Super Tenere Review, 8 years, 200,000 miles in the making

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by eemsreno, Nov 23, 2019.

1. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Keep on keeping on!
    eemsreno likes this.
  2. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    Precious Juice
    I have always thought my Tenere gets great fuel mileage, It can drink it down on an interstate, but usually summer time just riding around Iowa it will be in the high 40s.
    One time on our 2015 Alaska trip the three of us rode easy gravel for 272 miles south of Banff and when we filled up we only put in around 5.2 gallons.
    My 2017 Tenere will really get good mileage off the interstate, even two up and loaded. [better than the 12]

Another thing I could add about the Tenere is that it has always used some oil when pushed hard on the interstate but with over 200,000 miles, my last oil change had no interstate miles and if it went down in the site window it was not apparent in 3,000 miles. Now the 2017 has never used a drop that I can tell .
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  3. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    I am sure that the GS and Tiger and V Strom and Stelvio are all great bikes and have their traits that draw riders to them. I have ridden all but the latest GS and Stelvio, The Super Tenere was just made for me. I think a clone of me [with way more brains] was on the teem of designers for the Tenere. When the 2012 came out I didn't think it could ever be improved on. The 2014+ got everything perfect that the 12 needed though. As of right now I can't imagine the current Tenere's being made better.
  4. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on riding to Death Valley some time this winter, I have never been there.
    With the stick coil failure a couple weeks back, I'm thinking what is the most likely failure that could happen to my bike with this many miles.
    The only thing I can think of would be the fuel pump. I hate to change it when it's working perfect. I have never run any kind of fuel cleaner or any additive through my fuel but I do remove the fuel pump every couple years and clean the filter on it.
    I picked up a crashed 2012 Tenere for spare parts. It has around 40,000 miles on it. That is where my replacement Stator, stick coils,[I replaced all four] and extra rear wheel came from.
    I removed the fuel pump cleaned it all out and stored it away. So I have a pump with a lot less miles if I need it.
    I'm thinking that I'll show my wife where it's at and if it fails just have her ship it out fast to me. The only problem with that thought is I ride some pretty remote places alone. [bring hiking shoes?]
    I actually don't worry about anything like that because the bike has been so reliable. My wife says "just ride the 17" but I really like MY BIKE. [the 12]
  5. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
    The 2014 S10ES is a climax species MC for sure.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Have a great Thanksgiving.
    eemsreno likes this.
  6. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing your experience with the bike eemsreno.

Compared to yours my 2015 with 106.000 km on the clock is hardly broken in. I've experienced zero issues, the bike still feels new and rides better than ever with no measurable oil consumption between services.

I agree with you that the current version is a brilliant bike.
    This year I've tried to find a replacement, but haven't been able to find something I enjoy riding more, so I'll be keeping my T12 a while longer.
    As I've decided to keep it, I'll do a few mods this winter. Besides 20 mm riser links, lower foot pegs and flattening the seat, I'll treat the bike with a new more powerful battery and switch from hard to soft luggage (Holan Nomada Pro -> Mosko Moto R80).

As a side note, I've tracked the fuel consumption since I got the bike. The calculated average is 20.9 km/l - 49.2 US MPG.
    The_Precious_Juice and eemsreno like this.
  7. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great write up, with a S-10 it is just get on and GO. I have no where near the mileage some of you do but I have never had a seconds thought about any problems when I am on the road miles from home just brush the starter button and it always starts and brings me home. I don't use it as much as I thought and hoped I would but it always brings a smile to my face when I think about it. I call it The Mule. IMG_0054.JPG
    Manny U, rauchman, sanvara and 3 others like this.
  8. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    Now this is how to pack a Mule.
    [​IMG]
    Manny U, Killacurb, rauchman and 10 others like this.
  9. gmtech

gmtech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    favorite mod?
    favorite tire?
  10. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    That is... a lot of stuff :D

This is my luggage setup for a 2 weeks trip across Europe with camping gear:
    [​IMG]
  11. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    I think I met you in Ouray at the rally in 2013.
    Favorite mod, leveling out the seat might be at the top. Putting the CO adjustment up to 45+ really helps it run right.
    Favorite tire, I would say the 805 knobby is at the top but they just don't last long. E07+ must be next.
    I haven't spent the money for good soft luggage but I just don't like hard bags when I'm solo on this bike. When the wife rides with me they are fine.
    I have seen that riding hard off road trails that everything in that trunk gets pulverized, I'm just not a fan of any hard luggage. It's the only way to lock anything up though.
  12. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    That pictures makes it look more overloaded than it really was. We actually rode quite a few trails with that load.
    My wife is with me on that trip to Alaska, and we camped and cooked out.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Awesome
    eemsreno likes this.
  14. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    I'm a big 805 fan too. Agreed not the longest life tire, but you can't beat the traction offroad and it handles great on the pavement. Especially for the price.
    Killacurb, BaldKnob and eemsreno like this.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    I do not know a lot about touring bikes, because I just like ADV bikes.
    I guess touring is when you have certain milage you must hit a day, and you do not want to be tired when you get to your destination.

_
    Could the S10ES be the most practical touring bike out there?
    The ergos seem like a reach for the bike below.

upload_2019-12-1_22-20-20.png

upload_2019-12-1_22-21-11.png

No love here for the Candy Yams:
    https://safer-turn.com/article/the-best-touring-motorcycles-to-buy-in-2019-the-magnificent-7/

and again here:
    https://safer-turn.com/article/the-best-touring-motorcycles-to-buy-in-2019-the-magnificent-7/

But the Versys 1000 made the list:
    [​IMG]

_
    Looks like motojournalist do not write about bikes that are old even though they are great.
    Like the MIGHTY DR. No magazine love, but the bike is sold for the 2020 year.
  16. SparrowHawkxx

SparrowHawkxx Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the 200K miles!
    In 2 weeks my 2013 will be 7 years old and should be over 100K by then, 350 mi short right now.
    I have thought about removing the pump to clean the filter but have not done it yet.

I was curious what your experience has been on how bad the filter was when you checked it and what method you used to clean it, brush it off, backwash, or what?

I don't recall where right now, but I have seen instructions on how to remove the pump, backwash and replace the filter. I know it can vary greatly but I am mainly interested on how dirty these get and what kind of interval they should normally be checked at.
    eemsreno likes this.
  17. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Hats off to you for riding trails two up on a fully loaded beast. It's not something I would enjoy though...

The picture I posted shows my version of traveling ultra light.
    On most of my trips, I've used 2x38L Holan Nomada panniers - but then I have all the space I could ever want/need no matter the duration of the ride (when riding solo).
    eemsreno likes this.
  18. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I think the piston and ring updates they did on the 2nd gen models fixed the oil consumption issue. My '15 never uses any, even when flogging it at 80-90 MPH on the highway and in hot (100F+) weather with almost 70,000 miles on it. And here I was thinking my bike was becoming high mileage! Thanks for the report.
    Killacurb and eemsreno like this.
  19. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    I would suspect it depends a lot on where you get your fuel and how clean it is.
    I would say that every 50,000 miles if looks like it has quite a bit of junk stuck to the filter.
    I just remove the filter off the pump and back flush it out and gently compressed air blow it out.
    SparrowHawkxx likes this.
  20. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    congrats @eemsreno that's quite the mileage.
    I only kept mine to 90k km and it didn't go as smoothly as your experience.
    But, it was a very enjoyable and trouble free bike.
    One thing...the valves...ignorant design both in service (that valve cover..) and procedure to adjust. I've done mine twice, and a few other STs in town...pain.
    In comparo, the AT is far harder to get at the valve cover, but, once there, not only is it much easier to take out, but also to adjust the valves (uni cam). On a negative note, they are due every 24k km.

Swing arm plug fell out, and cause the main seal to leak. Big job. If I knew about it from day one, would have sealed the bastard then. Live/learn.
    https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/rear-shaft-drive-seal-replacement-and-staintune-pipe/

The ABS pump was half submerged/caked in mud. Luckily it dried quickly and insulated it. I never found out about it, until I had to rebuild the motor.
    My rings and valve seals were done at about 75k km.
    I rebuilt using 2nd gen internals with zero issues.
    https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/yamaha-super-tenere-xt-1200-top-end-rebuild/

[​IMG]

For those still rocking gen one tenere's consider ditching the OEM cct.
    Otherwise some chicken shit stuff...headlight harness recall, and side stand switch shit the bed.
    Mine ate rear pads every 15k. Dust and rider may have been culprits :1drink... as well as linked brakes...
    strommonster likes this.