Supertrapp IDS2 on '03 KTM Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Jan 30, 2004.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    I gotta get in on this calendar deal....

[​IMG]

I found I needed to turn my intermediate pipe inward a bit to make it line up properly. The "U" shaped piece I fabricated allows the "S" pipe to align both of it's springs and corrects the position of the exhaust outlet so as to avoid the turn signal... :deal
  2. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    Creep, Your advice to attach the springs and then let it basically align itself was what helped most in my install. Now I am seeing ChrisC's photos... Looks like like these bikes all require some tweaking with this exhaust.

Everyone, is this common with Akra, Big Gun, etc. to anyone's knowledge?

Michael

3. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    If you read the very first post, Supertrapp lists the fitment as pre-'99, so... anything after that is a "make it fit" kinda deal.
    So far, no one has had any major problems, with ChrisC having done more to get a good fit on his bike than anyone else I am aware of. (good idea Chris :thumb )

My reason for using a Supertrapp is near unlimited tuneability, substantial weight reduction over stock, a built-in and very effective spark arrestor... and it can be made very quiet, should I chose.
    I post what I know when I know it, and should someone choose a Supertrapp because of that post... that's nice, but be prepared to use your brain... just a little, to install it. :nod

Here is that picture you asked for AdventurePipe. I apparently exagerated a bit on the diameter, it's the same size as the original hole. :D

If you want the original 371kb version, I can e-mail you that.

As to the calender... send it to who ever comes up with the most creative reason for needing it. :evil

Attached Files:

4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I need the calendar like I need a hole in my head... :huh

More spurts of wizdom there creeper! A lil self sufficiency is a good thing; very parental of you to give the others a little shove outa the nest! I am always impressed when I read and see this person fabricated this piece or reconfigured that piece. I dont have a machine shop out back - actually I don't even have a garage or lil shop :cry . But if I did, I probably couldn't do half the stuff all y'all are! :thumb

Baby steps to greatness...
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I think that's a pretty creative reason... you AP?

Spurts is about right Meat. :lol3

Nothing special... just a drill, and the knowledge that an exhaust system doesn't last too long if it's in a bind.
    Your just trying to sweet talk me into that CF airbox cover... ain't ya'? :wink: ...ya' bastidge you.
  6. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Baby steps, indeed!
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  8. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    Creeper,

Thanks for the pic of the drilled hole. Perfect. If you every need discs, clamps or anything give me a holler.

BTW - I cut off the end of those clamp bolts that stick out like that.

OK, on the calendar, these Garage Girls are not exactly Playboy material. Let's say more like the ones that did not make the first cut, or second, or third. First to PM me gets the calendar. Thanks for everyone's help on this project. It'll be up on my web site in a few days.

-roger
  9. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    My one failing to the gods of OCD... and you find it. Thanks Roger. Of course, it'll be gone by tonight. :fitz
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I think ChrisC must work in the media; I have been misquoted by a pro!

Luckily, creeper took all the heat (or giz as it were)...

:D
  11. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    Just ordered my discs from AdventurePipe...

Unsilited praise for the gent. Excellent customer service and extremely fair prices!

Highly recommend the fella!

M

Extra props for anyone who offers gurlie garage calendars too!
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    recieved my IDS2 in the mail! everything looks structurally fine but there are a few dings and scratches on it. they are actually marked with a yellow paint pen of some kind (hope that comes off). If the yellow comes off I doubt anyone will notice the dings/scratches - they are minor. i may have to leave neutral feedback for the eBay seller as he didnt mention this. i don't really care as it is minor but some people might blow a gasket. :nod

but now I have to wait b/c the carb setup and airbox are stock... so its sits in the garage until I get some jets and mod the airbox. :cry
  13. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    hey Meat,

What kind of airbox mods are you planning??? I got my bike in the shop getting ready for Dyno Time with FCR 41mx and IDS2 pipe going on.
    I just pulled the Snorkle off. I do have the side airbox screen sitting here (from KTM sommer) but can't seem to bring myself to use it when I think of all the Hurricanes and other water hazards I encounter. Should I decide to skip it, I could be persuaded to give you a deal on it if you are interested.
  14. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Swamp,

Conventional widom here seems to point to Sommer's testing that claims the side screen with the snorkel intact is the best combo. But that's with the BST. With the FCR it might work well snorkel-free. I'm still usin' the BST, and I like drawing cooling air across the regulator, so it's screen only for me.... (and I'm too big a pussy to cross that much open water...):nod

CC
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Hey Swampy,

What happen, you knock off a bank? Glad you found the dough for all those mods. Me I am eeking out a bit here and there for little stuff. The IDS2 was only $153 delivered! Hopefully PASSMORE still wants to part with his quiet core - I have a feelin that I will need it.

I am stickin with the BST so I will not be able to wing the airbox mods like you can with the FCR. I believe Sommer is correct with their side airbox mod, but I like creeper's design better with the minipods filters - he says they should hold back the water pretty well for a spell. My mechanic says to just hog out the opening under the snorkle - putting the snorkle back in once you are done - and call it good. I like the idea of that too (pennytech). I would think opening up the hole under the snorkle a similar amount as the side airbox mod may just work, but logic may fail in these situations... :lol3

Then its just a matter of the carb mods. I need some jets and then some confidence before I go about drillin slides or cuttin loops off the spring...

My biggest worry is the air:fuel mixture. I would like to get the thing at 13:1 (or was it 1:13, just read it once somewhere around here) so that I can balance power with range while keepin the temp down. I can't find anyone to speak up and say how to do this. I know some do it by eye with EGT or CHT; maybe that is the way to go? :ear
  16. tr6

tr6 Banned

Oddometer:
    It's for a dr650 but sure looks the same as the pic of the ktm.
    some one posted about small scratches, metal polish takes em right out and the super trapp looks like new again.

http://www.gopartsdirect.com/dirt/onlinecatalog2003.asp?CategoryID=98&x=30&y=11

17. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    No Meat,
    I haven't nocked off a bank, I'm just doing like my old lady and spending my bonus 4 months before I get it!!--LOL
    The reason I am going with the snorkel-off route, is because, if it gets ugly,
    I can just pop the snorkle back in for submarine days. Of course then it will be running way rich with the snorkle in but, it is the easy fix for my hurricane/swamp paranoia. I got my IDS2 with quiet core for 200 bucks and I thought I did well (you got 153!!!) I'm wondering why they bother making them at that price (can't be much profit motive).
    On another note...Anyone know how much juice a Valentine 1 draws?
    measured in amps or fractions of amps?
    Trying to wire up the bike for an excursion and don't want to go to far on draw.
  18. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    It all depends on the head (as the Bishop said to the actress)
    :lol3 On bikes up to and including '02 the snorkel should be left in and just the side screen used (even with the FCR and a full Akrapovic system). '03 and later bikes with the better flowing head will benefit from the side screen and removal of the snorkel as well. This info was provided to me by Sommer, who have done extensive testing on this subject.
  19. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yeaaaah! what HE said....Thanks KTiM,... you are my hero
  20. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Man... I wonder who the idiot was that started this thread?