Surprisingly high paced rides

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Flacrusher, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Flacrusher

Flacrusher So Many Bikes... So Little time

Oddometer:
    i’m a pretty conservative rider by most standards and most people that know me would agree. That being said, I wondered how often guys get together with their riding buddies and get surprised by what might be considered a spirited pace?

You know... hey let’s meet at 7am on Sunday and ride out to a remote breakfast location followed by another 100 miles and then home by lunch type of thing. Normal, middle aged guys with no ego’s who normally ride at 5-10 mph over the limit even though the bikes are way more capable of a faster pace..

Shortly into the ride, in a remote location, the leader starts setting a pace not consistent with previous rides. Not what would be considered dangerous or frightening or “completely” irresponsible (unless you’re LEO). You know...spirited... like pretty fast for long stretches where there is no traffic and no side roads.

I had one of these rides recently and although it was nerve racking, worrying about tickets and the environment. I also found it quite energizing and fun. No, I don’t see myself doing it again any time soon, but there was a part of me that said... Holy $h1T, that was unexpected and frankly enjoyable.

I told my pals, thanks for the flight lessons but let’s ride next time. Anybody else experienced this with their rather conservative riding buddies that are not x-racers?

And yeah, I know, I could have backed off and rode my own ride. I obviously chose not to with the understanding of the consequences. Flame suit on!
  2. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ummm...this story sounds a lot like my group in Las Vegas. Did I do this to you?
  3. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I normally ride alone. If you were uncomfortable with the pace, pull over.

Beware the red mist.
    neanderthal and Milosh like this.
  4. Flacrusher

Oddometer:
    Nope, local ride in So Fla
  5. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, good. I was actually sweating it! I mean, that description is EXACTLY my Sunday
  6. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I agree it can be fun but it's too easy to get carried away. Saw a guy with some road rash after a high-side because of it. That's one reason I choose to ride alone (besides being anti-social).
  7. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love those rides. And the more everyone gets to know each other, the more you know your place in line. Eventually, there is a stop sign and everyone can catch up. Don't consider it nerve wracking. Consider it a great day following faster riders, not worried about leading or deer or cops. It is always my absolute pleasure following quicker riders. I learn so much. And, if I am blocking the guy behind me, I am in the wrong place in line. I always go faster and smoother with better lines following quicker riders. Without exception that I can think of at this time. 53 years old btw.

And, maybe I am lucky, but when we wind up at a coffee shop or lunch, I have never heard anyone give someone crap about their pace - except to say, "by the fourth curve, I couldn't see your helmet anymore..." And that was usually me talking to the guy in front of me.
    kwthom, Speedtrap, CheapB and 4 others like this.
  8. Flacrusher

Oddometer:
    I think some of the enthusiasm stems from 2 guys getting new bikes that are more capable than their previous cruisers. Again, we’re not talking about guys riding beyond their limits here. We are all capable of being dumbasses and not wadding our shit up. We could ride like this all the time but we don’t.
  9. pnhd65

pnhd65 renaissance man

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my daily commute, albeit, solo.
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  10. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Over the years my best riding friends and I have come to the conclusion: our "normal" is pretty quick. We're not racing, we're not crazy. What feels like 70% is...quick. "Spirited" takes on a new meaning...it's reserved.

When we ride with others, we dial it back from there. We wait at turns, stop signs, etc. Never have lost a rider with us.

One of the things that came with speed and maturity for us, is courtesy. We make the most of the company we are offered.
    Ibraz, 413Sean, ACR and 7 others like this.
  11. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is why I now ride a Monkey
    JaySwear and mountaincadre like this.
  12. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    I ride with a semi cohesive club of about a dozen guys (usuallly no mlre than 4 or 5 on amy given ride) of all kinds of abilities and bikes. It's not hard to simply wait for the slower riders at major intersections. We've very rarely ever gotten confused and in this day and age of cell phones, gps, and intercoms, it's not a big deal at alll if we do get split up.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to but not anymore, mainly because I don't know the individuals enough to gauge what their riding talent is. My brother, son and I are all WERA racers (he retired). Those are the only two that I really want to ride with because we know their next move before they even do it. On the very rare occasion when I do a group ride with some of the local guys, I always take what I call the "grandpa" spot...last in line.
  14. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Firstly, sorry about my pace on any rides I've headed. My riding buddies and I think that getting gas is "pitting up". :lol3
  15. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the pace picks up I’m usually ready, I expect it to, depending on the group. Being slow, and old to boot means I usually hang back, at least at first. As someone else mentioned, people usually slot into their comfort zone.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    What is even worse is when you're used to a spirited pace and go on a ride with people who don't even approach the speed limit. I bailed on one like that a few years ago because it was so frustratingly slow.
    Lowen, Ibraz, patmo and 8 others like this.
  17. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is always a race.
    Moto Jimmy, ACR, oic and 1 other person like this.
  18. SwitchThrottle

SwitchThrottle Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer:
    I haven't been in a while, but Sunday rides with the supermoto crew was usually "spirited", and faster paced than most would be comfortable with.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. Flacrusher

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave, Offroad.. it cant be too spirited. Always a pleasure to ride “behind” you!

Might have to hook up soon. I’m getting a 690!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I'd love to get together for a ride man, just let me know! :beer