SUPER TENERE 1200: Are they built and ready to be shipped to the US?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ~TABASCO~, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Rema in Paluda

Rema in Paluda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only if you disable the TCS, as long as you keep it in 2 and take a not to cramped corner, the TCS will provide enormous safety, and spray fun.

If you are taking a very short corner like a hairpin on knobbies, it can easely be overstressed, the turnin time being shorter than teh processing time :)
  2. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time Ray, that pretty much sums it all up. I figured the TCS was doing its job. I have never ridden a bike that can be accelerated like a car but without burning out the tires. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I can accelerate the crap out the S10 and it just takes off. The front wheel maybe lifts one inch but I never feel it, the bike just moves.<o:p></o:p>
    The other day I was riding my XT250. I filtered through at a red light coming up first in line. When the light turned green my brain was on the S10 and I gunned the 250cc. I must have pulled off a 1/2km wheelie for fk sake! <o:p></o:p>
    I don't think I will ever be comfortable on another bike anymore, the Super Tenere has spoiled me for life!<o:p></o:p>
  3. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    Like this you mean.....30 seconds later

[​IMG]

Karen (SWMBO) took the pics and laughed her socks off at this.
  4. DirtynDusty

DirtynDusty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was at a privatet motocrooss track a few yrs ago,(the kind thats changed up regulary)of a fellow racer, i had gotten there early,had had a few laps in on my yz250 pracitce bike..I had been doing a technical down hill doublejump all day no prob. (there alone) a jump that your landing from a big triple step up ,n to a fast off camber hard right hand with a no run staight down a super steep double the kind where the mountain just falls fast away once u leave the ground. (the dang kind with a large high lip landing.) I was resting as loads of people came & unloaded they started riding & after several laps i noticed they were stoped @ this scary double with doubts of trying it .they were Discussing it right on the track n the main line.( I RODE OVER SAID IF U WILL GET OUT OF THE WAY ILL SHOW U , ITS EASY) with everone watching after the big triple step up ,with all the weight on outside peg n the off camber hamming hard i lost traction rear wheel I cased the landing on the mountains downhill landing area EJECTING ME UP & OVER BARS ,it seemed n slow motion at the time untill i hit the ground & the bike rolled over me,making sure that the first imapct with groung had not failed to knock all the air out of me ,IT HAMMERD ME LEAVING KNOBBIE PRINTS UP MY BACK TROUGH MY TORN MOTO GEAR. thats why i said if it would have been me , i do good until i say those majical words of confidence, EASY ,OR WATCH ILL SHOW YOU. (grab the camera ).I was black & blue for a week or 2 ,but was lucky.The funny part (for the guys i said here ill show u get out of the way & easy,& the rest of the folks around , was they ran over to me ,not asking if i was allright ,(but) Said[ Hey ,i don't think i quiet got it ,:huh just yet.! Can u do that again]:lol3 true story, many a witnesss........ ON ANOTHER NOTE. I RODE TODAY!!! had a blast , got suprised, but thats another story:deal.
  5. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the original post was a joke, referring to the early ad pictures which showed a white w/ red stripes Tenere ala Yamaha racing colors of old. Don't think it's available in race tune either, unless your name is Jonah Street or Mark Coma. Yeah I know, Coma races KTM.
  6. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    pic of white

Attached Files:

7. hayfarmer

hayfarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great story DirtynDusty. Thats just typical isnt it.:rofl

Brian
  8. DirtynDusty

DirtynDusty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my S10,naked ,no farkles.I have been riding 80% paved, Rest dirt & gravel ,nothing to narley,My plan is this winter dressing it up.so (1) I have heard the stock skid plate not that great. But some say its fine. I would love some input ,or guidance & opinions on some farkles, (2)especially a good back box /back rest ,with attention tward the passanger comfort (wife wants good back rest) I seen a givi black red reflector,& a paded front area for the back rest. My concernes was it is a bit short ,not tall for a good back rest. (3) i'm scared of the big jesseup boxs for the sides they look too low, im dragging foot pegs on the pavement when 1 up n twistys now , will they drag ?,or should i just go soft bags ? or O.E M. with inner bags.?(I need to slow down bad habbits gonna get me ) If u suggest soft bags for sides which best waterrepelling (i wont say water proof) ?(4)Im prety set on a tire choice,but still open to suggestions>.I will prob be doing much more offroading next spring.& this winter P.R N with a more agressive tire.for offroad.(5) engin guard/body guard combo .?I think O.E. M..I seen someone with added tank / body bars Protector added to the oem guard.not for sure where to get the add on to the stock bar. (not interested in the safari bars they look monsterous,but i feel its over kill .(untill a crash huh?) (6) (best grip heaters) was going with oem but was told better ones avalible??(7) lastly not a bike acc. ? but A good gps, I have a garmin 76s ,looking for user frindly G.P S & what else do i need to add,( I know a tank bag ),gas tank paint protectors i seen the guys poly film for tank fork tubes ect. but i mean hard parts , what about a rear skid plate for swing arm ect. to complete lower protestion.which is really my main concern (protection). (Well thanx in advance , I know diff stroke 4 diff folks, but i'm turning to the collective. I been waiting & giving more time for aftermarket products to surface here in the states. trying to stay away from over seas shipping. Congrats to Ryan Villopodo winning all 3 races @ the monster energy cup race sat night. purse 1 million bucks he took home for winning the 3 race format. well im running late now out the door for another long day , ill check back n this afternoon late. any & all opionions appriciated, :ear
  9. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    Shall I make a start.

The Yamaha bash plate is a liability. It has a fundamental design flaw in that if it takes a hit on the front, the rear fixing rips a hole on the sump. All the others address this problem and seem adequate. I have an SW-Motech one that has taken some real punishment and has saved my bike a lot.

I have a Givi 52 litre box on my bike. It takes 2 helmets but does not look good. It is just a bit too big when using the Yamaha boxes but the plastic bends suffiently to get them open if need be.

PS Polite request, could you press the enter key after the end of your sentences. Your posts are very hard to read.

Ray
  10. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I can't help on the backrest question, but I have been running Touratechs panniers on my Buell Uly and though they are tough, hold alot and are water proof until you go down on one, they drag. My pegs hit right before the bags. Going to try the Happy-Trail bags on my Tiger 955i I am riding to Alaska. Now both Touratech and Happy-Trail offer an unmounted option allowing you to decide where to put the pannier mounting parts to adjust how high the bags are on the bike. I am going to mount so the tops are almost level with the seat. My loves the Uly backrest and it is sorta high to give you an idea what might be good for your wife. If I can ever sell the Uly I am going to replace it with the super 10.
  11. advD

advD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DirtynDusty,

Wow, not only did Villopodo win, but he did it with authority! I didn't know Kawasaki knew how to make bikes that work that well.... absolutely not taking anything away from Ryan's riding ability. I guess he's on his real honeymoon now.

I'll be interested to see what "farkles" you come up with. Please post in the photos section when you get it sorted out this winter.

I have been on the fence considering an S10 or a GS and thanks to Old Git Ray and other fine members of this forum, I've been able make my decision to go with the S10. I've got my wife on board, and am working on getting finances in order. Sometime in the next couple of months, I'll have my ride and will also begin setting it up.
  12. vnp514

vnp514 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to look at or join this forum-

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum

Great group of folks over there and some good info on the ST.

Pete
  13. NorthernStar

NorthernStar Hardly Working in Progress

Oddometer:
    Fairbanks AK but Warming up in Cheyenne WY

DirtynDusty - sent you a PM on a skid plate and double thumbs up on http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum
    Bunch of really great guys hang out there as well.
    Frank
  14. Rema in Paluda

Rema in Paluda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard parts are not needed, its a yamaha not a beemer, it will only scratch a little, if you plan to do narley stuff, the best update you could do is a strut over the fanmotor, Franceso had the fanmotor suspenders bent into the radiator hitting the shroud wit his kee in a fall, thats the only thing Yamaha should realy look into, if you fall on a flat surface, nothing happens as Edog showed, but if you push your knee in it or hit a boulder, the fanmotor is bent in a little, stopping the fanblades rotating...

The standard Bashplate is rubbish, especially the 3 point mounting giving all load on the back mount located in the sump...
    The H&B is by far the best thought out part, not only *long* so the cat is covered, but also wide enough to give cover to the waterpump.

Chose teh Givi trekkers because they are sideloaders, so better packable,and lastly saw Italian boxes that would be something for you, all other boxes stand out way to much for Offroading (the Givi's wont stand a chance either, any plastic box will break at those kinds of impacts, so the softbags are a good choice.
  15. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    heads up-- there is a new one on Fleabay. Moline, Illinois
  16. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re: Side-bags. I'm a big believer in Givi. They're much more rugged than they look and as water resistant as you can get outside of a boat bag. When I bought my first set in '95 another biker over heard me say how flimsy they look, and he said they'd take a lot of punishment without breaking. Well, I'm still using one that I dropped my Harley on 15 years ago at 65 mph. It didn't break and it still doesn't leak. What it did do was protect the bike. Hard bags have no give, no shock absorption and will transmit the force, braking the bag mounts, subframe, or the bag itself. I've seen this happen over and over on a South American trip. Wife and I have 7 or 8 bags between us, and they're all interchangeable, work as top or side bags. That's my 2 cents.
    PS: Yeah! I'm with you on Villapoto. Saw him this year in NY and PA. Never forget seeing him years ago at the Moto X De Nations at Budd's Creek too. He beat everybody, while riding a 250.
  17. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On an S10?...not saying it's impossible, but breaking the subframe would be quite the feat. :1drinkThis is not the 'coolaid' perspective speaking either..that subframe is one beefy, tough sumbeeyotch!..though I'm sure it plays a part in the 575lb heft. Bagmounts?.. much more plausible.
  18. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subframes seldom break, but they quite often bend. Whether the S10 subframe would bend in a typical lowside, I don't know, but I do think hard bags will make it more likely.

- Mark
  19. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    If I drop my S10 at 65mph my worries would be on more than just the subframe of my bike. I would worry more about my body's subframe :lol3
  20. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, I slid forever, then stood up without a scratch. Had lots of gear on since weather was bad. Young guy jumps out of a car, runs up screaming, "I'm a doctor! I'm a doctor!" Runs over to the bike first, looks down and says "Bike's OK!" :rofl