Supermoto

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Grynch, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Newcastle Supermoto is live on Facebook right now.
  3. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that Newcastle link , tough track to pass on with it so tight , and those big k-rail water barriers ... and the street curbs for berms !

This Markus Class #1 won the pro class by racing like he was on rails... alien ... did you see those , round the outside passes on the lappers ?

[​IMG]
  4. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Impressive riding. The live stream starts again at 9:00am Newcastle Australia time Sunday. Readers are left to figure how that relates their own time zone because I'm not guessing for you. :D

Track looks fun but it is tight. I've seen more passing opportunities going down fire escapes on old buildings. This is a seriously cool event and I'm thankful for the free live streaming.
    Tarmac Kid and mminob like this.
  5. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    2019 AMA Supermoto National Championship schedule released.

Even larger than usual purse for the Open Pro category at the first round (Stateline) and a return to Sturgis, Austin, Trois-Rivieres and Tucscon. Everyone raved about the Musselman circuit in Tucson when they raced there a few years ago. The Canadian event might be the coolest on the schedule.

2019 AMA Supermoto National Championship Series Schedule

April 6-7: Primm, Nev., Anthony Hart Memorial Race

May 18-19: Grand Junction, Colo.

June 14-15: Austin, Texas, 24th Annual ROT Rally

Aug. 3-4: Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada, 50th Grand Prix of Trois-Rivières (CMA/FIM North America sanctioned)

Sept. 6-7: Sturgis, S.D., 7th Annual Streets of Sturgis (AMA/FIM North America sanctioned)

Oct. 4-5: Tucson, Ariz., 5th Annual Musselman Honda Circuit
    mminob likes this.
  6. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Quebec would be the closest race to me...
  7. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Still a long way for you. Supermoto is part of a big weekend with the World Rallycross Championship sharing much of the same course. The city is really behind the event and there is a big celebration where the race bikes and race cars cruise through the streets lined with people.
  8. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Yup it is. I probably wont make it...
  9. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dogfight at 2:21

Maybe watch it muted

10. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Think this is the one where I became a Matt Winstanley fan.

11. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember watching a round of World Supermoto Championship at Lydd, it might even have been the first SuMo race that I went to. It's a Go-Kart track most of the time, but the layout seems to lend itself to good racing, plus you can get close to the action. My only criticism is the off-road section is not very good, but there's not much that can be done about that due to space limitations.

Matt Winstanley is a very good rider, he was always on the podium whever I saw him race. That British Championship round had lots of entries, probably too many for the track, hence the re-starts. Maybe they should have run Semi's to keep numbers lower for the final.
    socalnative and jjjjjjay like this.
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shasta Kart Track Friday practice.
    IMG_20200918_143949.jpg IMG_20200918_143854.jpg IMG_20200918_140210.jpg IMG_20200918_150320.jpg IMG_20200918_154619.jpg IMG_20200918_143822.jpg
    StanBo, Tarmac Kid and Bors like this.
  13. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200918_145017.jpg IMG_20200918_145029.jpg IMG_20200918_140221.jpg IMG_20200918_140218.jpg IMG_20200918_144529.jpg
    Pretty good showing for Friday practice.
    StanBo, thebigman and Bors like this.
  14. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good turnout. I've only raced there once. Really fun track.
  16. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The corners are deteriorating, but it is still a fun track. The right hand hairpin and corner a then left onto the the long straight is super fun. First time for me. Good turn out for Friday School and practice.
  17. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    The lads are keen riding in nylons:confused
    Grynch likes this.
  18. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    I don't understand how Supermoto isn't the most popular form of motorcycle trackday/ club level racing.
    GSJOE, oldskool63, StanBo and 2 others like this.
  19. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a very specific set of bike parameters. And finding fun tracks that will allow that size of moto on them is tough. Many kart tracks don't like motorcycles, in general. And supermotos are of limited fun on full sized car/motorcycle tracks. It's very niche. Very fun, but very niche.
    StanBo and Bluetonguejak like this.
  20. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wasn't 2003 the year where the "champion" was based on the last race? I remember Jeff Ward was kicking butt on the TLD Honda 450 that year...

ward at columbus sideways.jpg

We wandered down to Columbus on a cold October morning to see the AMA Supermoto run in a parking lot and a construction area in the Arena district before it was complete. Day warmed up into the mid-upper 70s and was fabulous. There was a huge hill in the track that was a couple stories high - dirt from the construction.

We were at the end of the short straight where this view was seen lap after lap. Totally awesome. If I remember right it was Ward, McGrath, and Henry in that order that day.

It's a shame the AMA couldn't keep this kind of thing going. I saw a NASMoto race in Cleveland that was also run in a parking lot across from Burk Lake Front Airport a year or so later, they put some dirt in a few places in the parking lot with some jumps.

It is one of the three most exciting kinds of motorcycle racing in my book. It is in a dead heat with Grand National Flat Track and FIM Speedway. I know kart tracks don't like the bikes because they can tear up the track surface when they go down - at least that is what I was told, metal parts dig into asphalt. Might be BS, seems Road America does the Briggs-Stratton kart track for SM. The places that could possibly do the job would be paved auto short tracks with figure 8 in the infield. Like this track near New Philadelphia Ohio, Midvale Speedway:

upload_2020-9-21_20-31-50.png

If places like this could be worked with around the country, Supermoto would have a chance to get big. It needs nation wide racing.

Attached Files:

Grynch likes this.