Support near Cape Town South Africa offered.

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by Tau Anvil, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Tau Anvil

Tau Anvil African by trade

Oddometer:
    I live 90 km from Cape Town, South Africa in a small village. I have been racing and riding since 8 years old and love bikes, the only earthly thing I like more than bikes is traveling. SO traveling with bikes is about as good as it gets. I love reading reports and seeing people explore new places.

Last year I traveled Portugal largely due to meeting CarlosM on here and meeting him in person in my home town. He then opened his home to myself and my wife and another riding buddy. He gave us tips on where to go in Portugal and we had a traditional dinner at his house in the country. We were so spoiled and I have since tried to repay him, but he wants nothing. And then today it hit me I can pay it forward in a way.

SO my offer. I have a bungalow/flat/house next to my house in Tulbagh, South Africa. This is open to any advrider.com member who is traveling past on a trip or needing to get settled before a trip from Cape - Cairo or whatever you call it. I have a great connection with most bike dealers and repair shops in the Cape so I can connect or help you and I have a workshop you can do your last prep before the trip. You can also store a bike with me in one of my warehouses we have for work.

What is the catch?

I love traveling and I can learn something from you or I can come stay at your spot in your country on my next trip.

No you cannot stay for 3 months and get a job here and marry a local and still stay in my flat, you need to be a traveler, explorer or at least marry a local girl with a wine farm so that we can drink good wine, only then can you stay longer.

If you do not like long talks about traveling, laughing, planning routes and a braai (google it) please stay clear I will irritate you and you me.
    Archangel_SA likes this.
  2. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    Should be down around middle of February! Will let you know, thanks :)
    PS-wine/braai/traveling = about 6hrs of good times :)
  3. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    Awesome having Kyle and Stina @MotoMigrant here for 3 nights. Hope you guys have an amazing journey North.
  4. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    The host with the most! :)

We miss you guys already! Might come back! Lol
  5. Artlocks

Artlocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may be there in October. The smallest bike I could find to rent is a BMW 310. It would be nice to know someone there that I can ask for some advice. I am still a ways from the planning stage.
  6. kiwiwannafly

kiwiwannafly n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Tau -you've got the magic philosophy of pay it forwards :)
    I need a little help with info. I'm a travelling kiwi, currently frustrated in Europe with the nigh impossible complexities with buying a bike to ride to Africa. Registration, ownership, insurance etc is a red-tape nightmare that revolves around long term residency - which of course is the arch enemy of all travellers.
    Plan B may be to sail to Africa (somewhere!) and look for a bike there. What's the deal/requirements/restrictions on a foreigner buying a vehicle in SA? Specifically looking for a Transalp or similar - simple, cheap, fixable, modifiable - if it absolutely has to be left unrecovered from a hippo infested mud hole its not going to be a travel plan game changer.
    When I'm back in NZ (3-5 yrs!) door is open to all m/c travellers - with similar offer of helping out in whatever way I can.
  7. MiGSel

MiGSel GaStronaut

Oddometer:
    Hi Tau,
    I'll be in SA in November (1st-21st), staying near Cape Town.
    I'd like to rent a bike for a week or so. Any tips for a good place to rent?
    Any half decent bike will do, I'm not too fussy.
    Cheers,
    Michel
  8. Archangel_SA

Archangel_SA Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Essbee

Essbee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on the other side of the country to Tau and Archangel, if you need an overnight spot or whatever, feel free to look me up.
  10. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    Sorry travelers busy with my own traveling plans then i miss this!!!

I think buying a bike in South Africa is currently very feasible cost wise as our is economy is "broken" and leisure items are selling very cheap at secondhand markets currently.

As for short term rentals it is available and fine for 1- 3 weeks, but after that is becomes very expensive.

Maybe I need to get a "loaner" :)
  11. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    Archangel_SA likes this.
  12. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    For Africa Twin, Honda rallye 250 and GS 1200 rental also try Riders- mineke@africatwin.co.za

Tell them I sent you and you want the friend price :)
  13. Sir Dookie

Sir Dookie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And please mention to the lovely Mineke, her husband (Hentie) is short and fat.
    Archangel_SA likes this.
  14. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    IMG_4374.JPG
    Garry and his daughter Natalia visited last week.

Was great to meet them. Hopefully they are enjoying Namibia and Botswana.
    Archangel_SA likes this.
  15. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    IMG_1205.JPG
    Motomigrants Stina and Kyle. From earlier this year.
  16. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    IMG_4624.JPG

Took @MiGSel for a quick loop yesterday
  17. MiGSel

MiGSel GaStronaut

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed, and it was great!

Thanks a lot for your hospitality!
  18. LtCrashDan

LtCrashDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, they are from my neck of the woods. @Tau Anvil, I will be in Cape Town early December and have a couple of days I thought about renting a bike. I saw http://www.motorbikehire.co.za/tenererentals2.htm recommended on a thread earlier. Any experience with them? I would love to ride their 660 Tenere, its something we can't get state side. I just plan to explore a little, would love to take a day and ride the coast.

I'm curious what/where @MiGSel ended up renting?
  19. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    Hi @LtCrashDan that is good let me know when you arrive. I have never rented a bike, but it is expensive due to insurance costs in South africa. I will post some more companies on here I am not affiliated with any.

You can pm @MiGSel het rented from GS Africa I think.
  20. LtCrashDan

LtCrashDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll have free time in Cape Town Dec 6th, 7th, and 8th, returning on the 9th (later). I'm thinking of getting a rental the 6th or 7th or the 7th and 8th, but not sure what is best. There is a local sales guy willing to meet up with me Friday to show me around so I might try Saturday and Sunday to explore.