Sur-Ron powertrain kits for DIY e-moto conversions

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by 81forest, Jun 20, 2018.

1. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Initial reports for the "light bee" or whatever it's called have been good, but that thing just looks like a big weird pit bike and I am not too interested. The drivetrain mods, however, are potentially really cool because you can stuff a way bigger motor in there, mess with the software via opensource if you know how to do that stuff, like the guys at Luna have done. Still stuck in that ridiculous pit bike looking frame though.

Sur-Ron is apparently offering "powertrains" on their website, but no info on how much they cost, when they will be available, etc: http://www.sur-ron.com/page214?_l=en

My dream is to convert my little Husky TE250 into an ebike for riding trails. I only need a couple of hours range, and using the Alta Redshift as a comparison, I want to use about 1.45kwh on a ride. This should be more than doable with one of these powertrain kits. If they can be had for under $2k, then spend another grand on battery(ies), could be a really fun project!

I posted this question on endless sphere, the ebike forum, but those guys are such engineer-nerds that I think they actually like the complexity of picking individual motor, controllers, and everything else. I do not, I want a kit. Has anyone tried to "de-ICE" their moto? I'd love to hear about it!
    Car Sun Key and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  2. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you ever get any more info or prices on these components?
  3. roma258

roma258 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a bad idea, tbh. The Light Bee weights about 110 pounds, while the TE250 clocks in at about 240ish? So, a 5000 watt motor which is equivalent of about 7 hp, stuffed in a 240 pound chassis sounds like a recipe for a slow, boring bike. I frankly don't see the point.
  4. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. vashonz

vashonz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend/mechanic in Tacoma de-thermics bikes, quads, and gocarts and puts electric motors in. I'd recommend talking to him, he should be able to steer you in the right direction/put together a kit for you.
  6. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    I contacted sur-Ron weeks ago and got a reply but no answers to my questions. I guess the pictured “kits” are not available, and with the new tariffs, it’s not surprising we don’t know how much they would cost. Potential is there though.

Dentvet you are right, I’m interested in one of the “twin” motors, not the 5kw motor in the light bee.

Vashonz, thanks for the contact. Right in our backyard!
  7. Errant

Errant Wandering Aimlessly

Oddometer:

The idea would be to remove the Internal Combustion Engine, fuel and oil and associated parts before you put the Electric motor in... might change the weight of your TE250 a bit.

Roughly, the Sur Ron 'Light Bee' motor claims:
    32Nm Torque
    Max Power: 5400W

This is my planned build - I know the TE250 outputs more power than a Honda Grom, but

The Grom ICE claims:
    8.04ft-lb= 10.90078Nm
    9.7HP = 7.2kW

This is for commuting, not tearing through the bush. I'm guessing a TE250 chassis and brakes wouldn't weigh too much more than a Grom. roma258 has a point - if you want a performance machine, another motor / controller combo might be worth looking at. If you can pick up a Sur Ron motor somewhere, might be a fun experiment and provide valuable insight and experience in building an electric bike. Perhaps try Golden Motors - very common and should still be available in the USA as stock with local suppliers (no tariff?). The pricey part is the battery.

My guess is the twin motor is for their 'Ghost' project - probably not in full production anyway. Going to be challenging with the new financial dynamic (ahem.. Trade War) thing.