Super Tenere Review, 8 years, 200,000 miles in the making

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by eemsreno, Nov 23, 2019.

1. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    I wanted to make this thread in August when my Tenere hit 200,000 miles then two days later turned eight years old, But it was still riding weather.
    I was one of the "lucky ones" that pre ordered then waited 10 months to get it.
    I actually ordered it for a first time trip to Alaska with my son, but the Tenere came the day after we left home on the trip. It has since taken me to Alaska twice and one of them trips was two up with my wife.
    In the eight years of ownership not once has this bike left me stranded or let me down.
    I'm not saying it has been 100% trouble free. There has been things like a seal on the rear end leaking but that is very easy to fix and cheap. The stator did fail at 175,000 miles [all oil bath stators will fail sooner or later] But it happened close to home. A stick coil gave out all at once [around 204,000] but that happened in the driveway. The ABS pump failed and when I investigated it had been living in a swamp down in it's hole, so that wasn't all it's fault. It's an easy fix to just bypass the pump and have regular brakes. Had to replace fork seals once but that might have been due to not cleaning the Dalton dried on grime off before hitting the road that morning.
    This bike changed my way of riding and why I ride. I have been riding my whole life, I say that I was born on a motorcycle. But this bike is so fun to ride after eight years I just can't wait to get on it and go for a ride.
    When we got this bike I didn't think I would ever really take it off road, It's just to big. Boy was I mistaking about it's capabilities. This thing really is a beast off road, and I mean in an awesome way.
    Like I said , Alaska twice, Grand Canyon a couple times, around the White Rim Trail twice around Lake Superior, trips to Colorado [quite a few], Twisted Sisters, The Dragon, Arkansas many times, Romney WV. a few times, And mostly every chance I get just around Iowa.
    I try to take care of my bike and keep it as clean as easy as possible which means power washing it any time it needs it.
    I have adjusted the valves a couple times and at about 110,000 I put a new cam chain in while adjusting valves. It does take time to adjust valves but they don't need it very often.
    The first time was around 60,000 miles.
    The 12 and 13s had a junk cam chain tensioner in them and wouldn't last more than about 75,000 miles. I put a manual tensioner in mine so there is no chance of failure.
    I haven't held back from riding it hard and as much off road as possible. and it has held up to every challenge I throw at it.
    Here are some of the great memories this bike has made for me.

On the way to Hyder, Alaska on the Kettle Valley rail trail.
    [​IMG]

Riding over Imogene Pass, Colorado
    [​IMG]

Riding as far up the North Canol road as I could.
    [​IMG]

Riding the Blue Loop at Mill Creek Arkansas
    [​IMG]

White Rim Trail
    [​IMG]

Just about stuck in the middle of no where , Baxter Pass
    [​IMG]

Telkwa Pass with friends.
    [​IMG]
    Poison Spring road with friends.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way home from riding the Twisted Sisters
    [​IMG]

I'm really looking forward to the next eight years with my Tenere

Thank's for reading
    Steve
    MeefZah, Manny U, Cantab and 86 others like this.
  2. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Imogene pass 2 up on an ST.. :beer
  3. steelerd

steelerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Truly awesome thanks for posting I've been looking into s10's for a short while now previously had a gsa 1200te,gs800 an a 1000xt VStrom an a slew of classic bikes. The beemer were a reliability nightmare so it's cool to see the big yam doing the job can't argue with that miles an that level of reliability that's for sure looks like it took you to some amazing places here's to your next 8 years of adventure!
    The_Precious_Juice and eemsreno like this.
  4. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they'll update the platform next year, and you can get a new one.
    Moto Jimmy and Don T like this.
  5. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No no no....you broke the rules....fat pigs have no place off pavement on anything but a well maintained forest service road. And, to top it off you had FUN doing it...how dare you!:D

Thanks for sharing and you are right, certain bikes just put a perma-grin on our face. My DL is that way and I always look forward to a ride:
    [​IMG]
  6. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing those memories! I am aspiring to be like you and hold on to bikes for a long time and many many miles.
  7. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    We already have a new one, I only ride it when my wife rides with me. It has 21,000 miles

Comet Montana
    [​IMG]
  8. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!!

Yeah, Yamaha made a great MC!

I've just demo ridden a 2012 and a 2017 model.

I would like to own a 2nd gen one day.

Not just a great MC, but one that eats continents up nice and easy like.
    eemsreno likes this.
  9. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb
    eemsreno likes this.
  10. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very impressive! Thanks for the report.
    eemsreno likes this.
  11. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are your oil change intervals?
  12. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome to see. I unfortunately totaled my 2012 in 2014 with a little over 30k on it, otherwise I'd probably be right there with you. Great bikes and I agree with the off-road capability.
    K Michael Kadinger and eemsreno like this.
  13. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    I try to do 3,000 mile changes.
    The most miles was the 2015 trip to Alaska, I changed at Fairbanks 5,500 and again when home with another 5,500 miles.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

Would doing more oil changes help prolong the valve check intervals?

__
    What about keeping the RPMS no higher than 4,500rpm?

Looking at her on gearing commander, I can't believe the bike has a max rpm of 7,300rpm!

upload_2019-11-25_17-16-18.png

upload_2019-11-25_17-16-57.png
    I could not imagine going over 75mph.
    Even in a strong head wind, I would bring her down to 68mph I would not even be at 5,000rpm.

_____
    I know this seems odd.
    Why buy a 1200cc MC if you are not going to use the hp?

but I like the S10 for several reasons.

1. Amazing value.
    2. Amazing reliability.
    3. 26,000 mile valve checks.
    4. Low COG thanks to engineering.
    5. shaft drive
    6. Monster torque. I like torque engines. The 27 degree crank twin is for me.
    7. Amazing egros. You set in the bike, not on top of it like a dual sport, yet the seat height is still commanding. And the bar ergos are perfect for standing while on a forest road.
    8. Looks great!
    9. She comes ready off the show room floor!
    10. Cruise Control and ES help with rider fatigue, and resale value.
    11. The MC is tonka tuff. She is built to take a fall.
    1200. 6.1 gallons is great. I'd stay in touring mode all day long and just do some sight seeing. I could ride 250 miles straight and still have plenty of juice.
    I'm positive I could get her up to 55mpg routinely if I put premium in her the way I ride. That is 335 miles!
    At times, I could even push the 60mpg mark. So much torque. that is 366 miles!

For reference, I got around 61mpg on the MIGHTY DR at times when I was touring through the National Forests of central Oregon. Totally stock and she had about 12,000 miles on her. I had about .9 gallons of juice in gator aid bottles so I had solid range, and made it to the Brothers Stage Stop, no worries.

[​IMG]
    eemsreno likes this.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-11-25_17-42-20.png
    Smart engineering!!

And the exhaust is pointed downward.

And the pegs have rubber for the highway that allows you to still get grip when you stand up.

And she comes standard with a center stand.....

Well, time to get back to college work.
    Madman4049, Vrode and eemsreno like this.
  16. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me I just can’t believe that the Tenere does not get more respect from the press. I was looking a a new GS a couple weeks ago at a bike shop, and seeing how huge that thing is I can’t see how it is rated better. I’m just looking forward to join the 100k club.
  17. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that is a long term review! Well done.

Good to see the Super Ten still going strong after all of those miles. There are so many great reliable bikes on the market now but the ST is certainly one of the most reliable.
    eemsreno likes this.
  18. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    Still loving my 13' SuperT too. Great write up. Anyone that uses their S10 for real understands what great motorcycles they are! Congrats on all your adventures and miles!
    K Michael Kadinger and eemsreno like this.
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Well, the Motojournalist make it seem that all the consumer wants is more power. Hence the displacement creep over the last 15 years.

Here is me as a motojournalist:

Over 10 years ago, Yamaha set out to make their own R1200GS and in 2012 they did just that. In 2014 they created a more perfect S10, and have not felt the need to spend R/D on updating her in 7 years.
    What was once the heaviest ADV bikes in 2012, the S10 is now lighter than the R1250GS, and in another 5 years will be even lighter. But the owners will not even care, because they will be on their second 100,000 miles with a MC that is ready to tour off the show room floor.
    :deal
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    So does the 2014 S10ES compete more against the most modern RGS or the RGSA?
    I'm thinking RGSA even thought the fuel tank is smaller and the price is like $3,000+ difference.