1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Tenere Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by LarryBud, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Steve_h1963

Steve_h1963 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although the gen 2 is a much improved bike and the one I'd go for if buying now. After all these years it owes me nothing and runs fine so I can't justify the expense of changing - I'd have to sell the other two bikes!
    If the CCT starts to rattle I'll upgrade it, cruise control bit of a waste where I live, pity about the rusty spokes and No1 button but I can live with that.
    There is just something about riding a S10 that makes me grin.
  2. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    I would still be riding my Gen 1 if fate did not intervene. My upgrade was mandatory unfortunately.

That said, I would NOT consider a Gen 1 unless it has the new CCT installed AND the upgraded clutch. These are the two big warts.

As for cruise, I use it all the time and on roads most would wonder why. Is it on all the time, no. But do not under-estimate what a minute or two with your right arm free to loosen will do for your comfort.

Summary - would I upgrade to a 2 if I was already owning a 1....doubtful. But, if I was new to the S10 and evaluating my choice, I would need to save at LEAST $2000 to pick up a 1 over a 2. AND, I am not rich.
    twinrider and Adanac rider like this.
  3. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    When we gonna get a Gen III ?!? Not that I don't like my gen II, but c'mon Yamaha.
    lithodave likes this.
  4. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What would be on your Wishlist for a Gen III ?
  5. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. IMU: to provide logic for lean aware ABS and traction control.
    2. Guess thats it other than nice to haves: more HP, quick shifter, ok how about full DCT! 8 gallon tank. Rear brake pad retention tab thats easier to replace pads. The yellow color back! Hydraulic/no valves adjustments.

Just the IMU and BNG would be enough but the yellow would be super.
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  6. Strolling along

Strolling along Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suggest this would be an excellent topic for another thread. And then share it with every part of Yamaha North America that we can
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  7. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    The only thing Yamaha needs to change is a new color scheme. What they are using to paint these bikes looks like primer.
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  8. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like a coloured screen and more fuel capacity , with no weight gain, lets say' " 10 litres".:nod
  9. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have one of the primer looking ones and the paint is very thin. I have a scratch on my tank and it is the thinnist looking paint I've ever seen on a bike. The shiny ones may have thicker paint.
    As far as changes I'd like to see? Hmmm. LED lighting, up to date rider aids with some different ABS functions for off road, a bit lighter and of course a bit more H.P.. Easier access to airbox, sparkplugs and valve inspection would be nice too. How about a knob on the dash to easily adjust headlight aim like I had on my '12 FJR ?
    Mostly though I like the current bike well enough to keep it for a while.