Surprisingly high paced rides

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Flacrusher, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great road. I love that tight nadgery stuff. Doesn't have to be fast to be fun.

This is one of my favourites in the UK. It will be very familiar to most UK bikers. Similar landscape to yours by the look of it. A steep, tight twisty pass over high moorland. You can get up 80-90 mph on the straight bits if you want to (though it's highly inadvisable because of wondering sheep and verges strewn with boulders) but it's the second and third gear sub-50 mph tight stuff that really challenges you.
    It's a narrow road strung through a great expansive landscape with few roadside features to impair your visibility or give a sense of scale. You can see a long way ahead but a small road in a big space really messes with your sense of perspective and perception of speed, fooling you into thinking the straight before the hairpin is a lot longer than it really is, and what looks like long fast sweeper that's half a mile away turns out to be a much tighter and closer turn than you thought when it shoots out of the landscape to meet you much sooner than you were anticipating.

Last time I was there back in July I rode it end to end six times and boiled my rear fluid with all the trail braking.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8694637,-3.8517968,11849a,35y,90h/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:

Rider Pins Bike 15 Seconds Into The Match!

[​IMG]
  3. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Rode in LA on a friend's bike, in order to get northwards and out of LA to go tour the rest of California. I picked up the local lanesplitting tendencies quickly, but eventually I got a little too comfortable and started playing along with a fellow on a Ducati Monster.

I eventually looked down at my speedometer and realized I had suddenly become that squid blasting at 85 mph between traffic. I let the Ducati carry on at speed but slowed myself down significantly. Going back into LA three days later, on my return from another thousand miles of touring, I never split above 45 mph and was much happier for it.

I think that's the first time "Ride Your Own Ride" has really hit home for me
    klaviator likes this.
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Passed a couple of guys last Sunday on a nice back road. Simply because I wanted to ride w/o company. A couple turns later one of them passes me back at a high rate of speed and disappeared up the road using every bit of it. I guess he showed me.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  5. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Maybe not. Might have just been having fun. Sometimes on group rides, on big safe roads, I will blow pass the leader and then let him pass me back. In my mind it is all good fun and I would trade off like that all day. But a couple of times I have gotten an attitude at the lunch stop. To me it was just good fun. One other time this summer I had a Harley Rider shaking his fist at me. I was waiting to pass that guy and he started throwing his bike through the turns like we were racing. You never know what the other guy is thinking, is my point.
    Mofo Flake and mitchxout like this.
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah this guy wanted to race.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  7. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    I definitely only "race" ( meaning pretend to ) with good friends who are excellent riders. Its like an exhibition bout in boxing. You show off your skills, and nobody gets hurt, or even scared. No way I'd race some random bike on the road.

I hope.
  8. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did that to a couple of guys poking along on Harleys. First long straight they both pass me with all they got........ just to settle down to their old pace.

Being on a Ural I didn't want to play whatever game they were playing, so I took the first crossroad I came to.
    I've had riders pace me so they could watch a sidecar go through some twisties, but never someone who wanted to race me.
  9. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    The only time it has really bothered me was two guys (on the usual brand with loud pipes, etc.) on a nice twisty road, blasting along the short straights WFO so I couldn't pass, then crawling through the corners so slowly that even if I coasted along the straights I was on the brakes in the corner to avoid running them over. Not what I'd call a high paced ride and, if I'd passed them, I'm sure they would not have kept up with me past the first corner. They appeared to be at THEIR limits, however, as they were obviously aware I was there and doing their best to stay ahead and prevent me passing. I was on my old R1100GS. If I'd been on the current KTM 1290 I'd have dusted their asses on the first straight and it would have been a non-issue.
    Mofo Flake and X5- like this.
  10. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    See "there is no use for all of that power on the street" My ass, people need to get dusted.

Its generally not an issue in Japan, 9/10 times if a rider (or group) sees you appear on their rear wheel, they will hit the fog line and wave you by. Occasionally you will get a hot shoe that will get into the throttle but that is fine as well, its a lot easier to follow a guy moving at your pace than to lead it anyway. Uusually, the latter only lasts until there is a conbini or road station, the Japanese are genetically incapable of passing up ice cream..
    Traxx likes this.
  11. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Group rides can be a blast (even including riders from novice to expert) and pace will always be a four letter word.
  12. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the "usual brand" friends I know ride this way. Blast down the straights then tiptoe thru the curves.
  13. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surprised they managed to fend off even an old R1100GS on the straights. Had one of your spark plugs fallen out?
  14. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Pretty much any of the larger HD motors is going to have as much or more torque and possibly more HP than the old oilhead GS. I probably still had a small power/weight ratio advantage but not enough to pass two bikes with a decent safety margin.
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    A stock 108 Harley only makes like 68hp. You had
    A significant power to weight advantage.
  16. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    A stock R1100GS has 80, maybe 85 hp. Say 20% more power. However, as we all know, acceleration is all about torque. The H-D 108 supposedly makes 110 ftlb v's the BMW's 72. The H-D therefore has a 35% torque advantage.

With rider and luggage I bet the ol' GS tips the scales at a hair over 800 pounds. I don't know much about HD models but a stock 08 Street Glide is listed as 750 pounds. Call that 1000 with rider and luggage. That puts it 25% heaver.

Average all that out and you get...? Maybe comparing 0-60 times would be a better measure but I haven't looked those up.

At the time, on the road, by personal first-hand experience I can say that the BMW was faster but not enough to get by the rolling roadblock on that particular road. I could especially come out of corners a lot faster but by the time I was accelerating hard, the Harley pilots were already straight up and hard on it too. It pains me to admit that I couldn't pass a cruiser but it did happen, once, and I wrote about it here. :lol3
    Hamamelis and Sal Pairadice like this.
  17. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Not with enough safety margin. Had you passed them coming out of the turn and they went WOT, it would have to be a looong straightaway. Depends n the road.

There are some roads you can't get past a fast 250 without risking everybody's everything.
    Mofo Flake likes this.
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A stock 107 makes 78HP/100+FT-LBS on our dyno. A minor tweak makes 89HP and 110+FT-LBS. The numbers are deceiving as well. They run rather well. With great fuel economy for such a large displacement. Reason the torque figures are marked + is the different model's exhausts play a role in how well they breathe.
    Hamamelis and Traxx like this.
  19. X5-

X5- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like ice cream!! but rarely stop on a ride to get some.
  20. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I always stop for ice cream, that is why I ride, I need bigger pants now.