8. dave6

dave6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  9. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    I'm so with you on this, all this BS about power and acceleration, who cares? :becca

There are some people in here that comment so much that I doubt they actually ride and if they do it's probably just around the block so they can make a little video about acceleration :csm

I now only visit this thread once in a while, too much noise :cry
  10. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh great, straight pipes. Exactly what I wanted. Maybe wrap them with asbestos tape too.:tb:tb:tb
  11. Ze_zaskar

Ze_zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok pals, next discution will be R1 vs S1000RR on cargo capacity. I think the SRR has some advantage here, even if the bike's underside is somewhat more exposed to rocks on the trail. Next week we can talk about headlight power and lean angles of the different HD Softails.

:evil
  12. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I think the R1 has proved itself on that account. It's the standard by which others are judged.

How's that, Do you need a pic?
  13. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:
    Yeah another Dutch Sjaak :-)
    (He also moved from another brand to Yamaha btw.)
  14. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "2.gear acceleration @ 2000 metres, 50 - 100 km/h (Motorrad, Alpen Masters 2010)"

"2. gear?" does this mean a second gear roll-on? Tell me what gear that is for sure so I can take my S10 out and check it in the proper mode. I don't know of any gear that takes that long, but I'm willing to try and verify. Don't know why I'd want to do that in 2nd gear though.. You'd be accelerating from 3500 to almost 7000RPM..you do that going trough the Stelvio 2-up? Here is something specific to the S10 that may be coming into play IF we're talking about 2nd gear. In T (touring) mode, the HP is electronically limited by a considerable amount below 5000RPM, in the first three gears. In 'S' mode, that limit diminishes by quite a bit but is still there to some degree. I've seen a lot closer numbers in other rags, so I'm almost willing to bet that the rag your chart came from tested while in T mode. There has already been word out that a couple of shops have eliminated the HP restriction by reprogramming the ECU. I can see the attraction of realizing the bike's full potential, but at the same same I've never felt that it lacks any needed HP.

Secondly, your obsession with Rema is getting a bit overboard, don't you think? Rema will be Rema...if you want him to stop, don't feed the Rema :). Posting about him in third person is a bit much, don't you think? You started the acceleration discussion anyway, and on this bike, it really doesn't matter...trust me. Go for a test ride if you really want to find-out for sure. If it's still not your cup of tea, that's understandable, but most people don't buy this bike based upon what looks like the central theme of all your posts.

To give you a little background on my frame of reference, I'm no stranger to fast bikes. I've owned, among many other bikes, a CBR1100XX and YZF1000R. The S10 can't be mentioned in the same sentence with those bikes when it comes to acceleration, but I'm telling you from my perspective it's still no slouch. It's all good though..ride your own ride, but I just can't see the point of bouncing around from thread to thread just to bag on a perfectly good machine....actually the best all-round bike I've ever owned.

I'm sure you have more constructive use of your time.
  15. 20valves

20valves Yamaholic

Oddometer:
    I spent the weekend with an FZ-1, 1098S, 2 FJR's a Versys and a Wee Strom working the curves in AR. I had absolutely zero trouble hanging with the big sport bikes. We don't race, but we do hustle along pretty good and the S10 had plenty of juice for any sane situation on the street.
  16. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1, My S10 is boring, slow, and unexciting. Just the way I like it.:snore:snore:snore
  17. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:
    +1
    Yep its very dependable boring and unexiting, but it only looks low, like Pedrosa looks slow and alien...
  18. DirtynDusty

DirtynDusty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea congrats to Pedrosa rode a great race there n japan. stoner looked like he was going to run away with it didnt he. But we all make mistakes,as did he. I also hated 2 see ben Spies go off n that tangle with valenteno Rossi. Im still amazed The people of Japan was able to pull off that event after all they have been through. Hats off to the japan people involved in & behind the seens. The Race This weekend @ 10 pm on speed live. is a hybrid track designed by Mcgrath & Ricky carmichael, I have seen the lay out design. looks interesting ,A little moto-x ,a lit. supermoto ,a lit supercross, kinda like back in the late 70s & early 80s. & on the other topic of the Tenere I like to call mine a super t. Im very satisfied so far , I only have about 3 thousand mi. so far mostly Twistys back roads ,& some dirt , i Know n its stock form especially here in the states, the bikes are california emmissioned ( choked down.) You can argue about details, im leaving mine stock for now it has all i need, love the great fuel milage. yes i have rode faster bikes. But this is a purpose built machine sold here n the states as a dual crossover transcontinate bike , we will see about relibility as time goes on. but if for some reason It just dont do it for some folks, well thats thier right. but i bet if you replace the oem air element (the paper one) With a high flow uni or simular ,Install a works header & tunable exhaust, getting more air flow, Remap it, for starters , this alone will show up on dyno charts as a huge gain. if not fire your mechanic, throw away your crapy dyno, because its only common sense. the bike sold here n the USA. are down tuned. california emmission approved. But what do i know , ive only been riding for a little over 40 yrs ,& i have alot to learn about the super t. Wasp works can give you much more info with hands on than i can.& hell i usually just read posts ,bcause ,if & when i post i seem to piss off people, no i dont know it all ,& sorry if i sound as if i do , but im learning (not to post) cant spell worth a crap anyway & never take time to use spell check,or proof read what i post. in closing i just hope all my fellow adv riders, disagreeing or not, Have a safe happy ride on what ever bike they are on. may God keep all of you guys & gals safe, so you can ride many more great machines coming in the future -unless the dec.21 2012 is the end. if that comes to pass well we at least agree to disagree.
  19. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:
    Why would you like more top end?

Where it matters it defaces any bike with its 3,12 sec 0-60, with opening it up you alwys loose a little grunt down low, or you need tpo construct an Exup kind of device...
  20. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    +1 on that.

This Rema/R3B bashing thing is getting realy boring. Whatever you think of him he has a great deal of experience in motorcycling, albeit he puts it across a bit heavy but if anyone has a problem with it, what is wrong with telling him via PM.

As for the performance thing. I think my S10 is about as powerful as my 09 GSA. Its just that the GSA felt quicker (yes ther IS a power dip that makes the GSA seem more grunty and wheelie easier as a result) and the S10 takes a bit more work to make it go. However, I will never (OK, seldom) use either bike to its full potential for lots of reasons that apply to the GSA as well.
    1) They both scare the shit out of me in the lower gears, especially off road. (Althouth the S10 is a better nanny on shitty roads)
    2) The cost of fuel in Europe is just highway robbery.
    3) I want to keep my bike for a long time having paid about 50% more for it than our American friends.
    4) All big bikes eat tyres when you drive them hard - again they are expensive in Europe.

The funny thing about both bikes is that you have to press a button to make the BMW stop well and one to make the S10 go faster!