Super Tenere 900 3cyl?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Kommando, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would the 900 triple be a better motor for a Super Tenere adv tourer? All the reviews seem to rave about the torque and the liveliness of the 900 triple. Would it make a good adv tourer motor?
  2. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it would make a great adv touring bike - but I think that's what the Tracer is.

I'm fine with the Tracer not having any pretense about off-roading, I just wish it were physically larger. I think I'd look like a monkey fucking a football on a Tracer.

...and it's STILL on my short list.
  3. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    The 900 triple has the same Achilles heel as the 700 twin... it's too tall and as a result the whole chassis will be 4" higher than necessary to achieve any semblance of ground clearance.
    neanderthal likes this.
  4. Pablogordo

Pablogordo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course it would!
  5. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Valid consideration.

In your opinion, is the T700 too tall for the clearance that it has? In other words, is this a concern that can be feasably worked around, like tilting the motor, using a remote oil filter, moving the airbox/fueltank, or using the frame as an oil sump?
  6. Pablogordo

Pablogordo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both the Yamaha 900 & 700 powerplants are no physically larger than an africa twin powerplant, no need to fantasize about tilting the engine or whatever towards lowering the center of gravity.... neither the tenere 700, the tracer 900, the CRF1000 will ever have pure offroad ground clearance of say a DRZ400 or any of the 5XX and smaller KTM's.... NOR WILL THEY EVER BE AS LIGHTWEIGHT!
  7. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Easy enough for keyboard construction but for a Yamaha engineer... apparently unpossible. My thinking was dry sump the engine with a re-routed exhaust and lower the engine in the current T7 frame.
    lithodave and colddog like this.
  8. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    An engine can also possibly be stroked for more torque, or the intake/exhaust can be tuned.
  9. colddog

colddog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have been waiting for the 900 triple in an adventure type chassis since the FZ-09 came out. I like the triples in both bikes and sleds. Mainly because of the pure sex sound of the engine either torquing out of a corner, or with its neck being wrung on an open mountainside climb. In sled world weight is a problem, but in bike world it can be managed easier.
  10. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm obviously a fan of this engine having had the Tracer 9 and now the XSR, but i wouldn't buy an adventure bike with this engine. Twins are far more suited to an adventure bike, this Yam triple is more suited to naked street bikes and sports tourers.
    MCGMB and djfoell like this.
  11. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    Just my opinion, ,
    Yes, Yes, Please yes!
    Have you ever ridden the Triumph Xt's? The triple in those bikes are Brilliant. Yamaha could have a winner,, IF they could have it on dealer floors (see T7 farce) before Hell froze over... just saying.
    Another pie in the sky pipe dream.

Ride safe everyone, , G.
  12. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    How does the Nikken do offroad? Geometrically it's 3/4ths of an ATV so I mean :dunno

:fpalm
  13. colddog

colddog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All wheel drive would be interesting!