Surprisingly high paced rides

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Flacrusher, Aug 21, 2019.

1. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In 2012 My uncle had one of those rides. Added to it he had 1 beer at lunch.....and over lunch he never mentioned to the other riders that he was feeling a bit overwhelmed by their pace.

Mistake 1. He didn't slow down to his own pace before lunch
    Mistake 2. He had a beer with lunch( probably not really a major cause of the accident, but not smart)
    Mistake 3. Didn't mention at lunch the pace was a little too quick
    Mistake 4. He didn't slow down to his own pace after lunch

He lost control in a corner and slid into a barbed wire fence. He lost the lower part of his leg that day. He told me in the hospital of his 4 mistakes....HE TOLD ME WHERE HE MESSED UP THAT DAY.

May 2019 He developed an internal infection in his injured leg. He died 7 years after his accident from complications from the accident.

Never stupid to just slow down. And you should never shame the rider that slows down!
    Bill 310, Motor7, Bors and 7 others like this.
  2. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bah, fast rectangles.
    Rider2 likes this.
  3. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha ha ha , "middle aged guys with no egos"? That ride motorcycles ? Where do you find those ?? I'm 53 now and even on my Harley, every commute is a race. And who doesn't love throwing some sparks in the curves.
    c_m_shooter and Vistavette like this.
  4. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="X-wing fighter,
    Never stupid to just slow down. And you should never shame the rider that slows down![/QUOTE]

So sad to hear it X-wing. At least he could pass on a little wisdom from that tragedy. Thanks for sharing.
  5. Mykola

Mykola Stoked

Oddometer:
    comment/user image synergy @ 100%
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen people get "sucked into" a turn following a rider of of much higher ability and then over shot the turn and crash. Riding at 100% of your limits is dangerous enough, riding at 110% is stupid.

Short time alive, long time dead.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    All the group I ride with are easily capable of going way faster than we do. Occasionally (usually when we're in the mountains, on the twisties somewhere) someone will drop back so they can have a bit of fun catching back up or they'll take off ahead and wait for the rest of us. NBD. If we have someone with who appears to be out of their comfort zone, we don't invite them next time - This is not complicated.
  8. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did some rides like that in my younger days. A few memorable ones were in central Oregon with mostly accomplished racers who refereed to the rides as "felony runs".
    I was typically the slowest as I wasn't an accomplished racer, and I found taking in the scenery far more interesting than going fast.
  9. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know you can go to jail for that;)
    Traxx and Ginger Beard like this.
  10. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:

Damhik! Beat me to it!

I thought the exact thing when I read that.
    DirtyRoadie and Traxx like this.
  11. oic

oic Business is ALWAYS personal

Oddometer:
    I live in an area of great twisty roads in every direction, I am happiest just doing hot laps in a 30 mile radius. Its all racetrack. The guys I normally ride with are all fast and predictable so much fun. I am much more of a menace if we slow down and I lose my focus. Riding at 75% I am much safer and it takes less effort than a fun pace.
  12. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as you know your destination ride your own ride. They will be there when you arrive. If your uncomfortable, don't push it.
    Macho Man2 and X-wing fighter like this.
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reason I ride alone. Don't mind slowing down when asked but I'd had a couple people attempt to match my pace when it was outside their skillset and it ended poorly. I feel guilty for that and don't ride in groups anymore.
    GarryPrater likes this.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mostly prefer to ride alone too. I find cruiser type rides too "exciting" and chaotic, sport type rides are too "boring" and repetitive. I do enjoy riding forest service roads, or destination rides with a few others.
  15. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry we both consent.
    A_Vasiliev, mountaincadre and Traxx like this.
  16. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Inactive User

Oddometer:
    I think the onus is on the slower rider to know their limits and make sure they agree on terms with the faster one. Riding with someone better than you is critical from a skills development point of view (unless you're already the best rider in the whole, wide world). There has to be a way to make it work.
    oic likes this.
  17. Flacrusher

Flacrusher So Many Bikes... So Little time

Oddometer:
    It's interesting to see the different comments made in this post. I imagine I'm similar to a fair amount of riders on this forum. Started riding 40 years ago with a t-shirt, shorts and the cheapest helmet I could find. Rode most of my young adult life like I was invincible, instead of invisible. We rode in groups, were quite unorganized and, in truth, a detriment to those around us. Quite frankly, we just didn't care because we were young, immature and thoughtless.

As the years moved on, the maturity increased and mortality became more apparent. Our hooligan nature lessened and our antics were reserved for areas more off the grid. Places you could have some fun without putting others at risk. I've always felt bad for any rider who had an unanticipated/premature get off. But, it's not my responsibility to ride at anyone else's pace. If I'm too fast, make me wait when I don't see you. If I'm too slow, please wait for me at the next turn. Slower riders usually don't slow the group down by much. It's their inner conscience that makes them feel like they are slowing things down. Know your limits.

Nowadays, I ride with very few guys in a group. I'm typically alone and doing my own thing. The idiots from this past weekend, are close riding friends with excellent skills and usually show good judgement. On that day, however, things were different and although I'm not condoning what we did, I had a very good time doing it. If the pace on the next ride is the same, I'll back off and make them wait or leave me, just because I don't like the idea of the penalty and fine for xx over the speed limit. Otherwise, I'd probably ride around them and watch their headlights get smaller:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
    ozmoses and Huzband like this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I go on group rides a lot. Well over half of the time I am leading the ride. I make sure to let everyone know what the pace will be and that everyone should ride their own ride. We will wait for the slower riders. This has worked well for me on hundreds of group rides. Occasionally it doesn't. When you get a bunch of people together for a ride there is always a chance of someone breaking down or worse yet crashing. Shit Happens. I have enjoyed those rides far too much to stop riding with others.

I just led 3 days of rides on some of the twistiest and most fun roads in the country. We had 6, 10 and 5 riders on those three days. I had not met most of those riders previously except on ADV. Everyone had a great time. We pushed pretty hard in the curves but nobody crashed and nobody broke down. I took a chance setting up those rides but I had a great time and now have several new friends who I hope to ride with again in the future.
    Macho Man2, JohnCW and oic like this.
  19. oic

oic Business is ALWAYS personal

Oddometer:
    Its a lot of fun when you first ride with someone and they get with it right off the bat. Go through a tricky set of corners you know well expecting to see them back a bit and they hung right there with no drama.
    CheapB and klaviator like this.
  20. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the best. R.I.P brother.