Super Tenere XT1200Z Low speed Gear Ratios Question...

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Wheedle, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    How is the S10 at low speed off road in 1st gear? Looking to replace my 05 DL1000, and a 2015 or so S10 is floating around the top of the list. But, having shaft drive I'm a bit concerned about the 1st gear ratio being tall for the occasional trails I ride. I tried to search, but I didn't find anything. My Strom usually runs 17/42 which works but could be a little shorter, but I need to be able to do a bit of slab too.
  2. fpalbrecht

fpalbrecht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm an ex trials rider. I didn't like the Tenere when I tried to ride 1st gear/slower than first gear. I gave myself plenty of time to get used to it and still wasn't where I wanted to be. I had the ecu flashed by Anthony and it's perfect now.
    WRC51 likes this.
  3. Wheedle

Oddometer:
    So for you, it was more of a mapping issue than the actual gear ratio?
  4. fpalbrecht

fpalbrecht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  5. russell44

russell44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Use gearing commander.
    Plug in all the changes you made to the Strom and then open another page with the S10.
    Toggle back and forth comparing gear speeds of the 2 bikes.
  6. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far with the riding that I have done with mine, I find that 1st and 2nd gear are just a bit too tall for low-speed technical stuff.
    I realize that most owners don't ride theirs like that, but I find myself wishing for lower low-gears.
    With that being said.................The engine in the S10 will pretty much tractor through any situation you put it in.
  7. Wheedle

Oddometer:
    Well, I found a good deal on a 2015 KTM 1290 SA a few hours from home. While I tink I would have been happy with the S10, the KTM may be my best bad idea ever...

Thanks for the replies.
  8. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not the gearing....it's the weight and the height that'll bite you in anything remotely 'technical'. I say that in quotes because technical for a Tenere is a cake walk for a dirtbike (or dr650).

That said, if you can keep it pointed in the right direction and upright, the motor is exceptionally tractor like at low speed. I often find that first is TOO touchy if you're actually going slow and prefer to chug along in second with the clutch slipped constantly. Yes, it gets hot, but the fan keeps things well in hand. I wouldn't want to do this for too many miles, as it gets very tiring, but any technical riding on a 600 lb bike will be fatiguing...
  9. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    8 mph is as slow as it ever goes without slipping clutch. I too thought a little lower would be good. Did more loose rock on my recent CDT trail and now i think keeping the speed up a bit is a significant bonus for balancing the weight and traction. As for the engine braking it used to be annoying until i spent more time on long steep downhill descents. I love it now and wouldn't have it any other way.
    Tiggleswerth likes this.
  10. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    I do some technical riding on my S10 and a lower first gear would be great! But, I'm a good enough rider that I make it work. Gotta go fr that ECU flash!
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The power on the first 3 gears is restricted and the fueling is pretty poor in first, a big stumble off idle. A flash transforms the performance.