Super Tenere 1200 farkle fest

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Super08

Super08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is where the tool box opens. There is plenty of room to get my air compressor in and out as well as the other stuff I keep in there. The second pic shows the compressor in its storage bag inside the tool box. IMG_2838.JPG IMG_2839.JPG
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love that blue. Do you have a link to that toolbox?
  3. Super08

Super08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just Google "givi tool box S 250 S250kit" and buy it where you want. S250 it the tool box and S250kit is the universal mounting kit. They don't suggest mounting it as I did due to clearance to the top of the brake caliper. I moved the box up 1" to get the required clearance when the suspension is fully compressed. At first I just moved the mount up 1" as it was super easy to do. Problem was then the pannier would not go on. The mount must go on as supplied. So I moved the box up 1" on the mount which took a little more thinking and work. Luckily my other hobby is RC planes so I had plenty of hardware to make it happen. IMG_2828.JPG IMG_2829.JPG IMG_2831.JPG IMG_2835.JPG
    WRC51, clawdog60 and twinrider like this.
  4. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So dealerships can get these kits? Pretty cool!
  5. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    stuff with SS wool
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure, I ordered mine online as they're not available from dealers in Japan.
    clawdog60 likes this.
  7. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    Will check my local dealer.
  8. twinrider

Oddometer:
    My bike came with the OEM panniers, which were pretty nice top loaders but they had a couple issues: The main problem was they didn't open with my bigger Givi top box installed or with my seat bag or duffel bag on the passenger seat. More minor issue was they were pristine and looked like they'll damage pretty easily in a drop with their 3-point mount and aluminum siding. So I grabbed the Givi PL2119 side racks off Amazon for $90 and decided to use the Givi cases that I've owned for about a decade now instead of selling them. If I damage them, won't shed a tear.

The Givi B36Ns are very similar to the same size Pelicans, holding 36 liters apiece but keep a slim profile at 88cm wide (same as the OEM panniers). I use them when I need more capacity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The E21s are top loading and light, so they're really convenient when I don't need big capacity. Just under 88cm wide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Vrode and GeoAggie like this.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s a massive top case. The e21s look so dinky compared to it!
  10. twinrider

Oddometer:
    It's an E45, not as big as they come these days (V56, OT58). Bought it in 1995 and it just keeps going. Basically fits my helmet and gym stuff on my commute.
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Just installed Arrow headers with the stock muffler. Nice bump in power and feels smoother as well. Probably my imagination but the suspension felt a little springier although the header weight difference is only about 1.4 kg.

3602F1C5-9BCD-49F2-A6EB-BC833C7B2884.jpeg

D9A5C17E-8409-467F-9E85-8F0E472F8924.jpeg
    EVLED and richarddacat like this.
  12. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @twinrider Decided to keep it on?

I was kinda curious how the tuning would be without a cat, any reprograming or issues?
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yup, glad I decided to keep them.

My ECU was already flashed and the 02 sensors removed. The tuner who developed the flash said the Arrow headers wouldn't require any changes. I'm not getting any pinging or backfiring on deceleration so it seems that he's correct.
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Added the T-Rex axle sliders. Fit and finish are very nice, hopefully I’ll never test them.

84E1400C-C4A7-40D1-B769-5CD694814581.jpeg
    MaiSuper10 likes this.
  15. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yummy, pretty tasty if you ask me:
    eat crow.jpg

Read my Ride report here:

Short day ride report!! Home safe and sound!!

UPDATE on aftermarket shifter and pegs. SHIFTER OVERPRICED PIECE OF CRAP!! Foot pegs too strong for the frame and get in the way for foot dabbing. AltRider bars and skidplate FANTASTIC!!

After 2 small tip overs the shifter is destroyed and the pegs bend the mounting tabs on the frame.

I just finished up spending almost 4 hours removing, repairing and replacing parts. Just a simple tip over on these huge adventure bikes are no joke!! This reminded me of what I went through when racing desert many years ago!!

I'm posting this in hopes to help someone whom might want to think twice before going with aftermarket "comfort items". I installed all this stuff with just 19 miles on the bike (I'm now at just over 3200 miles). My reasoning was after sitting on a few bikes with these pegs they felt good. The shifter was nothing more than expensive bling. I figured I could adjust it to my boot size and the spinning/folding shifter tip was pretty darn cool.

To start with I had to use a hacksaw to cut off the bent footpeg pin. After that I ended up installing all my brand new OEM "take off" pegs and shifter. WOW WOW WOW!! What a difference!! Yamaha did it right!! All that money spent on fancy pegs and shifter was pretty much a waste of money. The OEM pegs while not as big, are much more comfortable and the shifter is precise and sized perfect for my boot. As an added bonus I can now get my kickstand down and plant a foot on the ground without getting hung up on those huge pegs. The way Yamaha designed these parts is very clever. The shifter is designed to bend so it can be bent back in a mishap. The pegs are aluminum so the pin will bend first then the peg will break. This saves the bike from expensive frame damage. And hopefully prevent me fabricating and welding on new footpeg tabs. I plan on buying another OEM shifter and keep it in my tool pack for a spare. I already have spare footpeg pins. I doubt if I will modify the shifter with a folding tip.

The not so fancy OEM parts have a much better feel to them. The modified 250.00 BMW Saurkraut shifter is a piece of junk. Very sloppy fit. The Delrin bushing is already worn out at 3000 miles. I'm not so pissed off it bent and was damaged as much as I am of the poor quality and wear after only a few thousand miles. It was literally like night and day difference between the Wundercrap and OEM Yamaha shifter. The stock one fits on the "bolt shaft" with almost zero play. The 200.00 USA made IMS pegs are so strong that you can do frame damage. I was lucky to be able to bend back the peg mounting tabs without breaking them off the frame. And the IMS pegs also hit the frame when folded. I had to cut through the spring and some of the peg just to get the pin off. Another thing I noticed is since they are platform style you have to almost lift your foot off the peg to shift or brake. I did not notice this until I rode with the stock pegs. With the Yamaha pegs it's a more natural transition to the brakes and shifter. I'm sure it will be more of a challenge when standing. But in reality I'll be planted in the saddle 90% of the time. The stock pegs being narrower force you get your feet in tight like a dirt bike when standing.

I'm guilty as charged for raving how good these parts were when I first got them. Off highway tip overs on a 600+ lb bike is the true test of how parts really perform. And after logging some miles on the bike the parts are not a good choice at all!! Also worth noting is the OEM pegs are only 3o bucks each to replace. And OEM shifter is around 80.00.

Shifter wadded up like a pretzel and cracked when I tried to bend it back.
    IMG-0199.JPG IMG-0200.JPG

Back to the not so fancy OEM shifter and foot pegs:
    IMG-0205.JPG

AltRider skidplate and crash bars were nothing short of amazing!! Skid plate hammered out with no drama. Crash bar was not even worth taking a picture. Small scratch on the lower bar and dirt packed into the upper bar button head bracket bolt. BTW, having the upper crash bars are a must. The way it was dropped (slight off camber) my radiator would have been bent without the protection.

IMG-0206.JPG IMG-0207.JPG
    twinrider likes this.
  16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the followup, Chris. I actually dropped my last S10 at about 2 mph and the right peg snapped off. Like you said, far better than the frame tab breaking, and it was cheap to replace at about $22. On a long trip, could just carry a spare.
    ballisticexchris likes this.
  17. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know I'm late, as this bike has now shuffled off this mortal coil, but it was a farkle bomb by any reasonable definition, so here it is. Of note is the Rostra cruise control, 12VDC to the trunk where my radar detector lived along with an AmpliRider multi-channel earphone mixer/amp, and the custom auxiliary fuel cell beautifully crafted by Ernie Avazedo.

20180524_212948.jpg 20180524_212955.jpg 20180524_213002.jpg 20180524_213009.jpg 20180524_213018.jpg
  18. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOWEE!! That's a serious machine!! BTW, thank you for the link to those metal valve stems on the other forum. I bought some short aluminum ones that I forgot to put on when changing my tires. I can see you have a lot more saddle time on this bike and I respect your advice on those 90 deg stems. Right now the OEM stems with the Garmin TPMS caps are holding up well. I'm going to order those stems you recommend for next tire change.
  19. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya, I loved that bike. I only owned it for a couple years, but put about 40,000 miles on it. Regarding the stems, if you look at the front tire in the head-on pic above, you can see the very stem we discussed poking out, with a Ruspe TPMS cap on it. Glad I could help!
    ballisticexchris likes this.
  20. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best farkle arrived recently: lien free title! Thanks Dave Ramsey #financialpeacelife.
    Bugnatr and ballisticexchris like this.