Sur-Ron Electric Dirt Bike

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Kiharaikido, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Kiharaikido

Kiharaikido Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My neighbor ordered one of these today. Anyone familiar with the brand?

Apparently I put this in the wrong section. Please move to the appropriate location.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    It is made in China and sold in the USA by Luna Cycle; this is an electric dirt bike (read motorcycle), but not a trials bike. You can have pedals put on it to try to pretend it is an electric bicycle and then go ride bike trails and really piss off folks on bikes. If you could find an appropriate place to legally ride this, it could be a lot of fun! https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron/
    DyrWolf and Kiharaikido like this.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  4. Kiharaikido

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My neighbor's Sur-Ron with my Beta

Norman Foley and DyrWolf like this.
  5. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of places are and have been like that for quite some time already. All the multi use trail around here (foot traffic, bikes, etc) is posted no motorized vehicles, so whether it's gas or electric isn't relevant. About the only benefit an electric gets you would be potentially skirting around an OHV permit requirement to ride it in the places where you can currently register to ride a dirt bike.
  6. Kiharaikido

Oddometer:
    I've been wondering how long you could get away with riding one in a campground.

7. Kiharaikido

Oddometer:
    So my neighbor pointed out there is an entire sub section on Advrider for E bikes. I don't wander out of the trials section much......

8. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you poor it in a red cup you could probably ride it s long time. What I mean is that drinking isn’t usually allowed but it’s tolerated if your not bothering others. I bet that bike would be fine to ride around on but the first wheelie or dust storm and your done
    Kiharaikido and jonnyc21 like this.
  9. motodojo

motodojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like the trials version might be sold as a conversion kit.
  10. Kiharaikido

Oddometer:
    From what I understand they have a trials subframe already. Or at least in the works. I don't think anything else changes.

11. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    All you need to do is replace that existing seat subframe with a low slung version with a plastic top and you're done. Or just remove it altogether if you don't mind landing on the rear shock from time to time.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  12. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this is just photo shopped or not, but would like to see more detail of the shock. Other than that, it looks like the basic Sur-Ron frame, battery, motor set up with a different swing arm and forks.
    DyrWolf likes this.
  13. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Again... it's a GasGas with a Sur-ron (i think) frame and electric motor photoshopped on it. There's no question as to whether or not it's photoshopped.
    Norman Foley, DyrWolf and jonnyc21 like this.
  14. artisanstone

artisanstone n00b

Oddometer:
    First post here. I own a Sur-Ron and I'm the aforementioned neighbor of the OP. I agree that the image is likely a photoshop. To my knowledge, there is a company in France that has plans to make various "body kits" for these bikes. That photo is one of theirs. I don't know if there has been any progress beyond the initial pictures. Happy to answer any questions. I do like my bike. It's primarily a "playbike" for me.
    Kiharaikido and jonnyc21 like this.
  15. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep the GG stickers on the wheel pretty much give it away as being a photoshop job... It was posted on the light-bee webpage as a "body kit" that they were working on posted in May of this year.
  16. Kiharaikido

Oddometer:
    Which iteration do you have, stone? You bought the first gen, no?
  17. artisanstone

artisanstone n00b

Oddometer:
    I guess mine would be second gen. I know they changed a few things from the very first ones. Different forks, battery charger, maybe controller.
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  18. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    The Sur-Ron is interesting! It illustrates what's going to happen to just about every sector of manufacturing, eventually: domination by Elsewhere, particulalry China, progressing from higher-volume markets to low-, to niche markets like trials.

It begins with a robust supplier base with such things as quality CNC-machined aluminum swing arms and frames and motor cases for the new Mecatecno E bike, because no European supplier can do so at a competitive price. It isn't much of a jump to putting the whole package together and selling for half or less. In a blink, Mecatecno will go up in a puff of smoke!

The good side will be lower cost, increasing market and sport participation in a way the Japanese did starting in the late 1960s. My youth was defined by a mass invigoration of motorcycling in the US higher-quality, lower-cost machines form Japan. It didn't take long before British and Euro brands were almost wiped out entirely.

Back in the early `90s some of my engineering friends were rushing off to boom town China. Perhaps they struck it rich? Perhaps they were forced to give up majority ownership of their companies to the government? At the time I said to them, "I hope you know you are part of handing them the keys to empire." They went anyway, even as we go anyway and shop at stores that are now just about 100% Chinese in goods origin because they are good and cheap. Short-term interest trumps the long term, often.

Sur-Ron is it is not a trials bike, however. See the front-end rake angle? I suppose one could cut that aluminum frame behind the steering head and pull the rake in a bunch, then re weld it?

I'm curious about the quality of components. No question the Chinese do quality stuff. So far the moto and ATV stuff has been sub par when it is a whole Chinese package, as in looking interesting, but lacking in the details. But I may be a few years behind on this.

AJP of Portugal uses Chinese motors in their smaller models, and I'll bet many basic components, while they still use the European supplier base, are 'sourced in Asia', or the Euro companies are manufacturing in China (and giving a majority stake to the Chicom government).

AJP.JPG

I will also bet on some Chinese government supported hacker and info gathering house has probably already sucked up all the information of every Euro manufacturer of off road and trials machines. It's just a matter of when to produce a machine.

This is not envy talking. I admire what the Chicoms have done in embracing capitalism in a huge way (yet under strict autocratic political and informational control). Meanwhile in the West... a plague of university professors indoctrinate young skulls full of grey paste that capitalism is evil and that they should be kept 'safe' from a well structured argument... while violently tossing bike racks through windows....

Human history certainly isn't boring.
    Huzband and jonnyc21 like this.
  19. motodojo

motodojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to this, they spent $30 million developing the bike with a small army of engineers.
    https://ridesurron.com/about-us/

Looks like that AJP uses a SWM motor which could be old Husky designs. The resurrected SWM brand is China funded. Maybe they bought the old Husky designs from GG?
  20. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    Could be. AJP says the bigger motor is "Italian." Could be an Italian company manufacturing in China. Is SWM Italian?