SuperTech 2019

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Starrett, Dec 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Starrett

Starrett n00b

Oddometer:
    Feb 1 - 3, 2019 Pennsylvania Airhead SuperTech

Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles in Boyertown, PA

The Pennsylvania Airheads will again host the SuperTech event this winter over Super Bowl Weekend. This will be a weekend extravaganza of airhead tech sessions and expert advice and experience as well as some great camaraderie. Training sessions will cover how systems and components work, how to maintain and overhaul them, how to get out of trouble on the side of the road and how to keep these great bikes safe and reliable. Sessions will mostly focus on the ‘later’ airheads from /5 through end of production. For newcomers, the BMW Airhead cutaways, the Slice-cycle and other possible goodies will be there to peruse.

We will gather for dinner and tire kicking on that Friday night for those arriving early and the tech sessions will begin at 8:00am on Saturday morning. We’ll have a light lunch and finish the sessions around 5pm. Attendees will have time to clean up and rest before the catered dinner that evening with a very special guest speaker, Bob “Snowbum” Fleischer.

Sessions will begin again Sunday morning and activities will conclude by noon. This event will be held in eastern Pennsylvania and will be open to only 60 attendees. Registration details will also be posted on the Airheads.org website on December 1st. Registration will open at that time. We will have a standby list once the max number is reached in case of last minute cancellations. We are hatching plans to make this one the best ever so stand by and book your calendars. Hope to see you there.

Registration fee is $125.00 for members and $145 for non-members. If you plan on bringing a Saturday dinner guest an additional $25 is required.

For information on how to be registered for this premiere event, please email PA Airmarshal Rob Price [email protected]. Please include your name, address, email address, member number and shirt size.

Thank you,

PA SuperTech Commission
  2. photorider

photorider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will overhauling transmissions be covered?
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Feb 1? I won't be riding across the country in Feb. So I have to fly and rent a car. Unpleasant way to travel and VERY costly. For a day and a half of tech sessions? $400-$500 for the airline, $100 for the car, $125 for the event....

I hereby give up my spot to some more well heeled airhead. Knew there was a reason I'n not an ABC member.
  4. Starrett

Starrett n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, Bob Sipp, owner of the cutaways, will be doing a session on 5-speed transmissions.
  5. Starrett

Starrett n00b

Oddometer:

I don’t disagree with you on the cost, I do, however, encourage you to join the club. The people you meet and local tech days are invaluable. I’ve met so many interesting people and learned so much more about my bike.
  6. Cookiedad

Cookiedad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having attended several SuperTech events both in PA and recently in MD, I can highly recommend it as a super way to learn about your airhead. It is organized by Pennsylvania airheads, but is open to others as a courtesy. The presenters do their best to share knowledge about these old, but wonderful, machines. Come, if you can, and learn from others including the guest speaker and presenter - the one and only Snowbum. See you in February.
    The Patagonia Kid and sdpc2 like this.
  7. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    These comments are just silly. First off if you are not a member of the ABC it is not open to you, so you are not invited. Secondly the PA airheads have been doing this for a long, long time. They are supported by the people that do come. I am lucky enough that I can easily go if I choose to, but I save that spot for someone that wants to go. Now there is nothing stopping any other ABC group from holding tech days. I have been to several in my area. Little one where guys fight over how to balance carbs and drink coffee. Join the ABC and start one of those in your area. After 30 years or so you can call yours a SuperTech, otherwise do not whine about it.
  8. Cookiedad

Cookiedad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Small correction to the above post. Supertech is open to ALL. It does cost more for non-members, probably as an incentive to join the ABC. This detail is noted in the original post.
  9. Starrett

Starrett n00b

Oddometer:
    It is open to non-ABC members at $145 instead of the member price of $125. Partly just to encourage someone to join for the year and give it a try. I know I have no issues spending $30 on less valuable things. :rofl

Anyhow...here’s the site if you are interested in checking it out.
    http://www.airheads.org/join
  10. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I think I used to be a member. The rancor on the air list drove me away. Long time ago. Maybe it's different post-Oak. Cutter has a permanent spot on my sh1t list, although I'm sorry about his troubles of late. I show up at the local tech day sometimes. I'm one of the two local tech guys. If it has gears in it I don't deal with it but I know the rest of the bike from one end to the other. If I ever get a new bike there will be new things to learn.
  11. R100PDave

R100PDave Super Dave

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm:baby
  12. Plaka

Oddometer:
    uh huh. see who shows up in riding gear----and actually rode.
  13. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lectured at a couple of Supertechs. They paid all my expenses the first year. The next year they gave me $100.00 for gas. I had a great time, but it became too much of an expense to continue.
  14. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put my name in the attendance lottery. I have been to one in PA and two in MD. Can't say I learned much of anything at the level of depth they take on, but it is always enjoyable. I have no desire to learn component repair, but I'd like to be able to properly set up a crank in a bare block. I imagine it is a bit like when I learned how to slaughter chickens - you can read about how to do it until you are a Certified Google Expert, but until you snatch one up and dump it's wing-flapping butt into the cone, it's just literature.
    bmwrench, dmftoy1 and Jim K in PA like this.
  15. jerictownsend

jerictownsend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm driving in from Pittsburgh, this will be my first event. I've been on the various lists for years and, maybe because of all my time on USENET, I am able to skip over all the bickering. I'm picking up some parts and showing off ToasterTan's new R80G/S upper fork brace if it shows up before I leave on Friday.
  16. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Not here to get into the politics of the ABC, good/bad/otherwise. I do find it odd though to host a motorcycle event at a time and place that could likely not allow one to ride to said event. I grew up less than an hour from Boyertown. So I know the winters fairly well.

I'm sure it's a fine event all the same. Just a shame it can't be hosted when more folks can ride.
  17. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect it's done at this time of year so as not to interfere with the busy riding season. The speakers-Tom Cutter , several times, and me twice-are loathe to spend this much time away from the shop in the busy season.
    bpeckm and WRC51 like this.