1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Tenere Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by LarryBud, Aug 28, 2020.

1. LarryBud

LarryBud n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at the two options on the used market. I decided I need cruise control as much of my riding will be pavement tours.

I see some nice looking 2012-13 Gen 1s around for $5500-$6500. Gen 2s are $8.5K and up.

Do I buy a Gen 1 and add an aftermarket cruise for $550? Thoughts?
  2. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you do the install yourself? What about upgrading clutch basket and CCT? At that point, better to just buy a gen 2 IMO. Mine was only $6.5k in nov 2018 so you can find lower than $8.5k.
  3. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing beats a factory cruise control. Plus with the refinements on the Gen 2, making it smoother, it is worth the extra cash.
  4. LarryBud

LarryBud n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like I have more research to do. I don't know about the clutch basket and CCT?
  5. MadMatter

MadMatter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The CCT on the Gen1 has a couple of documented failures. A small number to be sure, but it's well-known. The CCT was updated in the Gen2, and the Gen2 part can be fit to a Gen1 (or you can install a manual tensioner, if you prefer).

The clutch basket it not a point of failure, but rather just a NVH issue. Some people don't find fault with it, others swap to the Gen2 assembly.
  6. LarryBud

LarryBud n00b

Oddometer:

Thanks you much
  7. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    I have a first generation with aftermarket cruise. I don't ride roads very much that you would use cruise control on but it seems to work well. Ever since the recall on the bike was done I have been very happy with it. I have never been around a second generation.
  8. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having had both
    Gen 2 all day long well worth the extra
  9. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    I have also owned both versions. A 2013 Gen 1 (totaled) and a 2015 Gen 2. I liked both but the updates go further than just the cruise control...the ones I remember,
    1. cruise control
    2. revised handle bar ergonomics, closer to rider with Gen 2, and now rubber dampened mounts
    3. revised engine tuning, smoother and quicker
    4. revised piston ring tension and valve spring tension (new bike gets better mpg and burns zero oil)
    5. upgraded CCT. My Gen 1 tensioner was getting noisy at about 35,000 miles and was due to be replaced
    6. upgraded clutch basket. The Gen 2 clutch is smoother
    7. LED turn signals
    8. aluminum kickstand now instead of steel
    9. all digital instrumentation on the newer bikes. The trip meter on Gen 2 bikes is more comprehensive and you can set up the dash to read the data you want.
    10. the Gen 2 bikes are available with electronic suspension and heated grips standard. If you get a standard model Gen 2 bike, the hot grips are plug and play and the dash is set up to give you power settings when they are turned on.
    11. Adjustable windshield, and it is wider and taller than Gen 1
    12. Different rear view mirrors.
    rauchman likes this.
  10. De-Silva

De-Silva Been around a while....

Oddometer:
    That is an excellent summary of the updates. Gen 2 all the way, it is a no brainer. I'm running a 2014 non-es with 35K miles and it has never skipped a beat!!
  11. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    I bought a 13 new. Never had a problem with it. Its been totally reliable. My aftermarket heated grips were inexpensive and easy to install. I don't need cruise, LED blinkers, different mirrors or an electrically adjustable rear shock. The clutch noise doesn't bother me nor hinder performance. Most everyone I know upgrades/changes the windshield on any year of S10 including me. The only gripes I have are bad stock seat(both Gen 1 & 2) and the handlebar ergos could be a tad better. I've ridden a Gen 2 and for me not enough difference in the actual ride(not upgrade of options) to make a change. Just my opinion.
  12. LarryBud

LarryBud n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies Folks. The hunt continues.
  13. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great summary. My 14 non-es has experienced three hiccups. Triple tree top nut came loose on the Denali Hwy(tightened), solenoid hot lead fastener came loose and bike no start(tightened), and I blew out the rear shock twice(second hand Ohlins replacement fixed that). I call that a winner if that is all the problems I have had in 35k miles. Oh, and the rear drive seal started leaking, so I cleaned it and all is well.
  14. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't bother. Buy a Gen 2. It is a significant improvement.

Yamaha Super Tenere improvements

Cruise Control

Heated Grips

Electronic Suspension

Larger windscreen

Adjustable windscreen

New winglets under windscreen

Revised Instruments that are configurable

Revised handlebar controls

Revised handlebar position

Revised body panel

Revised throttle cable position

Revised sidestand with larger footprint

Revised mirrors

Better power

Improved fuel mileage

Much SMOOTHER engine with less vibration

Revised fueling

Revised touring and sport modes

LED lights

Revised Exhaust

Better Sound

Substantially improved speedometer accuracy (now reads 1mph high versus previous 10% high)

GPS mounting bar
    rauchman likes this.
  15. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:

I've had both. Get the Gen II if you can afford it. Here is a really nice one for sale by a very well known member of the S10 forum. https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?threads/2015-super-tenere-es-northern-virginia.28733/
  16. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Gen 2.

Too many improvements. A steal for the prices I've seen those things go for.

Even if you initially don't think factory cruise control is a big deal (I didn't at first), after trying it you may change your mind (I did). It works perfectly.
  17. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really thought cruise was a gimmicky thing .:loco I find it really convenient now. Good wind management , heated grips, cruise, good ergos and a comfortable seat . All make comfortable miles .Heated grips and cruise are stock on the Gen 2 . The rest is personal . You can add riser, adjustable height footpegs and the windshield that works for your height,helmet and air stream . I have a Gen 2 but wouldn't count out a well priced, low mile Gen 1 if you have to shell out for a seat , winshield and other farkles anyway .
  18. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One more thing on the Gen2... The ES model doesn't only get electric adjustable shock, it got totally new shock and valving, it ride much more smoother thant the non ES version.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  19. Strolling along

Strolling along Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a gen 1 and I don’t feel like I’m missing a damn thing. You can find some amazing deals on the gen 1s. My advise is buy a $4-5 gen 1 and take the rest of the money and that you were gonna spend on a Gen 2 ES and buy another bike. I’ve actually considered buying another gen1 and set it up for maximum off-road and set up my current for a sport touring. But I’m kind of weird do don’t listen to anything I say. Haha
    russell44, Killacurb and Adanac rider like this.
  20. Killacurb

Killacurb Dad

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to agree with Mr Strolling. I’m still on my Gen1 and probably won’t be tempted to upgrade unless a Gen3 comes out with major upgrades, like 140 hp and 40 less pounds :lol3 I’ve got heated grips and a throttle lock, never had cruise so luckily I don’t know what I’m missing! Bottom line, it’s sexy, reliable, and plenty fast for this old guy.