Supertrapp IDS2 on '03 KTM Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Jan 30, 2004.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    In order of stuff:

Yea, they are standard 3" discs. Any shop will carry or can order them... If you live in Outer Mongolia and don't have a local shop. there are a whole bunch of us that have extras laying around and can mail you some.

I did the big "50/50, cheap, looks like they will work pretty good, research thing" and came up with Maxxis 6006s. I have some sitting in the garage right now that I think I will pop on this weekend.
    ChrisC put some on his bike (had Saharas) and loves the rear, says the front is OK. About 80 bucks, the pair.

There is a pre-muffler replacement 'S' pipe available. The KTM part number is 583-05-175-400

I consider fat to be a form of ATGATT armor... to bad most of it is in my head :D
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:

:lol3 Jesus Passmore, you just sent me your "extra" discs! :rofl

PM me with an address if you need some back... :ostrich
  3. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    Must tell my wife RIGHT now that fat is CE approved armor...

Thanks for the tip ont he discs... Will order some tomorrow.

Let me knwo what you make of the tire as I will be replacing in the next week (2 max)....

Thanks a TON for the part # on the pre muff replacement! I have so much to learn yoda...

Speaking of learning, look for my post on my computer coming this evening...

4. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Sorry... I had my head up my ass there for awhile... to many exhaust threads at once. The IDS2 uses 3 inch discs... not the 4 inch the stock muffler uses.

And, I didn't look up the part... somebody else did. I just remembered where it was. :D
  5. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    I'm a dealer/manufacturer and can get the SuperTrapp IDS2, extra discs, and can do a production run on an adapter mount bracket including rubber vibration dampers. Offer everything at a decent price. Just a thought, as I've been approached on this a few times now. The reason I did not just go out and make one already is the LC4 comes with a SuperTrapp and I figured there was no reason to replace it. It looks fairly easy for you guys to just make the mods and fit the IDS2 yourselves, but if there is interest in a ready-made kit I'd be happy to do it. No spam intended here, just a thought.

-roger
  6. PASSMORE

Oddometer:
    Roger,

Definitely not spam IMO. Thanks for chiming in! I was unaware the IDS2 was still available?!?!? Could you obviously I am pretty squared away at this point (I meant the pipe, not my mind!), but could certainly use some discs... Always love to throw business to an advrider member. Let me know hot to order these from you...

Thanks Roger!

Michael

7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Hi Roger,
    The only issue of any concern I have is that the stock '03 muffer uses 3 rubber hangar mounts and you can use only 2 0f 3 with the IDS2. I've never been overly concerned, as the weight difference probably negates the need for it.
    Your thoughts on this?

And PASSMORE,
    My catalogs list the IDS2 as still available... but only with the "race core".
    The last time I spoke to someone at Supertrapp, they said the LC4 IDS2 would be discontinued. Apparently only a half-truth.

Any comment or clarification on this Roger?

Creep
  8. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    I will check with my distributor on Tuesday and confirm exactly what I can get. From my catalog, the IDS2 and two different cores are shown (racing and quiet), but I will confirm and get back to you guys on exactly what is available, with price, lead time.

On the hanger mount, the ISD2 is light. One large bolt to the bike's frame with a rubber mount will be fine. If I fab an adapter bracket it will be over-engineered and strong as hell too. This is the kind of bike that will be airborn!

For extra discs, send me a PM or email at info@adventure-motorcycle.com and I'll take care of it, no problem, I've got them on hand. Thanks!
  9. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Folks,

I can get the IDS2 Quiet Core with stainless steel connector pipe (as shown in Creeper's original thread) for the KTM LC-4. These are available, not discontinued according to my distributor (I have a call into SuperTrapp to confirm). MSRP is $259. I could offer them for $240 + $10 shipping in continental USA (via UPS Ground). International shipping would be $50 (via USPS Air Express).

It will take a few days to get this up on my web site (www.adventure-motorcycle.com). I can take PayPal or personal check as well. Let me know if there is interest out there. Thanks!

-roger
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Fair price Roger. I'm interested to hear what ST says, as they told me no cigar... but that was 6 months ago. They may have had a change of fiscal heart.
    You may want to provide this info at KTMTalk as well.
  11. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Creeper,

SuperTrapp told me today the product is a slow mover, but if they get orders they'll keep making them. So, there is no definite end of life plan, but it is heading that way. I told them all you guys here are going to buy one from me so no worries:).

Mind if I use your photos on my site?

-roger
  12. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    No problem Roger. Photos, directions, death threats... what ever blows your skirt up. :thumb
  13. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Chris,

I want to be clear on one thing. You drilled a hole 7/16" above the existing hole in the bracket welded on to the S-pipe. I cannot see this hole in your pic because that big washer is covering it up, right? Would you mind taking that bolt and washer out and snapping another pic? I want to be sure the instructions are clear on hole drilling.

Thanks for the use of the pics. Send me a PM or email with your address and I'll send you the new "Garage Girls" calendar.

-roger
  14. PASSMORE

Oddometer:
    Roger,

Keep in mind that for some reason I did not find that I needed to drill this same hole for an excellent fit, however my bracket is on the "outside" (see photos in this post) of the S pipe tab.

Michael

15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Michael, your gonna piss off creeper if you just messed up his chances of a free "garage girls" calendar!
    :rofl
  16. PASSMORE

Oddometer:
    Roger - Let me ALSO make sure you understand and collect Creeper's install as it is VERY important for cutomers to understand and view ALL contingencies (I uspect that it is also VERY important for Creep to get photos of scantily clad womens corresponding to every month!!!).

LMAO!

Michael
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    You want me to remove my side cover, unbolt the mount and take a picture?

Yea... I can do that, tonight.

I believe the difference lies in the '03 Adventure not having a 'S' pipe with crossover/pre-muffler. The slight difference in location of the '03 'S' pipe outlet warrants the "lowering" of the Supertrapp "connector" pipe ( I call it that because everone refers to the factory crossover as an 'S' pipe) by drilling a slightly higher mount hole.

M-kay?

Creep
  18. PASSMORE

Oddometer:
    So creep...

Do you think that if I replaced my pre-muff with the regular pipe that you supplied me with the part #, that I would have to remount mine as you have?

Also, what are the thoughts out there as to the performance benefits of this replacement? significant weight savings?

M

19. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    (chiming in)

i have read that most thought the performance improvements from removing the pre-muff was neglegible - but it did help quiet the SXC Comp muff.
  20. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I do not know. It may be a unique situation with my pipe on my bike. The main reason I had to do it was to clear the turn signal... if I didn't have them, I don't think I would have needed to drill the higher hole.
    I think it may be a situation where every bike is different and it is up to the end user to detrmine best fit, thats why I recommended installing the exhaust with the springs and see where everything lines up the best, then adjust the mounts to suit.

I don't know if there are any actual power gains to be had by getting rid of the pre-muffler... might be a bit lighter. :D