Superhawk \ VTR1000F

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by curtis6870, Dec 27, 2014.

1. AMCQ46

AMCQ46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Forks are off an Aprilia RSV4. I chose these as the VTR std forks are longer than most Jap sports bikes, and shorter than ADV bikes, so finding out that the Aprilia forks [rsv, Tuono & RSV4] are the same length is the starting point.

i had previously been running the std front forks but had them internally modified by a UK shop called Revolution racing, Roger Dichfield who runs that company has been involved with VTRs and Moriwaki since the bike was introduced, and he was inchange of getting a superbike race version into the UK championships... so he knows these bikes inside out. those forks were great for street use, but a crash a few years ago bent them beyond repair, and I decided I also wanted bigger brake rotors too.

for the conversion I needed all the parts from the Aprilia, ie the forks, the wheel, the rotors, the calipers, the spindle & spacers, the top and bottom yokes & mudguard.
    then I removed the stem from the honda yokes and had a machine shop modify the Aprilia yokes to accept the smaller diameter honda stem.
    once that is done, the honda stem bearing fit and it all bolts up.

fireblade yoke with Aluminium stem pressed out to be used for the conversion
    [​IMG]

top is the fire blade yoke where the donor stem was removed from
    the black stem is from the Aprillia
    [​IMG]

the Fireblade stem now fitted to the Aprillia yokes

[​IMG]

The workshop had to make a spacer that was a press fit on the Blade stem, then turn it down till it was the same diameter as the Aprillia stem, then they press fitted and glued that into the Aprillia yoke
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I miss my VTR. I've had much faster bikes and smoother bikes but never a bike with such a pleasantly lumpy and tractable power delivery. I feel that if more people test rode those bikes back in the day they would have sold twice as many. On the same day I test rode a VTR1000F , a TL1000S and an RC51. I could have bought any of them , and really wanted to have loved the RC51 because of it's looks and track performance. I ended up buying the Superhawk and never regretted it.
    AZbiker and Marco Moto like this.
  3. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Yeah I miss mine too. Like someone else mentioned - a modern version would be nice. For me, I don't really think I'd need more power but better suspension and brakes would be nice. Add fuel injection to maybe improve fuel consumption but only if the motor could still maintain that lumpy character.

So much fun in some nice twisties - stick to one gear and listen to the music as you're on and off the throttle....

VTR.JPG
    JeffPM, Cat0020, AMCQ46 and 4 others like this.
  4. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have LED driving / fog lights on their VTR?

I'm looking to add some more lights & was wondering where people mounted addl lights
  5. AMCQ46

AMCQ46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for late reply ... Fortunately it's not an oil leak... The black line on the fork leg is an oring to show me how much travel I am using
  6. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Honda made an upright naked with this engine and chassis I think it would do really well.
  7. fpalbrecht

fpalbrecht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rogue_Ryder likes this.
  8. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    See the odd one here but not hugely popular - I think they may have been expensive to buy. Luckily Yamaha came up with the S10 eh ;)
    fpalbrecht likes this.
  9. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Last Labor Day weekend rode to work & clutch was not working. I rode upstate NY the next day to hang out with some friends and then rode home - Yikes not fun riding without a clutch - I thought my clutch was toast - so I covered the VTR in garage & thought I'd sort this Spring - so after posting on Superhawk forum - I looked at clutch fluid - Doh - nada in there & looked at Slave - leaky leaky. Just ordered from Oberon http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/Clutch_Slave_Cylinders_CSC.html

Another reinforced lesson of KISS

20210323_144943.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    738878D7-90E4-4C05-A099-90426F80E97D.jpeg A46928FC-1FD2-45F3-9F80-371D18BD552E.jpeg
    Marco Moto, AMCQ46, EVLED and 2 others like this.
  11. mars9569

mars9569 n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's mine...

Attached Files:

12. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Rec'd new slave cylinder from Oberon in UK - installed yesterday, pretty easy to do other than removing old paper gasket.
    VTR back up & running just in time for rain / snow for today & tomorrow....
    Slave Cylinder, Yuck, 3-21.jpg

And off we go

Oberon Slave Cylinder, 3-21.jpg
    Marco Moto and AMCQ46 like this.
  13. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Page 7???? WTH people?????:dirtdog:baldy:fpalm

A7FA059E-D573-45C4-8F69-D89607DE2E1C.jpeg
    OJ-J and Marco Moto like this.
  14. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager

Oddometer:
    Last winter I sandblasted/powdercoated the forks and wheels, welded on stand spools, modded and resprung the suspension, and installed stainless steel brake/clutch lines. I only do this kind of stuff to a keeper... I LOVE this thing!

PXL_20210423_223209232.jpg

PXL_20210423_223157279.jpg

PXL_20210110_182826574.jpg
    AMCQ46, StevieMac, N-Id-Jim and 5 others like this.
  15. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    SuperHawk followed me home coupla weeks ago. New chain, sprockets & tires...needed nothing.
    Rectifier done, mild suspension upgrades (but don't know the details), braided brake lines and most likely re-jetted given the 80mi range before the light comes on, even with the mild riding I've done so far.

Certainly didn't need it (and barely have the room), but I bought it for the sound.
    The ad had me at “Staintune pipes”.

[​IMG]
    OJ-J and Marco Moto like this.
  16. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager

Oddometer:
    You won't regret it! Sounds like it was very well taken care of, a lot of bike for the money, congrats!
    Guano11 likes this.
  17. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a first year VTR for a few seasons, pretty nice bike, but not a traveler. I found the gearing to be bad for my type of riding (Deals Gap at the time), 2nd was too tall for most corners, 1st too short. After break in I put a 1 tooth smaller countershaft sprocket on the bike and man, did that wake it up. Made 2nd gear useful for the Gap corners, and the shorter gearing really let that bike move out. Very strong on the mid-range. I used it as a day bike as the RLEDoD (red LED of death) came on at 90 miles like clockwork, and about 20mi later you were walking! Talk about range anxiety and fastidious gas stop planning!

The next year I bought an original round tube SV650 standard, and although not as fast, the SV was a very fine all around bike and I sold the VTR. I used the VTR proceeds to upgrade the SV with RaceTech cartridge emulators and springs, a Fox twin clicker shock, Galfer brake lines, Yoshimura RS-3 oval slip on, and a Factory stage 2 jet kit. Man, that SV was a great bike, the only bike I really ever regret selling!
    Guano11, HapHazard and Marco Moto like this.
  18. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Rally time

5839A6FA-B4D6-4879-9B01-7724B87A2C77.jpeg 0F2F64F5-8960-4210-9490-C3EE25E63CF2.jpeg 04290FB1-72B9-49E7-B205-EF9B6DB9C0AE.jpeg 06EC8CD8-502E-4DF1-AF4F-8AFF9C514D08.jpeg 4BA48F13-F68C-4523-BC1E-8F2FB73C8A2A.jpeg
    AMCQ46, Marco Moto and OJ-J like this.