Surprisingly high paced rides

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Flacrusher, Aug 21, 2019.

1. mtech1950

mtech1950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ain't camber thrust the best feeling?
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    You mean on a motorcycle or ... :eekers
  3. little foot

little foot seriously not serious Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride alone.
  4. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I did a charity ride one day that got stupid. They were on the busy highway doing triple digit speeds around and through the traffic. I was on a maxi-scooter with the throttle wide open.

I let the big group go and pulled in just as the tail enders were still parking their bikes.

My previous stupid speed ride was a BMW demo day ride. We were doing big ticket speeds on the highway and through a tunnel. I had no idea where the ride was going. The dealer is no longer in business.
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I let people go past me all the time. I sometimes catch up when one of them has done something stupid.

The slower I go, the longer the ride takes and the less chores I can do.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Try Japan if you can even touch 60mph you are on an open sweeping road most your corner speed are touching things by 70km/h

I kill ST Tires loke Roadtec 01s in sub 5000km ranges
  7. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Depends on the definition of “sprited”... 5-15 over in the straights, and not parking in corners, riding safely, and in control... that’s fine. Triple digits, or going in super hot on corners, go find a race track and don’t put people at risk.

If you find yourself on a ride you don’t like, give a heads up, peel off, and don’t ride with those folks anymore.

Pretty simple.

Barry
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:

Third gear no/little brake application using engine braking and throttle to modulate speed on a tight back road. Like Rt. 50 from east of Fellowsville down to the Cheat river crossing. Way tighter than it looks here with a lot of elevation change. needs repaving too really bumpy in sections. Give the suspension a real workout.

rt50 copy.jpg
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Love Rt 50, also Rt 250. Is that turn over by Frog Hollow Rd the one where there is one arrow pointing one direction, then about 15 feet over is another pointing the opposite direction? If so that is the turn where if you hear an air horn it is a semi taking up both lanes trying to make the turn. Loved it, got a picture of my friend standing betweent the signs pointing each way kinda confused looking.
  10. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just rode with a group of 15 riders for three days in NC, Tn, and Georgia. I’d only ridden with one of them before, Ed, the one that invited me. We have ridden thousands of miles together. Ed, and I stayed at the back with one other rider doing the slingshot stuff. Ed and I also broke from the group all three days at some point to do our own thing. Of course we let them know ahead of time.

I’m 59, and still love riding spiritedly. It’s not about ego though, it’s just the way I enjoy riding most. The day our group rode the Dragon they all stopped to use the bathroom, shop, shoot the breeze, etc. I took out immediately following a couple of sport bikes, had a quick chat with them at the overlook, then rode back to Deal’s Gap store. Saw a few of the group on the way, but most of them were still at the store getting ready to ride so I headed back before they took off. Only lightly scraped a floorboard one time following the sport bikes. Absolutely hate scraping anything on my bikes.
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  11. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't mind scraping things once in a while, though it scares the crap out of my wife when she's on the back. It's difficult not scraping the boards on the Electra Glide on any kind of twisty road. A little more effort to throw sparks on the S10, however when riding roads like the Dragon or in the Mountains of West Virginia you kind of get in a rythme and the next thing ya know...
    I'm jealous of you guys, I wish I could get down there this fall.
  12. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    First time the ex and I rode the curves 2up in northeast Georgia she asked me why I was leaning my upper body so much, and to stop it. So I did and started scraping the floorboards, then she hollered...LEAN LEAN! :lol3
    I push the bike pretty hard weighting the inside of the curves, don’t wanna be scraping when a decreasing radius curve pops up. Like to have that safety margin where I can scrape if I have to.
    Huzband likes this.
  13. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's rarely the pace that's an issue for me on fast group rides. Unless you're actively racing and deliberately trying to lose one another (which is a really stupid thing to do on a public highway) I find riding in a group slows the pace because there's other people's whereabouts and keeping the group together to think about. When I'm on my own - or perhaps riding with just one or maybe two other people who I've ridden with many times before and can gel with - I can get in the zone.

It's the conduct and abilities of other riders that alarms me, especially if I haven't ridden with them before. There always seems to be someone who thinks they're faster than they really are or are trying too hard to impress. I rode with two like that a while ago (both youngsters) and hung back and just watched them, keeping pace but from a safe distance. They were on each other's tail pipes constantly, each trying to prove they were the fastest (though not actually riding all that fast) while showing no awareness of other traffic, road positioning or cornering lines. Eventually I got fed up with watching their antics and when the traffic thinned out I overtook the pair of them, upping their average pace by about 25 mph. They chased after me of course and on the first fast sweeper both turned too soon and understeered and I saw them in my mirrors going miles wide and drifting over the centreline into the oncoming lane. They got away with it but I won't ride with them again.
  14. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple co-workers were bitching about the pace of a "lunch ride" they went on this past weekend. I asked what was the problem and they said something about two up and scraping stuff. I looked at 'em and said stop that and slow the fuck down no reason to do that if it bothers you. Looked at me like I told them to pay extra taxes.
  15. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Humblebrag?
  16. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Again, this is the basement... little riding goes on around here.
    Tripped1 likes this.
  17. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell me about it. I've only done 10,000 miles and three sets of tyres since May. And I haven't even done any trips this year. Must try harder.
    kwthom likes this.
  18. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    Referring to the motivation for a story told by an inmate's coworker. That person may actually ride.
  19. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Shocking, I tell ya.

[​IMG]

:lol3
  20. C/1/509

Oddometer: