Supermoto

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Grynch, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leathers do not work for most U.S. Supermoto racers, they are way to restrictive, to the point that it will rob you of energy, that is when mistakes happen. Have you ever seen Jeff Ward where a set of leathers?
    Josh Chisum used to have a set of body armor that was made out of a neoprene material. He swore by them. He crashed at over 100 mph.... No problem, he got up and kept riding.

It is what is under the nylon that counts.
    Bluetonguejak likes this.
  2. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great shot of Wardy! Almost looks like he is a hockey player, with all that body armor underneath.
  3. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Supermoto is dead, why is Husky still making a 701?
  4. Salzig

Salzig Comfortably dumb

Oddometer:
    Here in Italy two things are mandatory for Supermoto track days: a catch bottle for fuel/coolant drains and plastic sliders under the foot pegs.
    Main problem here is that most kart tracks are near towns so noise may be an issue.
    I once had to use that contraption on the muffler: ugly but effective. They called it Quasimodo :lol3

Castelletto_01.jpg
    oic, Grynch and thebigman like this.
  5. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of FS450's down-under racing.

Might see a few KTM's next year.

images (2).jpeg
    thebigman likes this.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was the pathetic AMA Supermoto schedule per Cycle News. I did 2019 so it was not one affected by Covid.

2019 AMA Supermoto National Championship Series Schedule

April 6-7: Primm, Nev., Anthony Hart Memorial Race
    May 18-19: Grand Junction, Colo.
    June 14-15: Austin, Texas, 24th Annual ROT Rally
    Aug. 3-4: Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada, 50th Grand Prix of Trois-Rivières (CMA/FIM North America sanctioned)
    Sept. 6-7: Sturgis, S.D., 7th Annual Streets of Sturgis (AMA/FIM North America sanctioned)
    Oct. 4-5: Tucson, Ariz., 5th Annual Musselman Honda Circuit

Six weekend race dates. No races east of the Mississippi in the U.S. There is one outlier - a race weekend in Quebec Canada.

That, for a national sport, is dead! It should have been strong if it had been managed right.

As for the model of bikes, sure they're still around. Apparently the black thumb of the AMA series doesn't affect the actual sales of SM type bikes too much... thank goodness.

How is Supermoto racing in Europe and Australia? Are numbers good?
    thebigman likes this.
  7. Salzig

Salzig Comfortably dumb

Oddometer:
    Pretty much disappeared now :(
    About 15 years ago it was the golden age, FIM World and European championship were full of factory teams and lots of people at the races. Manufacturers started to offer street legal Supermoto.
    It lasted 5-8 years and it just faded out. I don't even know if there's a FIM championship any more.
  8. oldskool63

oldskool63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thebigman likes this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    My wanna-be supermotos .:D

0322191822a_HDR.jpg IMG_0336.JPG sumo.JPG
    Bors, Grynch, Wattner and 1 other person like this.
  10. oldskool63

oldskool63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My smooth 550. I’ll get a pic of my Berg later

A52EBC2B-8E90-48FF-868C-5223696CF39B.jpeg
    Dirt2007, Bors, Grynch and 2 others like this.
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    I really don't get it. They were as exciting as flat track here or speedway there. Makes you wonder why. Maybe the recession in around 2006 killed it off or difficulty getting venues to race.
    Grynch likes this.
  12. markk53

Oddometer:
    I rode one of those once. A friend had one and we swapped out bikes for a bit. I was riding my KLX650C, with a 678cc overbore and pipe. It would have taken me a month to get started to deal with the power to weight and the brakes of the Aprilia - incredible! One finger and you can have it on its nose! It was funny when we swapped back. He shook his head and said, "I don't know how you can ride that thing so fast." I said, "30,000 miles and five years riding it."
    oldskool63 likes this.
  13. oldskool63

oldskool63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol, going from the KLX650 to the Ape is night and day. But, your response to your buddy was spot on!

This 04 Husky was my gateway into the Sumo world. Hooked immediately! It was stock black/blue 100th anniversary, been rode hard put up wet. Then I wanted something more bad ass, so I drove to Texas for the Berg. The Ape showed up locally for sale a few years later. Had all 3 for a while, then traded the Husky for another bike.

Our Sumo group has come and gone, but occasionally I'll head out for an afternoon of hooliganism :D

IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0003.JPG
  14. markk53

Oddometer:
    With hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel in the area where I used to live and still go back to ride, none of the guys I rode with ever went to tires that couldn't at least do half decent on those roads. They're still riding them. In the area where I now live I see several SMs, European and Japanese, running around.
  15. oldskool63

oldskool63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know a guy in Cambridge. He hosts a small Sumo Rally every year
  16. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Yes, S1 GP Supermoto is smaller and shorter this crazy year but this 28 minute video recaps last race and this coming weekend is the last Busca race...

With Chareyer, still, the man to beat... Freaky fast aliens at the front, railing around a tight track... Love it :D

Salzig and Grynch like this.
  17. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The garbage can is sick!!!!

Edit Josh Chisum who ran a Harley team named them that. " Tim, compared to an R1, it is like racing a garbage truck! "

The close racing was the most exciting thing, that I had seen in a long time.

I was in the motor home with Russel Case when Tyler O' Hara called. We were driving down to a USAC sprint car race in Perris California at the time. He was bummed about the incident where he patted Michael Barnes on the butt while passing him on the last lap of the last race for the championship of the Harley roadrace series. I am not a big Barney fan after he protested the incident. Tyler won fair and square.

Because of that incident, Tyker got second in the series and Barnes won the championship.
    thebigman and DogBoy like this.
  18. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Economy killed it.
  19. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my 04' husky off John Moore in Santa Cruz for $4600 OTD in the crate in 05'.
    Then in 06' I bought the 05' Berg 650 c for $6700 OTD in the crate. Then in 2010? I bought two Aprila 450's and one 550 brand new for almost nothing.
    oldskool63 likes this.
  20. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    oldskool63 likes this.