Super Tenere Review, 8 years, 200,000 miles in the making

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by eemsreno, Nov 23, 2019.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    So oil services are about every 6,000 miles
    Valve checks are about every 24,000 miles.

At what mileage do you perform upkeep on the shaft drive? Google sucks sometime.
    Plus, on YouTube folks do not put down the mileage on the descriptions.

Thanks for reading.
  2. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    I don't like dirty oil, so I change my engine oil every 3,000.
    When the bike was new, I changed the rear drive oil a lot but after about 20,000 miles it stays clean for a long time.
    I just changed it a couple days ago and it had 15,000 miles on it.
    My valve checks are more like every 50,000.
  3. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure that there is a set mileage, but most check it when they first get the bike, as Yamaha is a little stingy on grease at times. After that usually during off season, unless you feel there is a need, like you notice a seal leaking (rare).
  4. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Steve, I am late to this thread. If you are thinking of DV this winter, consider the noobs rally at the end of March. Watch for a PM from me. And congrats on the 200k milestone!!
    eemsreno likes this.
  5. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your mileage!!
    I'm at 153,500 miles on my 2014, bought in Oct 2016. So far I have not had any issues either. I have replaced the plugs twice (w/iridium) every 60K, final drive oil every 16K, and engine oil/filter every 8-9,000 miles using synthetic 10w40. I have not yet checked the valves. I did replace the rear shock with a Penske around 100K as the stock one was toast.
    Podman, simmons1, fastring and 4 others like this.
  6. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    Hi David
    I don't know if I can wait till March. I want to take a winter ride and escape this cold Siberia. " I need a vacation"
  7. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    Your the Man!
    You are riding about 50,000 + miles a year.
  8. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    It's rider reports like these that have me very curious to look at the S10 if I'm ever in the heavyweight ADV market - for now I'm plenty satisfied with my CRF Rally but hey, sometimes a boy's gotta do superslab mileage
    strommonster and eemsreno like this.
  9. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I like the Rally too.

If she had 4.0 gallons stock that would help her on the matrix. In the end, the Versys X 300 is the better value for touring.
    Then it comes down to the 300 and the RE Hima. For me the thumper wins. I like the look and the engine personality. Valve checks are hyper often, but they are easy to do.

The next category is the,
    CB500X
    DL650
    Versys 650.

In 2019, Suzuki released the DL650XT Touring. Which is very loaded at $9,999. That beats the Versys LT.
    The Honda is really frugal. No valve checks until 16,000 miles (not the 600 mile mar). But,the Suzuki just comes with so much comfort and convenience items. Granted, the ergos would need to be changed. Bar reach is too much.

The Heavy weight category is the,
    DL1000. Pre 2020
    ATAS. Pre 2020.
    S10ES

The Honda beats the Suzuki easily. More juice. heated grips. cheap fuel. rear ABS can be turned off. Skid plate.
    Up against the S10ES, the Honda comes up in 2nd place.

Lower COG
    Cruise Control
    Can take a fall much better
    Shaft Drive
    center stand
    much much longer valve service interval
    Plus, used bike that are around 2016 are thousands less.

Premium fuel is the only niggle. But its a great trade off for 24,000 miles + valve checks!
    eemsreno likes this.
  10. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    My 2012 has run 90% of it's life on 87 octane 10% ethanol. When just riding around or touring.
    No problems but I wouldn't race [run it real hard] without premium.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  11. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Wow, this just keeps getting better! Almost unicorn like.
    So, if a rider rarely took the rpms over 5,500rpms you could tour for months and months and the engine would be fine with 87?
    So, higher rpms demand premium. Well, that would never happen. The MC is a 1200cc 270 degree crank P. Twin. Plenty of beans found down low.
    [​IMG]
    2016 model
    [​IMG]
    2016 model
    Looks like that is the secret to 24,000 valve checks and taking cheap fuel, no worries. Such a mellow engine.
  12. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    The S10 is like having your car and riding it too.
    Hehe.

It's a play on words from the old saying of "You can't have your cake and eat it too."

The S10 is the closes thing to a car when out touring. Which is what I want. You are making time nearly as fast as a cage, but you get to experience the environment more up close and personal than a cage. And the parking is much easier and the MC can get off the beaten path way easier.

In the urban setting, you can just park the bike, and go have some fun at your destination and then ride off at the end of the day.

If Optimums Prime needed to take a from and it he felt like being a MC, it would be the S10. No doubt about it. Megatron would go with the 1290 KTM.

If Chuck Norris wanted to go on a RTW trip in 40 days, he would pick the S10.
    tbirdstud86 likes this.
  13. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I have close to 70K on mine love it more every ride, there are alot sexier bikes but there aren't any better bikes in my opinion. I've done a week long 4 state camping trip, turned around put my fiance on it and we did an Iron Butt, turned around from that put luggage on it and bashed offroad through rocks, roots, and water in national forest primitive camping by the lake on a jut out. It can ride curves with the crotch rockets fairly well, fits in with a group of goldwings just as much as it does with a group of dual sporters it can't be beat. Hell half the time I do store runs on the bike instead of taking the truck. Every 3k I change my oil and final drive oil. Every 12 months I put in new coolant, brake, and clutch fluids. Once every so often I spoon on new tires, did a valve check had 2 exhaust and 1 intake only slightly out of tolerance easily fixed in the garage over a weekend.

Been asked several times at rest stops and campgrounds if it's a BMW, I just laugh and say no it's way better.
    Manny U, Bt10, wera688 and 5 others like this.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback!!

S.U.V. Motorcycle for sure.
    Manny U and madrider5150 like this.
  15. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    This is exactly why I keep looking at them. Keep trying to resist getting a third bike but I want a SUV bike like my 4runner; durable, reliable, very good motor longevity and freeway friendly.
    On Friday I'm planning to test ride a left over '18, we'll see what happens..
    The_Precious_Juice and eemsreno like this.
  16. pfettig77

pfettig77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is this?
  17. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    That was in the sandhills of Nebraska on highway 2
    lrgart likes this.
  18. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You sure won't be making a mistake if you get one, if I could change only one thing it would be a 100-150lb diet.
    madrider5150 likes this.
  19. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'm happy with it as is as I'm not thinking it's a dirt bike. Nice and stable even in high winds.
    madrider5150 and eemsreno like this.
  20. Moto Jimmy

Moto Jimmy Bushwacker

Oddometer:
    Did you do this adjustment yourself or did you send out the ECU for a re-flash?

I have the same bike (year & color) with 45k miles. I'm getting tired of the lean jerkiness.

Installed a manual CCT a while back. Haven't check the valves yet. Plugs still look good. My throttle cable is beginning to stick so I'll take care of that this winter.

Other than the fuel pump filter, anything else I should look at beyond the typical wearable items?
    eemsreno likes this.