1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Supermoto Bike Suggestions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by frank2.0, Mar 11, 2020.

1. frank2.0

frank2.0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hoping to get some advice from you fine folks. I've been wanting a supermoto bike for a long time and finally feel like it's time to pull the trigger. Right now I only have one bike 600rr which I use for street and track riding. I'm looking for a street oriented supermoto bike to use around town.
    I'm really leaning towards the Husqvarna 701 but concerned about the high cost, lack of a local dealer (1 hour away and in another state), and cost of repair/maintenance.
    I LOVE the looks of the 701. Style-wise it's perfect IMO. I did look into the DRZ400 but dont love the looks and think it'll be a bit underpowered.
    Anyone have any opinions on the Husky? The reviews for the newer motor (2018+?) seem to be really good but I have heard of reliability issues and the seat apparently sucks.

I'm also open to other bikes but I can't seem to find anything. What I'm looking for is a lightweight and powerful street oriented supermoto. It'll probably never see dirt and if it does, it'll be rare.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Romero likes this.
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Drz400 are SHIT, get a husky or ktm 500, fast and light, you be quicker that a 701, dont bother with a two stroke there horrible on rd
  3. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    You could convert a Honda CRF450L or KTM EXC - that's gonna be the "truest" supermoto that's also road-legal from the factory

Otherwise the 701SM is pretty grand. I really like the DR-Z400SM but I kinda get why people don't, even if I strongly disagree
    frank2.0 likes this.
  4. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    DRZ SMs are great for what they are. I have a blast on mine, but the throttle is pinned most of the time if I'm hooning. Good suspension & brakes - very reliable & low maintenance - inexpensive.
    Can't go wrong with a 701 SM or 690 SMR - fast, reliable & very long service intervals. Loved & miss my '08 690 SMC. New 690 / 701 motors are Sweet!
    A properly tarded 500 would be a blast!
    frank2.0 and madrider5150 like this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 950SM a couple of months ago and while interesting, I can't say it's rattled my world like I thought it would. It's almost a little too focused of a motorcycle.

my KTM.jpg
  6. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been seeing quite a few tagged & tarded MX/SX 450s in my neck of the woods
  7. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    give us an example of how and where you would ride it.. types of roads, any dirt, city traffic, country roads, miles you would ride, weather you like to ride in, who you would ride with and what they have, max speed you would want to ride at, like wheelies, backing it in, would you track it, do you like race compound tires on the street, have any fear of loosing your DL?

edit.. if you have not spent anytime on a moto with a quick shifter (hold WOT and click through the gears, no clutch use) you may want to consider the new 690 as an alternative to the 701. I've put 15K miles on my MV Agusta with a quick shifter and for the street there are HUGE advantages, ones I'd hope are extended eventually to dirt motos soon.
    frank2.0 and gentimmy like this.
  8. gentimmy

gentimmy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That last question :nod
    Fast1 likes this.
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    In the right elements, sumos rule!

10285842_10204153932141518_6341550618046465439_o.jpg WI1_zps56ac172c.jpg WI2_zps6b5d2cac.jpg WI4_zpsf5955c32.jpg
  10. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You didn't mention the KTM 690 SMC. It's pretty much the same bike as the Husky 701 Supermoto, but there are more KTM dealers in the US than there are Husky dealers,
    so warranty service could be potentially more convenient for you.

The "high cost" of the Husky 701/ KTM 690 SMC is a relative thing. For what you get, which is 74 horsepower, ~330 pounds, reasonable maintenance intervals, electronics which virtually NO other single cylinder bikes have, and world-class suspension, the price is reasonable.

I own a KTM 525 EXC which has a supermoto wheel set. I can go nearly as fast point-to-point on a KTM 690 with dual sport tires, thanks to the extra power of the 690 combined with the ABS which allows you get to away with extreme riding with a much lower probability of losing control of the bike. You could buy a KTM 500 EXC or a Husky 501 and convert it to supermoto spec, but you still would not have the traction control, dual ride modes, lean-angle-sensitive ABS, and quickshifter that you get with a KTM 690 / Husky 701.

Given your statement that you are not going to ride on dirt, a Husky 701 or KTM 690 SMC would be the way to go. With these bikes you get a machine which is 100% guaranteed to be street legal, which is not guaranteed to continue to be the case with a converted motocross bike. You also get MUCH longer maintenance intervals and longer engine life.

Yeah, the 701 / 690 costs more than mediocre bikes cost.

There are solid reasons why this is the case. Buy the best, cry once about the cost, then laugh in your helmet at how fun your bike is, every time you ride the bike.
    scot_douglas and frank2.0 like this.
  11. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with a DRZ 400 SM.
    Never done me wrong.
    frank2.0 likes this.
  12. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha WR450 can be a nice reliable 275 pound, 45rwhp SUMO.

I tried to convert my 2012 KTM690 Enduro into a SUMO, but suffered from never ending reliability issues and the vibration was intolerable for more than a 30 mile ride.

FB_IMG_1583975547733.jpg
  13. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Street Oriented? Grab and go?

Either the DRZ400SM or a 19+ 690 SMC/701.

I would recommend the DRZ400SM to dip your toes i bought mine for 3k and sold at 4k

You dont want a 450 MX/Enduro conversion unless your serious
    Romero and frank2.0 like this.
  14. frank2.0

frank2.0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't have much time to ride these days so at best I'd be riding maybe 1-2k miles per year. Definitely would use a street compound tire. I may pick up a set of dirt tires/wheels but the trails that I have access to are not conducive to dirt bikes. Very bumpy, hilly, rocky, etc. I learned that the hard way after buying a crf450r and going over the bars a few too many times. The type of riding I'd be doing would be a short weekend ride here or there., Commuting to work (if I take the long way it's still less than 10 miles) and generally riding like an idiot. Hooning around or whatever the fuck you kids say..
    I might take it to the track (along with my 600rr) but itll probably feel really weird as the riding style is totally different.

690 is definitely an option. I just love the look of that 701. I know that's shouldn't be the deciding factor but I just think it's damn sexy.
  15. frank2.0

frank2.0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Enduro conversion does sound cool because I enjoy wrenching on bikes but I live in NY and so it would have to be a bike that was intended to registered for street riding. I've heard of ways to cheat the system but it's not worth the headache for me. Plus most of those bikes seem more geared to dirt.

Any pros/cons between the 690 and 701? I heard that they're essentially the same
  16. frank2.0

frank2.0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I really like this idea. Drz's tend to hold their value around here but I could find one that needs a little tlc. Fix it up, ride it around, and if I'm loving it...I'll sell it and get a 701/690
  17. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run Michelin street and TKC knobbies. fun bike

upload_2020-3-11_19-55-14.jpeg
    frank2.0 likes this.
  18. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    you want ultimate sumo... and you live in a state that allows ease of a plate..

here it is

Take a look at the MV Agusta Rivale or Ducati Hypermotard which ups the game a bit over the 701/690 if you will stick to pavement only .. be tough to hang with either of these in the curves, excluding cart tracks.

frank2.0 likes this.
  19. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're making a very wise choice avoiding bikes that were not intended for legitimate street-legal use by the manufacturer.

The VIN has a check digit in it. Because of this it's a simple matter for a state DMV to use its computer systems to sort registrations by VIN and compile a list of registrations which the DMV will refuse to renew because the VIN relates to a motorcycle which was not sold new as a street-legal motorcycle.

Start out with a truly street-legal bike, which has DOT and EPA certification, and avoid the problem entirely.

I would suggest you ride as many of the bikes you're considering BEFORE you buy one. For me, a DRZ 400 supermoto would not be acceptable, because the engine simply doesn't make as much power as I want. But, you might decide it's ok for you. A test ride is how you find out before you waste time and money buying a bike that you will quickly want to sell.
    frank2.0 likes this.
  20. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Its totally okay to WANT more power. However one of the fastest street riders I knew could just about ride the wheels off a motarded DRZ400.
    For a few years I was very big into street supermoto type riding. Some of us had the cheaper DRZ400, some guys had nicer KTMs, one guys even had a badazz Aprillia 450 twin. I rode a motarded DR650.
    I never had problems keeping up.

We used to do these great rides out in western MD and West Virginia.
    frank2.0, Romero and Fast1 like this.