Surprisingly high paced rides

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Flacrusher, Aug 21, 2019.

1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    On almost every "surprisingly high paced" group ride I have been on, someone has ridden over their ability level and crashed. As I am tired of witnessing this, administering first aid, and waiting for an ambulance, I no longer opt to participate in such rides.
    Davidprej likes this.
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    My thoughts, your words. The few times I've paired up, I've found that there's the competitive pressure - always from the others, and if I'm leading I'll eventually be waved behind.

Now I'm no slouch but I don't have a need to prove anything except that I can ride again tomorrow and next year. But some people have an instinct to turn it into a road rally.

In the end, generally, I've been goaded into riding faster than I was comfy with. Which is not smart. But I'm not happy about just dropping out without some sort of conference or word.
  3. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2c:
    Sportbike group rides ALWAYS turn into a dick measuring contest, particularly if it's a group of strangers. I avoid them like the plague.

Words of wisdom from mentors:
    "Smoother is always better"
    "There's always someone faster than you"
    CaseyJones likes this.
  4. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    Go slow, learn slow. Go fast, crash fast
    vince82 likes this.
  5. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forty years on bikes, with some road racing early and other track time since. I still find myself getting sucked into to going quicker than I normally would, every now and again when riding with someone I don't know that well.

Do I have fun? Certainly. Is it smart? I don't think so.

Social influences affect judgment in subtle ways, and IMO it happens before thought.
  6. scott123007

scott123007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is comical to read all the excuses of why we have become pussies, by lowering the bar of what is acceptable to us anymore, as we age.
    Steve W., Traxx and JohnCW like this.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Not to mention all the worn out cliches. You would think by now people would have come up with some new ones.
  8. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Big reason why I sold my FZ-09. Fun bike, but far too easy to get stupid with.

Sold it to some kid with no riding gear, about 200 miles of actual seat time, and no helmet. Good luck to him.
  9. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Generally I ride with one guy for this reason. I like having someone else there for safety purposes, but my friend and I ride at about exactly the same style. Not too fast or too slow. We take turns leading as well. I know that if I speed up he will ride his own pace, and vice versa. We have ridden thousands of miles together and never had a single issue.

I went on one big group ride, it was a nightmare. Never again.
    Bill 310, markk53 and Moronic like this.
  10. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My big group ride experiences are pretty good.
    I used to ride with the FazerItalia group, they were awesome. Although there were a few accidents, it wasn't due to the group having a stupid pace but some outsider joining and playing idiot.

Now I mostly ride with a couple other guys, one goes too fast on the straights but I just let him lead there. And the only real risk there is to your wallet and license.
    markk53 likes this.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Big groups usually have a lot of people you don't know well and are fertile ground for all sorts of ass-hattery. The OP was talking about a smaller group where one or more had too many wheaties that morning. He let himself get sucked in and was conflicted because it was both fun and scary.
    Moronic and JohnCW like this.
  12. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are all reasons why ever since my late 20s I’ve vastly preferred to ride by myself on the street. Dirt is the opposite for me, I feel it’s safer to have a few people around and harder to get sucked into riding way over your head. Or if you do the risks are way less anyway.
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did one ride like the OP's, back when I showed up on a sport tourer to a sportbike group's ride. I had no issues keeping up with (and exceeding) the fairly unskilled guy who was put as lead (with the real leader in the back on sweep) - doing the whole 20-30 over on straights and hard braking through turns thing.

It was exhilarating, and then when I got home I realized how extremely stupid we were to be doing that on backroads VA - where 15 over is a felony, and deer lurk in ambush. Now I ride an ADV, try and find roads where 10 over is hard between the blind corners and sharpness, and have fun by myself or with one or two others.
  14. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I prefer roads where 60MPH is terrifying. Lots of back and forth up and down. Roads where high speeds aren't necessary for a spirited ride. However that kinda road is beyond many riders comfort level hence the ride alone thing.
    klaviator likes this.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have done hundreds of group rides over the years. Most of them were great. Occasionally there have been crashes. Sometimes I do ride faster than I would alone. Sometimes I ride slower because it's a slow group. I have never experienced some of the stuff the group ride haters have posted here. I have never crashed on a group ride on the street. If anything I feel safer on a group ride. If something happens there are people around to help. Riding alone you you could go off the road and not be found for weeks.

I have ridden with all kinds of riders hard core sportbike riders to Harley riders. There have been very few that I wouldn't ride with again. I'm not going to stop riding with groups because some people have posted how dangerous it is on this forum. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. If I listened to other people I wouldn't ride at all.

If safety was my primary goal then I'd just get together with some friends and drive somewhere in a minivan or SUV. Of course I'm sure someone here will point out how dangerous or unpleasant that could be. What if someone in the SUV farted or something?:rofl

I recently spent 3 days riding with a bunch of guys, most of us had never met each other before except on this forum. Some of the riders did comment about not normally riding that fast in the curves but no one crashed and everyone had a great time. I'm pretty sure some, maybe most of the riders improved their twisty road skills on those three days. I did scrape a few hard parts but never scared myself or felt I had any close calls. Spending three days ripping up a bunch of curvy roads with a bunch of like minded riders was an absolute blast. I made sure everyone knew to ride their own pace and we would wait. That's what we did.

Do I let my ego push me to ride a faster on a group ride. I sure do. It makes me a better rider. Is it unsafe? I am more focused and have fewer close calls when pushing it than when I'm just cruising and not as focused. If the rider ahead is going faster than I fell is safe for me then I don't try to keep up.
    JohnCW likes this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Back in my younger sportbike days triple digit speeds are common. Now I prefer the really tight stuff. I know many riders wouldn't like some of the really tight stuff I like to ride but that's fine with me. On some of my favorite roads I have never seen another motorcycle except those riding with me. They are all off riding the easier and more famous roads like the dragon or Skyway. On some of my favorites it feels like I'm about to run over my own tail light:D Speeds? I don't think I even exceeded 60 on my last trip but I was having plenty of fun in the curves.
    Motor7 and GarryPrater like this.
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, where I’m riding as much as possible, 60mph would be insane - especially since I’m on a lot of 1 or 1.5 lane unmarked country roads. I do try and not outride my ability to brake for unexpected wildlife or vehicles, the latter of which seem to often be halfway into my lane when I least want them.
    Vistavette, GarryPrater and klaviator like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The thing about those really narrow roads is that you can FEEL like you are hauling ass without actually going very fast.
  19. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:

That is what's fun about it, plus you are still within the posted speed limits. Most Ohio roads in the countryside are 50 mph if not posted otherwise. The yellow recommended speed signs are just that - recommended, not legal limits. The wildest roads in south - southeast Ohio are 50-55 mph, but the nature of them makes those speeds virtually unattainable in most corners. Sure you could pull faster on the straights, but that's not where the fun is. Imagine riding road race quality turns without ever exceeding the speed limits. How good is that.
  20. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rarely hang off on the street and the Tuono sits high so is capable of some pretty insane lean angles w/o touching anything down. I've had more than a few say "how can you lean that thing over so far going so slow?" and I just say "trust in my tires." And I don't bother with super stickies either. Just a sport touring tire. Can't stand nor afford a tire every 30-40 days.
    klaviator and GarryPrater like this.