SUPER TENERE 1200: Are they built and ready to be shipped to the US?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ~TABASCO~, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Rema in Paluda

Rema in Paluda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, has nothing to do with power, but all with phisics, as stated earlier the GS has a very High COG and a very short driveshaft, the angle between road and the line rear contact patch to cog decides if a bik is easy to wheelie, but *any* bike can wheely if the rider has some prowess and knowledge how to do, but the S10 is (sorry for another positive remark) made to not wheely, but to have maximum traction.

A wheely ruins your traction, you have to let go to prevent a backflip, thats why a single is so bloody hard to get up a hill climb.
    [​IMG]

Because cog is depeded on the rider too, the lighter the bike the higher compound COG will be, set a grown man on a Pitbike to see it ad extrema...
    <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GjNzHpvXD2s?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GjNzHpvXD2s?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Problem is though, for getting the bike to stop by pushing a button, youll have to stop first, while the button on the S10 can be activated on the run, just pull the clutch and change the behavior, if you need the agressive power on tap in a jiffy :-)
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teneres won't wheelie anyway. Too heavy.

[​IMG]

Nevermind.:shog

:D
  3. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    DIRTYnDUSTY
    [/QUOTE]The Race This weekend @ 10 pm on speed live. is a hybrid track designed by Mcgrath & Ricky carmichael, I have seen the lay out design. looks interesting ..... the bike sold here n the USA. are down tuned. california emmission approved......God keep all of you guys & gals safe, so you can ride many more great machines coming in the future -unless the dec.21 2012 is the end. if that comes to pass well we at least agree to disagree.[/QUOTE]

You summed it up nicely, MotoGP, MX, and the state of tune of the S10 for USA sales. Lets all relax now and watch the bikes that ARE tuned for max speed in the dirt, Sat at 10PM on Speed.
    Did you buy your Tenere at Romney? I was thinking of shopping there.
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just for the record, I hate padrosa and have since 06 when he took out Hayden with a risky pass and no hope for the championship. Nearly cost Hayden the Championship too. No padrosa is no sportsman. I'd rather see Stoner win.
  5. DirtynDusty

DirtynDusty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Race This weekend @ 10 pm on speed live. is a hybrid track designed by Mcgrath & Ricky carmichael, I have seen the lay out design. looks interesting ..... the bike sold here n the USA. are down tuned. california emmission approved......God keep all of you guys & gals safe, so you can ride many more great machines coming in the future -unless the dec.21 2012 is the end. if that comes to pass well we at least agree to disagree.[/QUOTE]

You summed it up nicely, MotoGP, MX, and the state of tune of the S10 for USA sales. Lets all relax now and watch the bikes that ARE tuned for max speed in the dirt, Sat at 10PM on Speed.
    Did you buy your Tenere at Romney? I was thinking of shopping there.[/QUOTE] I bought mine from Bubs cycle in Beckly Wv. Buster Jones owner. for 12,399. + sales tax 6 % & the title & tag document fee.set by the state of WV.to make it road leagal & registered with state. I was the only Super t he sold or ordered. I believe Romney dealer is a good dealership from what i have heard. They had several orders P.D P & now new ones on the way or maybe there,im not for sure. but I have heard good reports from that dealership as well.They were some of the first dealerships to recieve the first early orders (pdp)s of super t's or S 10 as some call them . I just like the sound of Super T over S 10. S 10 sounds like my ol chevy truck. They are vin model labeled as(2012 yamaha xtz12BL -Super Tenere) & some as like mine is(2012 yam xtz12BB MC) depending on color.& my owners manual book on front page lists bike as Super tenere XTZ12B(C) I have the raven (black). I also recieved a $ 200.00 cash back coupon for buying a new yamaha bike. so i have bought mine for 12,199.00 after coupon & b 4 tax & title & tag. That will give you a good price to negotiate from. ask for a coupon if you do decide to buy one . The coupon may no longer b available ,but mine read good untill dec 31 2011 hope this helps. if any other ? ill try to answer objectively neutral if possible. It is hard not to become biased once you speed that big wad of $ .:deal:lol3
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    .[/QUOTE] I bought mine from Bubs cycle in Beckly Wv. Buster Jones owner. for 12,399. + sales tax 6 % & the title & tag document fee.set by the state of WV.to make it road leagal & registered with state. I was the only Super t he sold or ordered. I believe Romney dealer is a good dealership from what i have heard. They had several orders P.D P & now new ones on the way or maybe there,im not for sure. but I have heard good reports from that dealership as well.They were some of the first dealerships to recieve the first early orders (pdp)s of super t's or S 10 as some call them . I just like the sound of Super T over S 10. S 10 sounds like my ol chevy truck. They are vin model labeled as(2012 yamaha xtz12BL -Super Tenere) & some as like mine is(2012 yam xtz12BB MC) depending on color.& my owners manual book on front page lists bike as Super tenere XTZ12B(C) I have the raven (black). I also recieved a $ 200.00 cash back coupon for buying a new yamaha bike. so i have bought mine for 12,199.00 after coupon & b 4 tax & title & tag. That will give you a good price to negotiate from. ask for a coupon if you do decide to buy one . The coupon may no longer b available ,but mine read good untill dec 31 2011 hope this helps. if any other ? ill try to answer objectively neutral if possible. It is hard not to become biased once you speed that big wad of $ .:deal:lol3[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answer. Anyone else have words for Romney Cycles?
  7. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ordered one of the new White ones with the race tune! :D
  8. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    I know all about that already, having had the bike the same time as you. I totally agree about the physics but...

Re the power..... you are wrong, whether you like it or not. :hide (This is gonna hurt !!! ,,, I can feel it in my water)
    It does have something to do with power. if an engine drops its power mid range and them comes back in at a rush it is the same as inducing a wheelie by momentarily cutting the throttle.
    When the power is cut/reduced, the front suspension loads past neutral to a compression state and then tries to recover. This assists the new rush of power by pushing the front of the bike up and assists a wheelie.

BTW...this is what I said "yes there IS a power dip that makes the GSA seem more grunty and wheelie easier as a result".
    Ernst, this is my opinion and I am entitled to it. And please note the the use of the word SEEM.
  10. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oooh, wow, yeah! I wanna white one with red checked stripes. :D
  11. DirtynDusty

Oddometer:
    Ihave only seen pics of the white 1. It looked great. I have the raven(black) . It was that or blue the only choices @ the time.I have way too many blue bikes & atv s. when you do get you 1. change that oil & filter quickly just after few miles 15- 20 mi. or so then follow the books oil change guide.
  12. DirtynDusty

Oddometer:
    educate me some please!. I guess i have been riding ,& not reading. Race Tune. Is that a dif. exhaust,ect. & what else ?
  13. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:
    Precisely, the S10 has to *Much* power to wheelie, it needs a serious *flaw* in its Torque curve (which it hasn't) to wheelie as easily as a GS with its massive dip at 4200 and again at 5000 rpm.

[​IMG]

As stated earlier, if anyone wants it behaving as badly as a GS just drill a big hole in its header or something, you'll have de headache inducing belter of the GSses sound-valve as a bonus :-)
  14. DirtynDusty

Oddometer:
    I'm not getting into this debate/ discussion. I will only say ,the power delivery(powerband) Is so very smooth,I'm talking n reguards of not yanking my wifes head around,bysmooth power delivery & yrs of practice of feathering the clutch & smooth shifting & engin breaking . I am well pleased with my Super T. for what( we & I) do .so far no complaints just the oem wind screen too short,& there are great choices out there for that fix.I appreciate the graph & all inputs .I know we all will never agree on all details,but everyones input if you keep an open mind ,will only help benifit the collective. Each bike debated or dragged thru the (web-mud,) has its strong points & weakness, but i am so glad thier is diff. bikes out there .it would be a boring hobbie if only 1 machine existed.I do apologize for calling our beloved machines a hobbie , for as some as i ,love & live to ride. My S10(super t ) as i like to call it is not the fastest or the best, or so special anyother bike is just rubbish.n fact i thank all of the other manufactors of this class of bike for making such great machines, that it was possible for this machine (super T) To be designed , & modified ,brought to the Us. & sold.for competition drives the market & technology uping the other guys brand gives way to new innovations passed down thur racing ,& other demands of buyers. Now that i have 1,I will not be egotistic & say mine is best.the competion of other manufactors is why the super t is as good as it is. I look forward to the other manufactors uping the bar the tenere has set n some catagories,as that was the fuel that fired the design of the yamaha super tenere. All of these machines are so good ,especially when we go back a couple of yrs (10-or so)to the older bikes,that back then we though were so great n thier time,we said this one is the better than that one.,Again thanx for everones different opinion,& im so glad we have diversity.& im so glad to ride my bike with the other brands. Safe riding ,clean air n your face , & many happy miles for us all. I do have a ? or 2 .I am still in limbo about which options like skid plate/ & other farkles, & a ? i have a garmin 76s but would like some advise on a good gps with easyist most user friendly,& the best skid plate for max protection .thank you n advance.
  15. Old Git Ray

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough (and unbelievably) there is no arguement. Rema and I agree (if you follow our recent posts) it's just that he cannot see it. Anyway, as you say the flat power curve makes 2 up riding very smoth and I, like you spend most of my time 2 up.
    Still as long as we are all riding safe, little else realy matters.
  16. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:
    I'm not arguing, i'm just explaining what the defining diferences are, there are people who like to know how things work, and do their own wheelying instead of letting the bike decide it, i've been battling my wheelying lkittle rascals, i'm just very happy, the S10 doesn't have wheely dips built in, and has this really long shaft (wink wink say no more...) :jack
  17. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not as technical as you two are, but I still cannot figure this out.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I like the fact that I can gun my S10 to the metal and it just sprints, no wheelies. The bike bursts, the machine moves, no loss of control. <o:p></o:p>
    I thought that it was due to the traction control system. If I overpower the bike the traction control keeps the back wheel from spinning (keeps the bike from a tire burnout, or free spinning) I thought that the same system would keep the back wheel from raising my front wheel under power. Would it not adjust the amount of torque on the back wheel in order not to raise the front wheel?<o:p></o:p>
    Help a n00b out. :freaky<o:p></o:p>
  18. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some traction control systems (e.g., the S1000RR's) do have a wheelie control function that notes relative wheel speeds between front and rear and reduces power when a wheelie is detected. I've don't believe the S10 has such a system. People who wheelie the S10 haven't reported having to turn TCS off to get it to wheelie.

For the most part, the reason the S10 doesn't tend to spin the rear tire or wheelie under throttle is simply that it makes modest power and has a very flat torque curve without spikes that overwhelm available traction. The traction control system typically only gets involved on dirt, wet pavement, contaminated pavement, etc.

- Mark
  19. Old Git Ray

Oddometer:
    OK, you are correct. The whole idea of traction control is to keep the bike under control. Strictly speaking, when one wheel is in the air, it is not under control as it is designed to have 2 wheels on the floor.
    Of couse sometimes a wheelie is desireable, i.e for fun or getting the front wheel over an obstacle like a tree or ditch.
    Depending upon the amount of traction available the bike will do different things. For example, most of the time I have TCK80 semi off road tyres on, and on tarmac the S10 would rather spin the back wheel rather than lift the front. When I put the stock tyres on the extra grip allows the wheel to lift.

As has been said one of the ways (there may be more on the Yam, I do not know) the TCS works is by measuring the difference between the individual wheel speeds. It cannot do this with accuracy as there has to be an allowance for the fact that when cornering the front wheel turns slightly faster than the front (it takes a slightly longer/wider route than the rear) and this needs to be accounted for.

In TCS1 the margin is as tight as possible to keep you out of trouble. If I pull away as fast as possible with road tyres on, I find that the bike induces 4 very small wheelies, (hopping probably only 5 -8cm off the ground) before running out of breath. It kind of hops down the road while the bike is trying to temper my enthusiasm. In doing so it accelerates very fast as once the wheel is in the air the acceleration slows down. (This is probaly why the Yam out accelerates the BMW whose TCS allows a big wheelie before waking up).

In TCS2 this margin is slightly greater and off road (and on road if grip is low) will allow a measured amount of drift that makes the rider look like a riding God. It will also allow a bigger wheelie but will eventually cut the power and put the bike back down. The drift is like this, full power - no fall off ! : (not a good photo/example but its all I have.)
    [​IMG]

With TCS Off, its all up to you, if you have grip it will wheelie and may flip over if you are daft enough to keep the throttle wide open. Off road, unless you are in a straight line it will spit you off if you keep the throttle open.

The Yam difers from many bikes in certain respects, as has been said it has a long swing arm and a low Centre of Gravity. These two factors make it a bit more like a drag bike. If you think about it, the further back the rear wheel contact patch is in relation to the rest of the bike, the harder it will be for the bike to lift the front. On top of this the low CofG does the same. It is the centre of mass holding the bike back (from accelerating) and the rear contact patch pushing it forward. If these two points are far apart vertically the bike will rotate (wheelie) easier. On the Yam the CofG is low and therfore inhibits wheelies to some extent.

The Yam is a trade off in many ways, the low CofG makes the heavy bike feel a lot lighter but stops the wheelie fun. I my opinion it makes the bike more of an adventure bike as it will keep you safer for longer.

I hope this helps...Ray
  20. DirtynDusty

Oddometer:
    beautiful area there Ray. Who took the pic? I will only add one thing,/ If it would have been me ,while trying to demonstrate (everyone watching)the pic would of been of me slid out, with sand up the crack,down my back,& bars bent ,knobbie tire marks across my torn riding gear. well done mate.:lol3 When in doubt GAS IT
    It