Super tenere wind on the feet question.

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by touring_monk, Oct 28, 2019.

1. touring_monk

touring_monk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/adventure-touring/models/2017/super-tenere-es/view360

Please open the above link, make tenere rotate facing towards you. (in 360 view)

You will see there is gap betweet lower_blcak_leg faring and foot peg.
    I ride in colder weather too so I know that gap means non stop cold wind blast on your feet.

How tenere riders deal with it ?

Even in summer chilly mornings I rather ride without full gear.. I know looking at tenere that other then my feet every thing will be some what protected from the wind. While feet being totally exposed.

To give you an example.. tracer 900 on 360 veiw and show room.. seems like to have better wind protection then tenere.
    https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/tracer-900-gt
    (check for your self)

I am thinking
    1- i get engine guard and put fog light down low on the guard in way they cover feet from wind.
    2-by t-rex engine guard(which is like a cage and have pipe running in front of foot pegs)

3- should I just buy tracer 900 just for this reason? I do not like tracer 900 over tenere and its snappy attitude.

any suggestions ?
    Are there any shoes which protect feet upto calfs from wind/cold ? wont they get cold them self ?
  2. gmtech

gmtech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have had two tenere over 6 years... been commuting to work lately down to 34F and feet are not the part of my body that gets cold... I think its a non issue unless your wearing sandals to ride
  3. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Non issue.
  4. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Ummm, it's a motorcycle, as in out in the breeze.....

Buy something with full fairings?
  5. touring_monk

touring_monk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yesterday it was 7c in the morning, i went to work (60km highway) on motorcycle...
    With overpants and my full faring cruiser bike. just because I had little wind coming in on my ankles constantly my feet were very cold by the time I arrived to work.
    Going back same story till I stop on gas station when I got to plastic bags put them over me socks... with shoe laces I tied my over-pants over my shoe/ankle so it wont get wind in.
    Today I have sami cold and have 4 Tylenol in my pocket.
    I hope you appreciate my concerns.
    Also I wanted to get tenere for few yars now....so... I asked...

Thats interesting.. I think those fairing are on an angle.. perhaps they create fly-screen effect.. and drive wind away downwards..

I wonder if some one stuck his/her food out of peg.. if they would feel more wind...

On cruiser bikes.. my current bike is second one i am wind proofing.. so I have learned a thing of two..
  6. gmtech

gmtech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    longer pants? taller more winter oriented boots
    willfreely likes this.
  7. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have commuted to work in the high teens a couple of times, on the Tenere. Wasn't any better, or worse then my other bikes. Cold, sure, good thick socks, and good boots helped.
  8. Ironhand

Ironhand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I regularly commute when morning temps are sub-freezing and can honestly say that my feet have never been the most uncomfortably cold part of my body. And that's with summer-ish weight Sidi boots. You could always buy a BMW or Ural. Those have built-in foot heaters :jack.
    touring_monk and DirtyRoadie like this.
  9. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    The OP should buy a minivan and quit wasting bandwidth on this forum.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  11. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wear boots.
    atravlr and touring_monk like this.
  12. Ironhand

Ironhand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :jackSavage...!
  13. touring_monk

touring_monk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I conclude 2 things... you guys have
    well someone still remember mom's minivan ?
    swimmer likes this.
  14. touring_monk

touring_monk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I conclude leg-tank-black faring helps.. perhaps drive wind away as well like a fly screen.
    Motorcycle boot is almost a must for colder weather...

Thank you every one for very useful input.
  15. motor_roy

motor_roy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I laughed
  16. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    Google “over boot cover” or “cycling rain over shoe” and see what comes up. Same idea as the plastic bags over your feet. I’ve used them over our rainy west coast winters. They will help keep your feet dry and warm. They are, however, an additional pain in the ass when you are trying to get out the door on time.

Sorry, I don’t have a Super Ten to provide comment on the bike itself. Tough to get full coverage like a Goldwing without buying..... a Goldwing.
    touring_monk likes this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Wind of your feet???
    Just drive a car if that's an issue.

Or buy Gortex pants and boots.
    fastnlight likes this.
  18. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wear something with a bit more coverage than your man-thong and steel-toed flippy-floppies.

Heated socks and taller waterproof insulated riding boots could help. Longer pants too.
    touring_monk likes this.
  19. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’re going to deal with this on everything but a full-fairing motorcycle.

I wear Red Wing boots to work. Even with thick socks, my feet get cold below about 35* on the highway.

I ordered a set of Tourmaster boot covers (boot rain covers). Having used them before, I’m pretty sure they will address the issue (likely draft through/around the tongue of the boots).

That being said, I’m also pretty sure that a good pair of legit riding boots would work, as well. I have freak show width feet though (4E in Red Wing), so just finding a pair of boots that fit is difficult for me. Mainstream riding boots were a no-go for me (not wide enough).
  20. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Wear more, add heat, or quit riding below your comfort range.

I do what you describe on various bikes that expose my tall boots with overpants and dont really think about my feet. I think they are cold but not numb or causing any problems for me.

Getting used to being uncomfortable for periods of riding is normal for an all season and weather rider. It does wonders to make you appreciate the end of that discomfort. And it fuels a yearning to push harder into that zone as you get better at focusing on the ride, instead of yourself.

If you cant set aside your discomfort, after trying and wanting to make that happen, you have discovered a personal boundary. With time and exposure, your may be able to push that boundary in the direction you want, but it has to be worth your time and the required discomfort.

Relating a goal to the effort can help, but without that, is there a good reason to continue?

That is how adventure goes round for me. And I do get overall cold after 6 to 8 hours below freezing. Heated grips and vest get me that far, and I add a few disposable heat packs where needed if I get in too deep.

Greg
    touring_monk and Dale402 like this.